No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hagz vs. Rat Clips #6605046
08/28/19 06:54 PM
08/28/19 06:54 PM
NW L.P. MI
Walleyemike Offline OP
trapper
Walleyemike  Offline OP
trapper

NW L.P. MI
I have been thinking about simplifying my muskrat setup a bit by going to just fiberglass 3/8 support rods with a coilsprings vs dragging out different types of traps, supports, floats, etc. I will still mix in a few things but I have been looking at the Hagz bracket setups and the spring clip types "Rat Clips" that are made by Schmitt I think. It looks like the spring types would be a bit more supportive in how they hold under the jaws vs the Hagz just having the part of the trap frame plugged into them in the center which might make the trap a bit tippy. Anyhow I figured I would kick it out there to see if anyone has used one or the other or both. Thanks much

Re: Hagz vs. Rat Clips [Re: Walleyemike] #6605060
08/28/19 07:08 PM
08/28/19 07:08 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Hagz are my preferred set up. Works great on glass rods, but doubles as stake swivel. Just many more uses with a Hagz on the end of the chain.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Hagz vs. Rat Clips [Re: Chuckles84] #6605063
08/28/19 07:23 PM
08/28/19 07:23 PM
NW L.P. MI
Walleyemike Offline OP
trapper
Walleyemike  Offline OP
trapper

NW L.P. MI
10-4, I was looking at that too. With the spring deal you would have to wire it up if not. Do you think a 4' rod would be plenty for most spots?

Re: Hagz vs. Rat Clips [Re: Walleyemike] #6605072
08/28/19 07:29 PM
08/28/19 07:29 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I bought a dozen of both a couple years ago, ended up selling all except a few of each because they didnt seem effective in my area. At least not as effective as setting on huts or feed beds. After a year or two the spring clips can be tough to slide up and down the poles. I found the 4' poles were a bit on the short side, figure you'll need enough length to stick it into the bottom well, plus have some above water to hold the bait. That means your water needs to be less than 3' for a 4' pole to be effective.

I prefer the Hagz brackets to the spring clips. But if I were you, I would suggest doing what I did and trying some of each for yourself before investing too heavily in one or the other.

Re: Hagz vs. Rat Clips [Re: Walleyemike] #6605078
08/28/19 07:40 PM
08/28/19 07:40 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I'm not a rat trapper, we ain't got none to speak of, but I'm sold on the hagz. I dismissed them as a solution to a nonexistent problem and just one more thing to waste money on. Until a buddy of mine, who has rats, showed me his set up. And of course shortly after I sold my first and only rat job.
They are useful for much more than just 3/8 poles, the spring clips are pole only. I use the hagz on slide wire for other critters, as an extra swivel point, a place to run a screw when anchoring to wood.

The only other use for a spring clip I've found is to spear a carrot or parsnip above the hagz on the 3/8 pole.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hagz vs. Rat Clips [Re: Walleyemike] #6606299
08/30/19 05:27 PM
08/30/19 05:27 PM
Nebraska
1crazytrapper Offline
trapper
1crazytrapper  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I have never had any luck with rat clips. Way more simple to only worry about the fiber rod and the trap and set the trap on feed bed or other fresh sign. No clips, no bait , and catch more rats. I used sudden valley rat clips one night and the empty traps on the rat clip setups that could have been producing if set on toilets, slides and feed beds, were enough for me to never use them again. JMO of course.

Member of NFH and NRA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread