Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Carman,s canine call [Re: WadeRyan] #6596741
08/17/19 01:36 PM
08/17/19 01:36 PM
Sc
A
Alwaysright Offline
trapper
Alwaysright  Offline
trapper
A

Sc
OMG THANK you for that link been trying to find it
Wade Ryan !!!

Last edited by Alwaysright; 08/17/19 01:37 PM.
Re: Carman,s canine call [Re: wr otis] #6597469
08/18/19 05:44 PM
08/18/19 05:44 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by wr otis
What if you have 75 percent poor locations for one reason or another? Your results and conclusions are subject to the effects of your own decisions, which may or may not be understood by the investigator. IE you stink at picking spots and blame the lure for lack of success.

Mr. Otis has a point. I realize it is not fashionable any more but that is one of the reasons a lot of old timers like to prebait an area. Lot to be learned doing that.
mac

Re: Carman,s canine call [Re: mainer] #6597600
08/18/19 09:10 PM
08/18/19 09:10 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by mainer
Keep track of what you're using at each set, its location, the weather conditions, the length of time before/between a catch, and so on. At the end of the season, collate that information into a spreadsheet and start playing with the numbers. Do this season after season, and you'll start to get a picture of what works, when and where; patterns will emerge regarding bait/lure combinations and set selection. And you might just discover some things you never anticipated - that's the fun part.

Don't think you can just rely on your memory to analyze what worked and didn't work. Most people are not that gifted. Besides, we tend to be our own worst enemies in this regard; subjective biases and the human capacity for self-deception too easily distort the bigger picture. We're just not naturally attuned to looking at the things in such broader terms.

I have a different method. I just use one bait & one type of urine. I generally carry a second type of bait and some lure. Sometimes my fresh set after a catch will get something different if I feel it is needed, mostly not needed. It is location location location,

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 08/18/19 09:15 PM.
Re: Carman,s canine call [Re: ebsurveyor] #6600230
08/22/19 10:46 AM
08/22/19 10:46 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
Originally Posted by mainer
Keep track of what you're using at each set, its location, the weather conditions, the length of time before/between a catch, and so on. At the end of the season, collate that information into a spreadsheet and start playing with the numbers. Do this season after season, and you'll start to get a picture of what works, when and where; patterns will emerge regarding bait/lure combinations and set selection. And you might just discover some things you never anticipated - that's the fun part.

Don't think you can just rely on your memory to analyze what worked and didn't work. Most people are not that gifted. Besides, we tend to be our own worst enemies in this regard; subjective biases and the human capacity for self-deception too easily distort the bigger picture. We're just not naturally attuned to looking at the things in such broader terms.

I have a different method. I just use one bait & one type of urine. I generally carry a second type of bait and some lure. Sometimes my fresh set after a catch will get something different if I feel it is needed, mostly not needed. It is location location location,

My comments were in the context of the Graves and Boddicker study. For those with established lines, productive locations year after year, and time constraints, messing around with data collection isn’t practical or necessary. But for those just starting out, keeping track of such details (more systematically) can help with the learning curve. It’s also useful for those who like to test different lures season after season; I like to crunch numbers.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Carman,s canine call [Re: MChewk] #6610173
09/05/19 01:06 PM
09/05/19 01:06 PM
Nebraska
1crazytrapper Offline
trapper
1crazytrapper  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by MChewk
Great lure one of my go to but has anyone noticed a difference in these lures from say the early 2000s to today’s stuff? Might be just me....

Yes the lure use to have more of a rotted fish smell with a skunk undertone. It is still somewhat the same but definitely different smelling than it was in the 80s. Might be my nose getting older though. Lol
Definitely one of the best lures for coyote. They love to bite and or roll on it.

Member of NFH and NRA
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91