Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coyote sets; distance from field edge [Re: kabguy] #6622299
09/21/19 11:51 PM
09/21/19 11:51 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
snow is a definite eye opener. I've seen yotes eat corn in the field but majority of them were mangey and sickly. As for edges here they stay just out of shotgun range! I find those wide open travel corridors to be hot locations. Its pretty open ag country in my area! A few sections I trap don't have any edges unless you consider a two track a edge. There so open rabbits have to pack brush to hide! Distance from edges has got to be a regional thing

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Coyote sets; distance from field edge [Re: kabguy] #6622313
09/22/19 12:16 AM
09/22/19 12:16 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
What you observed is the coyote comfort zone. Their natural caution is the distance they prefer in the open as you would. If there was food close to the cover, they would be hunting it. That is not to say that coyotes will not plow through walls of corn , weeds, brush or trees. They use cover to conceal themselves from other predators, including you. You have to get into the coyotes mind in what it is doing and why. They prefer grassland and open spaces, but they are still experts at knowing exactly in the open, where the rise is which will hide or protect them from you with a rifle.
Snow is a great teacher, but so is dry dirt and mud, in noting where they move, and that includes going for walks on rural roads. I have been watching a family group play on the road here. They look spooked deer in the tracks tearing things up, but they are just screwing around playing.

Re: Coyote sets; distance from field edge [Re: kabguy] #6622377
09/22/19 07:06 AM
09/22/19 07:06 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
will add that i made the mistake of gradually moving out into the fields further and further to avoid incidentals--in my mind--and actually moved myself away from the canines also.i'm an over thinker.

learned more from snow than all other things combined.

Re: Coyote sets; distance from field edge [Re: kabguy] #6622604
09/22/19 12:43 PM
09/22/19 12:43 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Coyotes are edge critters sure they go Into cover to hunt but they are like a good bird dog they use their noses and eyes to seek out game.
The last few years I have been placing large baits like a whole deer carcass about 30 yards from cover. Guess what my catch ratio has gone up dramatically. And that goes for dirt. sets and using CRs. Scent posts and flat sets before snow. And once we have snow find a track or tracks and hang a CR when the coyotes comes out of the near by cover.
A fire blackened chunk of wood placed about 15 yards from cover will get a canines attention even if the wind Is wrong.

Last edited by The Beav; 09/22/19 02:45 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Coyote sets; distance from field edge [Re: kabguy] #6624223
09/24/19 05:00 PM
09/24/19 05:00 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
If your not catching non targets like fox,coon and opossum your missing coyotes.. The set that doesn't have a coyote in it becomes the backup set for the next one.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91