No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
College students- Gender issues-Mental problems #6601474
08/23/19 06:56 PM
08/23/19 06:56 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Well...……….DAH!!!!!...….. It took a study to figure that out?

Study: 78% College Students with Gender Issues Meet Criteria for Mental Health Problems

A new study that examined students who claim to have gender identity issues found that, compared with 45 percent of students who are comfortable with their biological sex, 78 percent of gender-disturbed students met the criteria for at least one mental health problem.
Researchers affiliated with the Boston University School of Public Health, Harvard Medical School, and University of Michigan School of Public Health, conducted the expansive study, published at the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
The study, which included more than 1,200 college students with gender identity issues across 71 U.S. college campuses, found that, across commonly used mental health measures, 78 percent of the gender-disturbed students met the criteria for one or more of the outcomes of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-injury, and suicidality.
Having gender identity issues was associated with 4.3 times higher odds of having at least one mental health problem, according to the study which utilized data that came from the 2015-2017 Healthy Minds Study, an annual survey.
Across all the mental health measures used, the gender-disturbed students had a significantly higher prevalence of mental health issues than students comfortable with their biological sex.
Results of the study showed more than half of gender-disturbed students were found to screen positively for depression (58%) and reported self-injurious behavior (53%), while 28% of students comfortable with their biological sex screened positive for depression and 20% reported self-injurious behavior.
In addition, more than one-third of gender-disturbed students reported serious suicidal ideation within the past year compared to just one in ten students comfortable with their biological sex.
The researchers draw the conclusion that their results demonstrate “an urgent need” to address the mental health issues of gender-disturbed students and “prioritize” their needs.
Using “minority stress theory,” as their foundation, the researchers suggest gender-disturbed students “may be exposed to unique stressors (e.g., family rejection or transphobia), which may increase mental health risk.”
They also report they studied college students, in part, because “the traditional college years (ages 18–24) coincide with the age of onset for many lifetime mental illnesses, and “an increasing number of young people, and college students in particular, identify as transgender or report questioning their gender identity.”
In 2018, Dr. Lisa Littman at Brown University set out to learn more about why the number of adolescent girls identifying as transgender at Britain’s Gender Identity Development Service had increased from 41 percent in 2009 to 69 percent in 2017.
The researcher said she had observed teens without a history of gender dysphoria – a clinical term describing psychological discomfort caused by a sense one’s gender is incompatible with one’s biological sex – were “coming out” as transgender “after a period of immersing themselves in niche websites after similar announcements from friends.”
In her study of 256 parents, which was condemned by LGBT activists, Littman found 87 percent of the young people were reported to have “come out” as transgender after increased time spent on social media and the Internet and after “cluster outbreaks” of gender dysphoria among their groups of friends. Most of the teens who ultimately identified as transgender also showed increased popularity with peer groups afterward, according to their parents’ reports.
Additionally, Littman found nearly two-thirds of the young people whose parents participated in the survey had already been diagnosed with at least one psychiatric developmental disorder prior to the onset of the gender dysphoria. For example, nearly half of the young people had already attempted to harm themselves or had experienced a trauma, suggesting the mental health issues preceded the reported gender identity disturbance.

Source: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...eet-criteria-for-mental-health-problems/

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601560
08/23/19 08:37 PM
08/23/19 08:37 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
When I was young you never heard of transgender,once in awhile you heard of a fag, queer, or a lesy. No in between. They kept to themselves and that was that. Today they have "come out of the closet", are in your face,demanding their rights, and marching around out doing each other looking like hideous freaks. I don't give a hoot what you do in private, but don't come to my church and demand to be married, and don't come to my business demanding service. I have rights too !.

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601598
08/23/19 09:18 PM
08/23/19 09:18 PM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
I mean, that makes sense considering a good chunk of society doesn't accept them/their identities. How can you be mentally sound when the world doesn't believe you should exist?

You guys make fantastic examples

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601606
08/23/19 09:30 PM
08/23/19 09:30 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Isn't a gender identity issue a mental health problem in itself?????

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: J.Morse] #6601608
08/23/19 09:32 PM
08/23/19 09:32 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by J.Morse

BINGO! You get a cigar!

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601627
08/23/19 09:48 PM
08/23/19 09:48 PM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
I believe it depends on whether or not a person feels some sort of distress in relation to their gender ID & physical sex.. If it affects your day-to-day life & how you feel about yourself, then it's considered a mental health issue. So if someone was feeling all this & decided to go to a psych, they would be diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria. There are plenty of folks who don't feel dysphoria or "gender-related stress" but still want to adjust their physical bodies.. in most states they'd have to go get diagnosed or talk extensively with a counselor/psych to get what they're after. Which, if you ask me, is a little pointless (if that person knows what they need for themselves & is mentally sound otherwise).

Some folks have help available, some folks don't. I've noticed that those who have access to the resources they need aren't affected as much & live more fulfilling lives. Which is p cool no matter who ya are or what your issue is... if ya ask me anyhow

Everyone's got their issues, trans or not.. All you gotta do is take care of yourself cool

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601635
08/23/19 09:53 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Suicides will skyrocket in the next 20 years the kids have no moral compass and will be unable to deal with real life issues, if things get really tough I can't imagine the toll that would take.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: zoozoo400] #6601636
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by zoozoo400
I mean, that makes sense considering a good chunk of society doesn't accept them/their identities. How can you be mentally sound when the world doesn't believe you should exist?

You guys make fantastic examples

laugh

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601645
08/23/19 09:58 PM
08/23/19 09:58 PM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
[Linked Image]

This is me if you couldn't tell laugh

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: J.Morse] #6601660
08/23/19 10:09 PM
08/23/19 10:09 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by J.Morse

Up until 1973 it was indeed.

[Linked Image]
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Law Dog] #6601733
08/23/19 11:16 PM
08/23/19 11:16 PM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia
I'm not sure what morality has to do with gender identity

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: zoozoo400] #6601747
08/23/19 11:36 PM
08/23/19 11:36 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.

Gender identity is lumped with homosexuality by most people. Most Trapperman members are Christians. They mostly ignore that Jesus never mentioned hatred and punishment of homosexuals and go back to Leviticus, in the Old Testament, to find their anti homosexual stance propped up, while ignoring most of the rest of the Old Testament in favor of the New Testament.

I believe Paul was the only person in the New Testament to mention homosexuality and he basically restated Leviticus. Paul never met Jesus, except in a vision and they did not have a long conversation.

I would guess that Jesus would be okay with homosexuals, except for the ones that constantly seek attention, who want special rights and who harass others. I think that most homosexuals are homosexual because of their hormone development. All the lesbians I have met had longer ring fingers than index fingers, which is a secondary male sex characteristic and the few gay men I have talked to had longer index fingers, like most women do.

Keith

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601755
08/23/19 11:44 PM
08/23/19 11:44 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Keith, I just had this conversation with some people a couple weeks ago. They said the same thing about Paul, in the same way. Are you discounting Paul's part in the bible? They did and I don't understand the logic.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601766
08/24/19 12:10 AM
08/24/19 12:10 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Catch22
Keith, I just had this conversation with some people a couple weeks ago. They said the same thing about Paul, in the same way. Are you discounting Paul's part in the bible? They did and I don't understand the logic.

Saul/Paul always seemed like a late comer to me. He was born around 6 years after Jesus's crucifiction. He was obviously not chosen as a direct disciple by a still earthbound Jesus. It seems likely to me that he saw the Christian movement growing and decided to try to lead it. It did end up costing him his head. It's also possible he felt guilt for persecuting decent people and started identifying with them.

I have my doubts about all religions. I see obvious flaws in all of them and a whole lot of borrowing from other earlier religions. I am sure I would be happier if I truly believed in a religion, but I don't think I ever will.

I think about religion a lot. I pray every day. I think the most important thing is to treat other people decently. You should not help them to become non self reliant. I think the best thing you can do for someone is to help them achieve their full positive potential.

Keith

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601767
08/24/19 12:17 AM
08/24/19 12:17 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Keith, I am tired as heck and headed to the shed. I will try to comment tomorrow as I am not a "Christian" anymore but was raised to be. I think you may be underestimating the dynamics of Saul/Paul. He was chosen. Anyway, have a great night.

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: Finster] #6601811
08/24/19 07:04 AM
08/24/19 07:04 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I have no problem with adults doing what they want to themselves-ain't none of my business. But they need to shut up about it and stop all the attention seeking behavior.
The marriage thing should be between the couple and the church. Why would anyone want the blessing from an organization that believes their union to be immoral?
A civil union license should be all they should expect from the government.

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: KeithC] #6601895
08/24/19 09:37 AM
08/24/19 09:37 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by KeithC

Gender identity is lumped with homosexuality by most people. Most Trapperman members are Christians. They mostly ignore that Jesus never mentioned hatred and punishment of homosexuals and go back to Leviticus, in the Old Testament, to find their anti homosexual stance propped up, while ignoring most of the rest of the Old Testament in favor of the New Testament.

I believe Paul was the only person in the New Testament to mention homosexuality and he basically restated Leviticus. Paul never met Jesus, except in a vision and they did not have a long conversation.

I would guess that Jesus would be okay with homosexuals, except for the ones that constantly seek attention, who want special rights and who harass others. I think that most homosexuals are homosexual because of their hormone development. All the lesbians I have met had longer ring fingers than index fingers, which is a secondary male sex characteristic and the few gay men I have talked to had longer index fingers, like most women do.

Keith

Jesus would be okay with homosexuals as people, but he wouldn't be okay with the sin of homosexuality, or adultery, or lust, etc. etc. Heck he loved the sinner so much that he died for us.
As for Paul, he is just like any other Christian. Living in sin but seeing the light. All Christians are supposed to go forth and make disciples, no different with Paul. Except Paul received direct mandate and was a disiple maker on steroids.
We have to be careful to not make the Bible fit our worldly views. It's teachings are "set in stone" and not to be changed, much like the Bill of Rights of our Constitution.

Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: gryhkl] #6601911
08/24/19 09:54 AM
08/24/19 09:54 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by gryhkl
I have no problem with adults doing what they want to themselves-ain't none of my business. But they need to shut up about it and stop all the attention seeking behavior.
The marriage thing should be between the couple and the church. Why would anyone want the blessing from an organization that believes their union to be immoral?

Because the left of whatever sexual perversion will not be satisfied until every scintilla of what they don't agree with is utterly and completely destroyed.
It has never been about equality or respect but total war against 2000 years of judeo-christian principles.

[Linked Image]
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: warrior] #6601920
08/24/19 10:05 AM
08/24/19 10:05 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by warrior

Because the left of whatever sexual perversion will not be satisfied until every scintilla of what they don't agree with is utterly and completely destroyed.
It has never been about equality or respect but total war against 2000 years of judeo-christian principles.

This is also why we on the right are losing and will in all likelihood ultimately fail. We lack the same motivation to destroy that which hates us. We have ingrained within our DNA the respect for differing opinions and beliefs and hold dear to the ideal of free debate and a democratically elected republic preserving the rights and liberty of all.
The left is using our tolerance and electoral system against us.
I am of the opinion the day will come, sooner rather than later, that we on the right will have to set aside some things in order to win back our lives or die trying.

[Linked Image]
Re: College students- Gender issues-Mental problems [Re: warrior] #6601967
08/24/19 11:25 AM
08/24/19 11:25 AM
Middle Georgia
zoozoo400 Offline
trapper
zoozoo400  Offline
trapper

Middle Georgia

Would a civil union provide the same rights/protections as a marriage license? Religion is a personal choice, and though some believe being homo is as well, people should be able to receive the same rights as those who are not like them regardless of their religious choices (or orientation, gender ID, etc etc etc). I imagine most people want to get married in a church/mosque/synagogue/etc. because it's traditional. I'm not into all that, but people like what people like & I'm not gonna argue if they want to be married in the religious building of their choice. Mostly because it's not my business.

I'm not a fan of attention-seekers either... gay, straight, & all others. I'm not sure which attention-seeking behavior you're referencing... but if it is what I assume it to be... the behavior is more than likely not for your attention.

It is cool that some churches are alright with marrying gay couples, but it also depends on where you're located... I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for someone to -want- to be married by a church/org that believes their marriage to be immoral, but sometimes the best option isn't in their area. Also there are plenty of seriously religious gays out there whose dream is to be married in their church. I would bet that those who like their church are likely to be able to get married in it simply because that church is more accepting of them, or they preach a lot of love. Which makes more sense than asking a church known for preaching against gayness to marry you & your partner. (Kinda like asking the homophobic baker to make a gay cake LOL.. like?? why do that if you have more options??)

Originally Posted by KeithC
I think about religion a lot. I pray every day. I think the most important thing is to treat other people decently. You should not help them to become non self reliant. I think the best thing you can do for someone is to help them achieve their full positive potential.

Keith

I agree with ya. Treat people as your brother, sister, or yourself, and you will feel much better in the long run. People are already sh*tty enough, why be one of 'em? Helping folks find the info they need to better themselves is one of the most rewarding things I've done. If they actually go forth and use it, anyway.

Originally Posted by warrior

This is also why we on the right are losing and will in all likelihood ultimately fail. We lack the same motivation to destroy that which hates us. We have ingrained within our DNA the respect for differing opinions and beliefs and hold dear to the ideal of free debate and a democratically elected republic preserving the rights and liberty of all.
The left is using our tolerance and electoral system against us.
I am of the opinion the day will come, sooner rather than later, that we on the right will have to set aside some things in order to win back our lives or die trying.

That is just absurd.. go talk to some folks & you might believe differently. I can assure you that nobody is trying to destroy your religious principles.. especially since they vary from family to family & individual to individual (whereas these principles hardly differ between religions). There are certainly disrespectful folks on both sides... but there are also respectful folks on both sides who are willing to debate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread