Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
John River: Update #6575080
07/16/19 05:49 PM
07/16/19 05:49 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Any body have experience on the John River? I plan to start at Anatuvak Pass and raft down to Bettles or Allakaket. I read that if the water is low you may have to walk and pull the raft and gear and if the water is high that there can be some pretty good rapids (class 3+). Also is there easy access to firewood or do I need to get a jetboil? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by bfisch; 08/17/19 04:00 AM.
Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6596499
08/17/19 03:59 AM
08/17/19 03:59 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Well. . . I went from Anaktuvak to Allakaket in 6 1/2 days. A buddy and I got dropped in Anaktuvak on a windy and rainy afternoon.

[Linked Image]

The plan was to make it to Allakaket in a week's time. That meant that we had to do about 30-35 river miles each day. The first day we had a slow start as the water was shallow that we had to line the raft for the first two miles. After that the river was deep enough to float. We did little paddling as we went down river enjoying the scenery. 11 miles the first day. It was difficult to find a campsite that was out of the wind and I was glad that I had bought an MSR to cook on. The only wood available was some small willows about 2-3 ft tall and mostly wet from all the rain. Hot water and hot food is always a plus!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Second day we started the rapids and put on 39 river miles averaging about 8 mph. We experienced nearly constant rapids and many that were solid class 3. It was a blast and although we were getting wet and the temperature was in the 50's and 60's our adrenaline and work paddling to keep from being pushed into the cliff walls (that would have easily sliced the raft) kept us warm. Making such good time and making it though the majority of the rapids we made camp early in some sheltered trees to dry off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Third day dawned sunny and we were grateful to be dry! Another day of beautiful scenery!

[Linked Image]

Day four we camped across from a creek that was aqua blue which contrasted with the main river that was a dusty gray from all the rain runoff. We also let our pick-up plane that we were going to make it to Allakaket rather than stop in Bettles.

[Linked Image]

On the fifth day we made it to the Koyukuk River. It started out as another nice day but quickly turned. We constantly wore rain boots and pants and always had a rain coats handy. We quickly put them on as it started to rain, but the rain was so relentless we were again wet. We made camp and were again glad to have the MSR to start heating water to drink and for supper as we struggled to get a fire going. All the wood was soaked and the wind was not helping. If we only had three matches we would have been out of luck but we came more prepared than that. We spent a lot of time drying gear on the trip. At least the rain had stopped by the time we made camp!

[Linked Image]

Day six was miserable! After going through the rapids the second day the river continued to slow the further we got. The slower the river the more paddling we had to do to meet each day's goal. This was not much of a problem until the wind really picked up. The wind was so bad we would not make progress if we stopped paddling and even then it would often blow us around so much that we were adding miles to our travel. Nearly half the miles of the 16 we made that day were spent walking and lining the raft. Making so little progress and fighting for it so hard we decided to make camp when we found a sheltered spot. We took an early night and got up early the next morning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

By the time we got out of the tent it was sprinkling. By the time we were an hour down the river it was raining and it never let up. At leas there wasn't as much wind as the day before, but we still lined the the raft a couple bends. The plan had been to make camp one more night before reaching Allakaket, but being cold and wet we didn't feel like stopping as the only thing keeping us warm was paddling. We went just over 42 river miles making it to Allakaket. Upon our arrival we walked to a friend's house cold, wet, and in need of dry place and hot meal. Despite our unbecoming appearance, they welcomed us warmly and fed us well!

[Linked Image]

It was a great experience with awesome scenery! After being back in civilization for two weeks, the hardships and challenges dim (or become laughable and make for good stories), but the good memories remain. If I was to do it again I would take some time to fish and do some more hiking. Things I learned: 1) It is good to have an MSR, 2) Waterproof matches are just as pathetic as they were 10 years ago, 3) Beaver can live well above tree line, 4) lemonade flavoring makes water purification tablets much more tolerable, 5) Mountain House are better than I expected, and 6) water proof bags aren't completely waterproof. Some things I was reminded of: 1) There is beauty in the mountain and in the single small rock, 2) being wet and cold is no fun, 3) it takes work to work together, 4) rafting is fun, 5) you can make plans but you have to be flexible, and 6) it is good to have connections.

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6597090
08/18/19 12:23 AM
08/18/19 12:23 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Who flew you to AKP? Don't recognize the plane. Awesome trip. You 2 are tough! Definitely need more time to fish and smell the roses!
mt

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6597764
08/19/19 03:23 AM
08/19/19 03:23 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
It was a friend who flew us in.

I agree! More time with a rod and some fresh grayling would be nice. I think next time I will take a day to hike out to a lake or something and spend the night and hike back to the river/raft the next day.

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6597916
08/19/19 11:18 AM
08/19/19 11:18 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by bfisch
It was a friend who flew us in.

I agree! More time with a rod and some fresh grayling would be nice. I think next time I will take a day to hike out to a lake or something and spend the night and hike back to the river/raft the next day.

I can see some potential for distressing news when you return to the raft !

Mean As Nails
Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6598335
08/19/19 09:18 PM
08/19/19 09:18 PM
Chicken, Alaska
Chickenminer Offline
trapper
Chickenminer  Offline
trapper

Chicken, Alaska
Tnx for the update! Always good to hear the good and bad about a river trip.
What raft is that you guys used ?

Re: John RIver [Re: Chickenminer] #6598457
08/19/19 11:47 PM
08/19/19 11:47 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Originally Posted by white17

I can see some potential for distressing news when you return to the raft !

Crossed my mind that a bear may find it. I don't think there would be much else that would mess with it. Any suggestions for leaving it safely other than tying it up in a tree?

Originally Posted by Chickenminer
Tnx for the update! Always good to hear the good and bad about a river trip.
What raft is that you guys used ?

I got the raft from a guy in Fairbanks. His Company is Pristine Ventures. This is the one we used. https://pristineventures.com/products/legend-basic-package/

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6598697
08/20/19 11:04 AM
08/20/19 11:04 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Here is a way to get the same experience for a lot less money:

1. Run a tub full of cold water. Add a couple of bags of ice cubes to it.
2. Put on your long johns, all your fancy gortex rain gear and a pair of hip boots.
3. Pour a cup of sand into your long john bottoms.
4. Lower yourself into a sitting position in the cold tub.
5. Turn the shower head on to simulate a drizzling rain.
6. Sit there for 5 or 6 hours.

See? The exact same basic sensation! Wasn't that a lot cheaper than paying for an air taxi ride?!!!!! AND..... you didn't get all worn out from paddling/rowing either!

Pete

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6598751
08/20/19 12:27 PM
08/20/19 12:27 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Need to add a fan blowing sand in your face.

As far as security for your raft, that might be tough where there are few trees. Might think about deflating it and burying it. Then pee all over the fresh dirt

Mean As Nails
Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6598861
08/20/19 04:27 PM
08/20/19 04:27 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
And a nice picture of the mountains painted on the shower curtain.

Burying it sounds like a lot of work. We could wait till we get far enough down river where there are tree and then hang the raft.

Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6599051
08/20/19 09:30 PM
08/20/19 09:30 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
That would make more sense for sure

Mean As Nails
Re: John RIver [Re: bfisch] #6600877
08/22/19 11:58 PM
08/22/19 11:58 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
You did it !!!!!! Sweet

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman