No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608513
09/02/19 10:49 PM
09/02/19 10:49 PM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
They flat out liked the effect.

That is a foundation to draw from!

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608528
09/02/19 11:07 PM
09/02/19 11:07 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yep,feel sorry for them that cant hold their liquor.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608530
09/02/19 11:12 PM
09/02/19 11:12 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
22 years this weekend...

Sober... not a drop...

If I can do it anyone can, with the help of God and Family...

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours,

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608554
09/02/19 11:36 PM
09/02/19 11:36 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
I believe the statistics are that about 40% of alcoholics/drug abusers have an underlying mental health issue as well. Both need to be treated simultaneously for any success. Addiction alone is hard enough.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608625
09/03/19 06:01 AM
09/03/19 06:01 AM
New Hampshire
T
Terrence j Offline
trapper
Terrence j  Offline
trapper
T

New Hampshire
Congratulations bulletbox. I celebrated 13 years on 8/9 . It's amazing how much life can change when you put down the drink. To all that need/ want help there are many willing to help if you want it.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608630
09/03/19 06:17 AM
09/03/19 06:17 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Hear a lot of talk of mental health etc. around drugs and alcohol. I feel all that talk is simply a state of human existence. I don’t know anyone with a perfect life. I don’t know any family without tragedy. In our endeavors to understand things scientifically we tend to lose sight of our humanness. Some folks are good singers, some are good drinkers. Of course some folks aren’t good at those things at all. There’s no formula or code to determine who gets hooked or not. And for God’s sake don’t call it a disease. A drunk and and a cancer patient get life in prison, who gets better?

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608635
09/03/19 06:23 AM
09/03/19 06:23 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
never figured out if i was a really good drinker or a really bad one,just know its a definate no no for me.have said a hundred times i think i'll have a couple beers and a case later i'm lookin for more--every time.a little jealous of those that can have that just one or 2 but i'm a zero tolerance person at this point in my life.i tell people i'm retired now.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608640
09/03/19 06:30 AM
09/03/19 06:30 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
The Bible speaks of drunkenness.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608775
09/03/19 11:33 AM
09/03/19 11:33 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Drinking is a funny thing, it seems that for much of the 1980s and 1990s, plus a good chunk of the 2000s into the 2010s - it was nothing but an endless party.
But about 4 or 5 years ago, I started to see things differently and all of a sudden I could not stand being around people who were drunk.

Now, as I told one of the staff when I just had my physical done [which I aced at age 54, I just need to lose weight - which is another major crisis in this country that takes peoples lives too soon] when she asked me if I drink, without even thinking I replied "Four cans of Guinness on Saturday evenings..." to which she responded "oh, ok... moderate"

She probably never heard that as an answer before !!

But seriously, I'm the only child, my parents are both aging and I need to be there for them, and I can't if I am in a stupor.
Plus, I have a very special dog who I rescued, and one day several years back she gave me this look when I was getting ready to tie one on, and that was it.

I never got drunk ever again, and truth be told I do not miss it one bit.

But I do need to lose 50 lbs, as I'm getting tired of being known as Big George around these parts - and I will.
I'm just thankful to God that I am able to start focusing on this - for real - before my health turns bad.

Someone mentioned earlier here how the key with quitting the drink is that they have to really want to.

This is absolute truth, because when one wants to do something, then they will... and they will succeed too !!

So, instead of getting wasted, I now sit in my garden with my dog and listen to all the night creatures and for the first time in my life, truly enjoy my present situation and thank God for giving me a new lease on life.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608789
09/03/19 12:05 PM
09/03/19 12:05 PM

M
MsgRet
Unregistered
MsgRet
Unregistered
M

32 years sober......one day at a time.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608792
09/03/19 12:14 PM
09/03/19 12:14 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
That's Awesome Big George!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608815
09/03/19 12:55 PM
09/03/19 12:55 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Never could figure out WHY it is so hard to quit drinking or smoking, when all they had to do; was take the approach my Uncle took to get his Wife to quit drinking and smoking.

Years ago, my Aunt smoked Camel 100's 2 Packs a day. Well, her Doctor told my Aunt to quit smoking. Did she quit??? NOPE...

Caught pneumonia not long after that, and it scared her lungs. STILL SMOKED!!

One day, my Aunt came home from shopping, and my Uncle noticed the Carton of Camel 100's in one of the grocery bags. My Uncle told my Aunt " YOUR DOCTOR TOLD YOU TO QUIT SMOKING!! YOU ARE QUITTING TODAY!!! "

My Uncle grabbed the brand new carton of Camel 100's and threw them into the roaring hot fireplace!!

My Aunt blew a fit!! Ran out and headed back to the store for another Carton of Camel 100's.

My Uncle saw the 2nd Carton of Camels when she came back home. He said to my Aunt. Your Doctor told you to quit smoking!!" He grabbed the 2nd Carton and threw them into the Fireplace. Then, he took my Aunt into the Kitchen, and proceeded to tell my Aunt that " YOU ARE QUITTING DRINKING TODAY !! " My Uncle then took out all the Beer, Wine, Dewar's White Label Scotch, Jack Daniels Whiskey, Southern Comfort, Vodka and Gin; and had my Aunt watch as he opened EVERY BOTTLE AND POURED EVERY BOTTLE DOWN THE KITCHEN SINK!!!

By that time, My Aunt had no money left to buy any cigarettes; or anything else for the Month.

BUT , SHE QUIT COLD TURKEY!!!

That is how you dry someone out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do recall that my Uncle said that for the next 30 days, it was pure misery !!!

Now, why don't more people do something like that to their Husband or Wife ???

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608816
09/03/19 12:58 PM
09/03/19 12:58 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
50 years and counting. Could have been a lot different.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608818
09/03/19 01:06 PM
09/03/19 01:06 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
Years ago I worked with a lady whose husband had lost most of his lower jaw to cancer. He had a hole in the front of his neck from a tracheotomy I guess. He also used an oxygen bottle. He would come to pick her up at work and while waiting would smoke a cigarette by sticking it into that hole in his throat. The wife always told him he was going to hit his oxygen hose one day and blow his head off. He didn't care- he couldn't say no to Life in Marlboro Country.

Addiction is sad, destructive, and expensive in so many ways. No one starts out to be addicted.

Re: Alcoholism [Re: Preacherman Les] #6608848
09/03/19 02:07 PM
09/03/19 02:07 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
There is a considerable difference between being a heavy drinker and an alcoholic and many don't understand those differences. Yes heavy drinkers can and o become alcoholics but many alcoholics are predestined to become addicted if they choose to drink. I don't know one alcoholic that when he/she took their first drink that they hoped they would become hopelessly addicted, destroy the lives of friends and family and slowly or quickly drink until death. I came from a family with many alcoholics so I should have known better but I too became alcoholic and went down that road. I am now closing in on 31 years but we do this one day at a time, sometimes a minute at a time. When one is in the company of many others I often overhear comments very disparaging about drunks and alcoholics. Early in sobriety those statements would anger me, now I accept the fact that others are entitled to whatever opinion they hold. I am the only one that needs to remember I can't have a drink and that is as it should be.

Bryce

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608924
09/03/19 04:13 PM
09/03/19 04:13 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Supposedly, "moderation" is 2 beers a day. Lately Ive been having closer to 5 a day because of the heat. Ive also noticed a decrease of lead in the pencil, so to speak. Not only under the influence but also when not under the influence during the day. Or, could be the 63 yr old factor!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608938
09/03/19 04:43 PM
09/03/19 04:43 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I have never been much of a drinker. I have had 2 good friends who died from being alcoholics. Rick was one of the best dog trainers in the US. Rick won the Nationals and trained springer spaniels professionally. Rick taught me how to trap pigeons. Leroy was my trapping, hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, pigeon buddy. Both, if given access to alcohol, would drink until they passed out. Both were otherwise great human beings. Both were very sad drunks. Both would eventually turn yellow from drinking and smell horrible, as their kidneys and livers failed, until they were committed to a treatment program. Rick's wife would have an ambulance take him to the hospital and get him committed. I would pick Leroy up to "go fishing" and meet his mother at a hospital to have him committed. Both would be strapped to a bed for about 5 days, while they detoxed. After around 2 weeks of counseling, they would be released and within a few days to a a few months, they would start drinking again, until they turned yellow again and were committed again. Both eventually died quickly of cancer from poisoning their bodies for so long with alcohol.

Seeing them drink themselves to death made me drink even less. I think they should make highschool students spend 24 hours with a late stage alcoholic. Alcohol would loose all coolness to them.

Keith

Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608977
09/03/19 06:05 PM
09/03/19 06:05 PM
Ohio
C
CGBurnett Offline
trapper
CGBurnett  Offline
trapper
C

Ohio
I'm an alcoholic. Since my wife died I took to drinking. Been 2 1/2 years since. drink at least 10 fire ball shots almost every night. Been through a lot went to councilor ( don't believe in them) they tell you what you already know.they wanted to put me in hospital to detox. Over the years i have missed work, been dehydrated and called 911 cause i thought i was having a stroke, crying on the phone with my bro, It does suck I guess it just puts me in another state of mind where I really don't care.If it wasn't for my 2 little dogs I probably wouldn't be in this world. It's hard especially when something happens in your life.I quit for 11 days one time then back to drinking. I keep telling myself Im going to quit but again puts me where I don't think of stuff i guess. I would say anyone who has the problem try to get some help. Just doesn't work for me. I spent 20 years in MC and am hard headed I guess.Alcoholism is bad I know.I"m trying to quit again. Just have all kind of excesses. At least I admit it. Just thought I would vent a little because some wont. OK pray for me. I'm just a mess.. not looking for sympathy. just in my head I know what I have to do IT IS JUST HARD BY MYSELF. Thanks for listening CGB

"It Could Be Worse"
Re: Alcoholism [Re: CGBurnett] #6608989
09/03/19 06:22 PM
09/03/19 06:22 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
I wish strength to all of you.

CGBurnett, my heart goes out to you. I was widowed when I was 32 and my world was destroyed. You are in a painful tough place, but know that there are some of us who would listen to you any day. Hang in there!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Alcoholism [Re: warrior] #6608993
09/03/19 06:27 PM
09/03/19 06:27 PM
ny
G
gcs Online content
trapper
gcs  Online Content
trapper
G

ny
My brother drank himself to death, refused all help saying he didn't have a problem, lost his wife and kids, blamed everyone, but held out special condemnation for me, for everything bad that happened to him, held grudges against almost everyone for alleged offenses that were over 40 years old, alleged cause I was there and nothing ever happened the way he remembered, and alienated everyone that loved him, He'd drink till he passed out.

He ended up dead in his house, alone, took a week for neighbors to notice.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread