No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP #6603012
08/25/19 06:52 PM
08/25/19 06:52 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline OP
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline OP
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Good morning all,

I'm attaching a few documents that contain contact information for the Game Commissioner as well as supportive Senators and Representatives. I believe by reaching out to our legislatures and asking they place pressure on the Game Commission we can be successful in defeating the Lion rule proposal as well as the upcoming trapping rule changes.

Please forward the contact information to all of our allies and encourage they contact all of the individuals on the attached documents. Also encourage them the remain polite, professional and respectful.

Below I've also put together some points individuals should and could use while creating their emails expressing their opposition to the changes. The points are broken down by Game Commission as well as Legislature, some would apply to both.

Points to make when emailing/calling Game Commission and Legislators

Game Commission:

Lion Trapping has not negatively affected the population
During public meeting NMGF stated Lion Trapping does not threaten public health or safety
According to NMGF statistics Lion numbers continue to rise yet harvest rates have not met the take limit.
Bending to social pressure will only encourage for additional pressures to go against scientific biology and factual statistics.
The state of NM and NMGF department should counter sue those bringing frivolous law suites against the department.
Encourage NMGF to educate the public regarding trapping and all other forms of harvesting animals and its important contribution to the ecosystem.
Improve the Trapping, FACTS, information on the NMGF website to improve public perception and combat the falsehoods spread by media as a result of one sided reporting.
Failure to properly regulate animal numbers hurts conservation efforts.
Despite continued compromising from Sportsmen/women the anti-movement has failed to slow their anti-sentiments.
Sportsmen/women contribute the majority of funding to conserve our wildlife through the purchase of licenses and fees. Removing Lion trapping reduces fee intake to an already deprived department.
Eliminating Lion trapping will further burden the NMGF department budget by requiring the department to contract with private individuals at an inflated rate for the removal of problematic Lions.
With department statistics showing Lion numbers on the rise it would be irresponsible for NMGF to eliminate a method of harvest. This will potentially put human lives at risk, cause detriment to herds that are being reintroduced as well as be a financial hardship to the department.
Legislature:

Creating rules and laws based on public sentiment rather than facts sets a dangerous precedent
NMGF statistics show Lion population on the rise, Game Commission should be encouraging continued ethical trapping take of Lions
During public meeting NMGF stated Lion Trapping does not threaten public health or safety
Encourage Game Commission to offer public education regarding trapping to combat social cries.
Encourage Game commission to educate public on humane use of traps.
The anti-trapping movement is attempting to bypass the legislative process by placing pressure on the Game Commission to alter the rules.
An appointed body should not be making changes that go against facts and biological studies. Major decisions that affect the operation of a department and public dollars should be made by those elected to do so. Contact the following New Mexico Legislators and encourage them to tell the Game Commission to support Lion trapping.

Representatives
Points to make when emailing/calling Game Commission and Legislators

Game Commission:

Lion Trapping has not negatively affected the population
According to NMGF statistics Lion numbers continue to rise yet harvest rates have not met the take limit.
Bending to social pressure will only encourage for additional pressures to go against scientific biology and factual statistics.
The state of NM and NMGF department should counter sue those bringing frivolous law suites against the department.
Encourage NMGF to educate the public regarding trapping and all other forms of harvesting animals and its important contribution to the ecosystem.
Improve the Trapping, FACTS, information on the NMGF website to improve public perception and combat the falsehoods spread by media as a result of one sided reporting.
Failure to properly regulate animal numbers hurts conservation efforts.
Despite continued compromising from Sportsmen/women the anti-movement has failed to slow their anti-sentiments.
Sportsmen/women contribute the majority of funding to conserve our wildlife through the purchase of licenses and fees. Removing Lion trapping reduces fee intake to an already deprived department.
Eliminating Lion trapping will further burden the NMGF department budget by requiring the department to contract with private individuals at an inflated rate for the removal of problematic Lions.
With department statistics showing Lion numbers on the rise it would be irresponsible for NMGF to eliminate a method of harvest. This will potentially put human lives at risk, cause detriment to herds that are being reintroduced as well as be a financial hardship to the department.
Legislature:

Creating rules and laws based on public sentiment rather than facts sets a dangerous precedent
NMGF statistics show Lion population on the rise, Game Commission should be encouraging continued ethical trapping take of Lions
Encourage Game Commission to offer public education regarding trapping to combat social cries.
Encourage Game commission to educate public on humane use of traps.
The anti-trapping movement is attempting to bypass the legislative process by placing pressure on the Game Commission to alter the rules.
An appointed body should not be making changes that go against facts and biological studies. Major decisions that affect the operation of a department and public dollars should be made by those elected to do so.
Eliseo Alcon **
District: 6
County: Cibola & McKinley
Home Phone: (505) 285-6387
Email: eliseo.alcon@nmlegis.gov

Phelps Anderson **
District: 66
County: Chaves, Lea & Roosevelt
Home Phone: (575) 625-9152
Email: phelps.anderson@nmlegis.gov

Gail Armstrong
District: 49
County: Catron, Socorro & Valencia
Home Phone: (505) 269-2364
Email: gail@gailfornewmexico.com

Alonzo Baldonado
District: 8
Email: alonzo.baldonado@nmlegis.gov

Paul Bandy
District: 3
County: San Juan
Home Phone: (505) 334-0865
Email: paul@paulbandy.org

Rachel Black
District: 51
County: Otero
Home Phone: (575) 491-1227
Email: rachel.black@nmlegis.gov

Cathrynn Brown
District: 55
County: Eddy
Office Phone: (575) 706-4420
Home Phone:
Email: c.brown.nm55@gmail.com

Micaela Lara Cadena **
District: 33
County: Dona Ana
Email: micaela.cadena@nmlegis.gov

Jack Chatfield
District: 67
County: Colfax, Curry, Harding, Quay, Roosevelt, San Miguel and Union
Office Phone: (575) 673-2320
Email: jackchd67@gmail.com

Zachary Cook **
District: 56
County: Lincoln and Otero
Office Phone: (575) 937-7644
Email: zachary.cook@nmlegis.gov

Randal Crowder
District: 64
County: Curry
Home Phone: (575) 763-3901
Email: randal.crowder@nmlegis.gov

Rebecca Dow
District: 38
County: Grant, Hidalgo & Sierra
Office Phone: (575) 342-1302
Home Phone: (575) 571-1056
Email: rebecca.dow@nmlegis.gov

Candy Spence Ezzell
District: 58
County: Chaves
Home Phone: (575) 625-0550
Email: csecows@aol.com

Kelly Fajardo
District: 7
County: Valencia
Service: Representative since 2013
Home Phone: (505) 573-0471
Email: kelly.fajardo@nmlegis.gov

David Gallegos
District: 61
County: Lea
Office Phone: (575) 394-0099
Home Phone:
Email: david.rsi@hotmail.com

Harry Garcia
District: 69
County: Bernalillo, Cibola, McKinley, Socorro, San Juan & Valencia
Office Phone: (505) 290-7510
Home Phone: (505) 290-7510
Email: hgarciad69@gmail.com

Jason Harper
District: 57
County: Sandoval
Home Phone: (505) 554-7970
Email: JasonHarperNM@gmail.com

Raymundo (Ray) Lara
District: 34
County: Dona Ana
Office Phone: (575) 882-6200
Email: raymundo.lara@nmlegis.gov

Tim Lewis
District: 60
Service: Representative since 2011
Email: lewisfornm@gmail.com

Willie Madrid
District: 53
County: Dona Ana & Otero
Home Phone: (915) 204-9056
Email: willie.madrid@nmlegis.gov

Rod Montoya **
District: 1
Home Phone: (505) 360-1510
Email: roddmontoya@gmail.com

Greg Nibert **
District: 59
County: Chaves & Lincoln
Office Phone: (572) 622-6510
Home Phone: (575) 317-1050
Email: greg.nibert@nmlegis.gov

Jane Powdrell-Culbert
District: 44
Home Phone: (505) 721-9021
Email: jpandp@comcast.net

William (Bill) Rehm **
District: 31
County: Bernalillo
Home Phone: (505)259-3398
Email: bill.rehm@nmlegis.gov

Patricio Ruiloba
District: 12
County: Bernalillo
Home Phone: (505) 417-1749
Email: patricio.ruiloba@nmlegis.gov

Tomas Salazar
District: 70
County: San Miguel, Santa Fe and Torrance
Home Phone: (575) 421-2455
Email: tomas.salazar@nmlegis.gov

Joseph Sanchez
District: 40
County: Colfax, Mora, Rio Arriba & San Miguel
Email: joseph.sanchez@nmlegis.gov

Larry Scott **
District: 62
County: Lea
Office Phone: (575) 392-5960
Email: larry.scott@nmlegis.gov

James Strickler **
District: 2
Office Phone: (505) 327-9240
Home Phone: (505) 327-4190
Email: jamesstrickler@msn.com

Candie Sweetser
District: 32
County: Grant, Hidalgo & Luna
Office Phone: (575) 546-9011
Home Phone: (575) 546-2915
Email: candie.sweetser@nmlegis.gov

James Townsend **
District: 54
County: Chaves, Eddy and Otero
Home Phone: (575) 703-0153
Email: townsend@pvtn.net

Martin Zamora
District: 63
County: Curry, DeBaca, Guadalupe, Roosevelt & San Miguel
Home Phone: (575) 309-2334
Email: martin.zamora@nmlegis.gov

** Voted NO in on HB366 (trapping ban) in committee

Senators

Gregory Baca **
District: 29
County: Bernalillo & Valencia
Office Phone: (505) 385-7303
Home Phone: (505) 227-6335
Email: greg.baca@nmlegis.gov

Craig Brandt
District: 40
Email: craig.brandt@nmlegis.gov

William Burt
District: 33
County: Chaves, Lincoln & Otero
Office Phone: (575) 434-1414
Home Phone: (575) 434-6140
Email: bill.burt@nmlegis.gov

Pete Campos
District: 8
County: Colfax, Guadalupe, Harding, Mora, Quay, San Miguel and Taos
Home Phone: (505) 425-0508
Email: pete.campos@nmlegis.gov

Gregg Fulfer
District: 41
County: Eddy & Lea
Office Phone: (575) 631-9699
Home Phone: (575) 395-9970
Email: gregg.fulfer@nmlegis.gov

Ron Griggs **
District: 34
County: Doņa Ana, Eddy and Otero
Office Phone: (575) 439-1331
Email: ron.griggs@nmlegis.gov

Stuart Ingle
District: 27
County: Chaves, Curry, De Baca, Lea and Roosevelt
Home Phone: (575) 356-3088
Email: stuart.ingle@nmlegis.gov

There i said it....
Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6603480
08/26/19 03:19 PM
08/26/19 03:19 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline OP
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline OP
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Ttt

There i said it....
Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6603510
08/26/19 04:42 PM
08/26/19 04:42 PM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
I emailed all of them today and I will continue to do so. We made a difference the last time.

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6603568
08/26/19 06:02 PM
08/26/19 06:02 PM
Arizona
Y
yaaintdeadyet Offline
trapper
yaaintdeadyet  Offline
trapper
Y

Arizona
Thanks Travis. This keyboard is ready to go.

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654158
10/31/19 05:49 PM
10/31/19 05:49 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Went to the meeting last night it was a packed house with mainly anti's numbering about 3 to 1.
The anti's were heated and could not stay on topic, which was comments and suggestions for the proposed rules, no over talking and no interruptions.
The NM trappers who spoke did a good job. While one trapper was speaking an older anti started running his mouth and then got up and started to head towards the trapper. The wardens had to stop the anti from approaching and he was almost arrested for failure to comply. HAHHAHA
Other trappers spoke and were interrupted constantly interrupted.
There was one anti there that said the city of Albuquerque banned trapping so it should be statewide. An older lady in her 80's mentioned California just banned all trapping and selling fur.
I finally got to speak at the very end and was only given a couple of minutes, so right off the bat I addressed the city ordinance has caused a huge influx of calls to both the city and game and fish for problematic animals especially coons skunks and coyotes and the latter 2 aren't protected so neither the city or g&f will take those calls. Also Ca, Az and Co have had a lot issues due to strict trapping rules. Then I got back on subject mentioning the proposed closures (sandia ranger district parts of SFNF and around Santa Fe) are terrible because the issue isn't the ethical trapper but rather the average person walking their dog off leash and people not knowing hunting trapping and fishing occur there. I've had a dog in my trap and the lady took the trap and dog dog was uninjured. I have also had on several occasions had dogs off leash completely ruin my hunts in the Sandia Ranger District, Sangre de Cristo and in SFNF. I have also heard countless stories of hunters being harassed in these areas while hunting. I was constantly interrupted and the anti's were mad like a wet cat. hahaha. I suggested not to close these areas as that is where a lot of hunting trapping and problem with furbearers occur and that signs stating hunting trapping and fishing may be occurring keep dogs on leash should be placed in areas were frequent.

I had a few other suggestions and questions regarding rules but the time for the night was already over. Afterwards a few of the wardens came up to me and wanted to talk more so I chatted with a couple for awhile. Also met some fellow trappers and a fur buyer. The fur buyer said this was the opposite of all the hearings she has attended with anti's outnumbering trappers.

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654172
10/31/19 06:04 PM
10/31/19 06:04 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
One rule I have a question on is the trap will now require permanent marks or identification number on it. The madden from g&f made it sound like copper tags won't be sufficient since they can be easily removed.

Also if you hold a furbearer tag in nm you will need to pass a treasurer's ed course including a NM specific tapes course. So for those of you who trap here NM will honor your state's trappers ed class but you'll also need to pass the NM specific one too. There's no grandfather clause no age restrictions so if you want furbear in NM you'll needtil complete 2 trappers ed courses

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654203
10/31/19 06:37 PM
10/31/19 06:37 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Hang tough brother!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654910
11/01/19 04:48 PM
11/01/19 04:48 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
In short what does it say

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654953
11/01/19 05:49 PM
11/01/19 05:49 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks BigBob.
Newt, here is a link to the pdf of the proposals http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...-Changes-Trapping-and-Furbearer-Rule.pdf

Also, Comments on the proposed changes can be provided by mail: New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, Attn: Furbearer Rule Development, P.O. Box 25112, Santa Fe, NM 87504; by email, dgf-furbearer-rules@state.nm.us or in person at one of the meetings to be held across the state. Only those emails sent to the above address will be considered as part of the official record.

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6654959
11/01/19 06:01 PM
11/01/19 06:01 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
The closures proposed are 1) yes popular hiking areas but 2) great hunting trapping and fishing areas. The Sandia Ranger District only allows bow hunting but the hunting is great. 3) These areas do have people living nearby but G&F is bombarded with problematic animal calls. 4) People don't know hunting trapping and fishing may be going on even though they live around the area. That is why I suggested signage.

Here are more proposed changes.

Setbacks will now be half mile. If you're hiking in gear that is going to be rough.
possible bag limits
changes to coon season
water sets must be fully submerged (even in low tide)
snares would need break away device
All traps are required to have an anchoring or drag system that prevents a trapped animal from
escaping with the trap.
All foothold traps must have at least two separate swivel points, one of which must be
within 6 inches of the trap

Please email the state your thoughts/suggestions/input etc.... dgf-furbearer-rules@state.nm.us

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6659200
11/06/19 10:34 PM
11/06/19 10:34 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I will email. Good for you adam

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6662389
11/11/19 12:29 AM
11/11/19 12:29 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks Pawnee.
I hope others email them too

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6670179
11/19/19 07:26 PM
11/19/19 07:26 PM
NJ
P
PopPop Offline
trapper
PopPop  Offline
trapper
P

NJ
I emailed all of them.

Re: NEW MEXICO TRAPPERS COULD USE HELP [Re: TravC] #6672880
11/22/19 07:35 PM
11/22/19 07:35 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Game commission voted to end trapping of lions. If i understand right it will start with the 2020 season

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread