No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Nostalgia #6609167
09/03/19 09:22 PM
09/03/19 09:22 PM
Iowa
S
sasquatchtrapper Offline OP
trapper
sasquatchtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
S

Iowa
Bear with me folks, I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

The iowa trappers convention is this weekend and I was sitting here talking with my kids about the events that will be available for them. The trap setting contest came up and one thing led to another and we ended up in the shed trying to set different traps. My 15 year old stepson was getting a little big for his britches after setting a #2 longspring so I moved around a few traps and sure enough, there it was. An old Blake and lamb number 4 longspring. The old style, with the rounded springs. After trying to unsuccessfully break it over his knee he decided to try and set it with his feet. Again , unsuccessful. I decided I would show him just how easy it is to set and, well, I got it set. I have to admit, it took more effort than I remember in years past. Lol

Now I sit here, admiring how after , what, 50 years (?) These springs are still stronger than most new longsprings.

I'm also remembering where this trap came from and some of the stories that are attached to it. Like how it took me two years after my grandfather gave it to me before I could set it without help. I was 14 then, about the same age as my stepson.

Or, like after I became strong enough to set it, I was trapping with my grandfather one year and had the opportunity to use it on some beaver for the first time. We dyed it and waxed it with the other traps, we put a long chain on it because that's what we used for drowning sets at the time, and I, in my infinite teenage wisdom put a stake on it that I swear would have probably held a bear. I was making a castor set just above the dam. I piled up the mud, found a dead stick just the right size to use as a drowning anchor, drove that gigantic trap stake in to the soft mud of the creek bottom and made the shelf for the trap to set on. I set the trap and decided that it didn't set well on the shelf that I made so I set it aside and altered the shelf. I picked up the trap and it fit just perfect this time. We were pretty close to a road so I decided to camouflage it a little with some water soaked leaves and silt. As I did so, you probably guessed it, SNAP!!! it went off somehow only catching me by a knuckle.

Now back then, we didn't carry many extras like setter, they cost money that could be used on lure or even more traps. The water was too deep to get my knees on the springs and remember that " bear" stake I told you about, ya, that thing wasn't about to come back out of that soft bottom. So, for somewhere near a half hour, I wallerd around that creek bank trying to get out of that #4 longspring. Finally, after he had made all the sets that he was going to make, grandad came to see what the heck was taking me soooo long.

Now I didn't know if he was going to angry or worried, or if he was going to curtail my trapping activities so I was a little concerned I was in trouble.

To my utter surprise and amazement he just sat down on the creek bank and started laughing hysterically!
"Well" he says between laughs, " I do believe that's the biggest drown rat I have ever caught"
"Ok gramps, just get me outta this darn thing, I could use some hot chocolate "

He's been gone about 10 years now , and I miss him dearly. Think I will just hang this old longspring up next to tanned mink pelt that he caught the last year he trapped.

Sorry this was so long, just felt like shareing.

He's out there, I'll catch him..
Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609179
09/03/19 09:32 PM
09/03/19 09:32 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Squatchtrapper...many thanks for taking the time to grace these pages with that story. Priceless, Sir. My hat off to you.

Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609182
09/03/19 09:33 PM
09/03/19 09:33 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Originally Posted by sasquatchtrapper
Bear with me folks, I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

The iowa trappers convention is this weekend and I was sitting here talking with my kids about the events that will be available for them. The trap setting contest came up and one thing led to another and we ended up in the shed trying to set different traps. My 15 year old stepson was getting a little big for his britches after setting a #2 longspring so I moved around a few traps and sure enough, there it was. An old Blake and lamb number 4 longspring. The old style, with the rounded springs. After trying to unsuccessfully break it over his knee he decided to try and set it with his feet. Again , unsuccessful. I decided I would show him just how easy it is to set and, well, I got it set. I have to admit, it took more effort than I remember in years past. Lol

Now I sit here, admiring how after , what, 50 years (?) These springs are still stronger than most new longsprings.

I'm also remembering where this trap came from and some of the stories that are attached to it. Like how it took me two years after my grandfather gave it to me before I could set it without help. I was 14 then, about the same age as my stepson.

Or, like after I became strong enough to set it, I was trapping with my grandfather one year and had the opportunity to use it on some beaver for the first time. We dyed it and waxed it with the other traps, we put a long chain on it because that's what we used for drowning sets at the time, and I, in my infinite teenage wisdom put a stake on it that I swear would have probably held a bear. I was making a castor set just above the dam. I piled up the mud, found a dead stick just the right size to use as a drowning anchor, drove that gigantic trap stake in to the soft mud of the creek bottom and made the shelf for the trap to set on. I set the trap and decided that it didn't set well on the shelf that I made so I set it aside and altered the shelf. I picked up the trap and it fit just perfect this time. We were pretty close to a road so I decided to camouflage it a little with some water soaked leaves and silt. As I did so, you probably guessed it, SNAP!!! it went off somehow only catching me by a knuckle.

Now back then, we didn't carry many extras like setter, they cost money that could be used on lure or even more traps. The water was too deep to get my knees on the springs and remember that " bear" stake I told you about, ya, that thing wasn't about to come back out of that soft bottom. So, for somewhere near a half hour, I wallerd around that creek bank trying to get out of that #4 longspring. Finally, after he had made all the sets that he was going to make, grandad came to see what the heck was taking me soooo long.

Now I didn't know if he was going to angry or worried, or if he was going to curtail my trapping activities so I was a little concerned I was in trouble.

To my utter surprise and amazement he just sat down on the creek bank and started laughing hysterically!
"Well" he says between laughs, " I do believe that's the biggest drown rat I have ever caught"
"Ok gramps, just get me outta this darn thing, I could use some hot chocolate "

He's been gone about 10 years now , and I miss him dearly. Think I will just hang this old longspring up next to tanned mink pelt that he caught the last year he trapped.

Sorry this was so long, just felt like shareing.

sasquatchtrapper
Great story. Brings back memories of my trapping days with my Grandfather,

jim
Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609186
09/03/19 09:37 PM
09/03/19 09:37 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Thanks

Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609189
09/03/19 09:38 PM
09/03/19 09:38 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
You sir, wove a wonderful tale. Thanks for that. I felt like I was in the shed with you and on the bank watching long ago.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609195
09/03/19 09:57 PM
09/03/19 09:57 PM
Iowa
S
sasquatchtrapper Offline OP
trapper
sasquatchtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
S

Iowa
When people ask why I still trap, I don't give them the whole story, I just politely say because my grandfather taught me to, and quietly go on with my business.

I would be interested in hearing others stories, so please feel free.

He's out there, I'll catch him..
Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609205
09/03/19 10:23 PM
09/03/19 10:23 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
My grandfather taught me to trap as well. I can relate. Thanks for sharing

Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609229
09/03/19 10:39 PM
09/03/19 10:39 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Fur fish and game started me trapping , no one in my family trapped that I knew of. But my Grandpa Cruger did spark a fire in me helping me build a wooden rabbit trap sometime in the early 70's

Thank You for sharing your memories... I'm a Grandpa now with a couple who have started tagging along.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609284
09/04/19 01:10 AM
09/04/19 01:10 AM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
Grate story thanks !!!
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Nostalgia [Re: sasquatchtrapper] #6609301
09/04/19 05:27 AM
09/04/19 05:27 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
great story thanks for sharing