Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Dye Paint Wax #6612659
09/09/19 08:56 AM
09/09/19 08:56 AM
New York
Short Track Offline OP
trapper
Short Track  Offline OP
trapper

New York
What are the pro's and cons to each ?

Just a weekend trapper...
Re: Dye Paint Wax [Re: Short Track] #6612799
09/09/19 01:16 PM
09/09/19 01:16 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Dips and paint are typically easier and faster / some smell bad - some canine avoidance issues / some wash off

Was makes your trap super fast and seals it against rust / Wax takes heat and can be dangerous

Dye like walnut hulls is cheap and easy and does a good job / stains your brown and you have to boil traps for some time -slow

Just passin through
Re: Dye Paint Wax [Re: Short Track] #6615842
09/13/19 09:27 AM
09/13/19 09:27 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Dyeing and waxing take time up front. Lots of traps means lots of hours. But then it’s done for the season.

I’ve gotten lazy. I spray paint all my traps with the exceptions of cages and some dog proofs. Then everything sits while paint smell goes away.

Waxing (with exception of body grippers) is done in full metal jacket.

Never too old to learn
Re: Dye Paint Wax [Re: Short Track] #6616537
09/14/19 07:35 AM
09/14/19 07:35 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Short Track
What are the pro's and cons to each ?

Larry gave a real good answer. Something else to consider.
A few of the things you have to analyze:
Are you going to canine trap? If not it probably does not matter how you treat your traps as long as you protect your investment.
If you are going to trap canines trap treatment is slightly more complicated. Not super complicated, but there are some considerations.

Dipping in paint and then Full Metal Jacket is a favorite method of a lot of very good trappers. JabNE on this forum uses paint and is very successful. J. Wilson, a fine lure/bait maker out of New York is a very successful canine trapper and he uses the paint and full metal jacket method. Probably dozens more.
I would feel comfortable with this method if I had enough traps to make it through a season with out re-treating. I personally think this is a great method, but if you have to re-treat during the season, at leas here in the North East, it is too cold to do so. One would have to operate in a building that was heated. I am not set up for that.

Back in the 70's and 80's I had over 200 canine traps ready to roll. I never set that many at a time as I was usually running a mixed line. But I could run 35 or 40 canine traps for a week, go some place else and start again, and do it over again another time if I had time. I am old school and probably stupid about some things. If a trap made a catch or two it was not going to go into a new clean set. Just was not.
So I needed clean traps read to go. In time I sold off everyone of those traps when coyotes started showing up and I simply do not keep enough on hand to be able to go the entire season with out having to re-treat.

You can dye, or wax in season here if need be. Waxing does not go as well when cold but you can get by. Remember I am doing this outside.
I do not think you could dip in paint and full metal jacket here in cooler weather.
The same goes with fuel based dip. A lot of guys love it. If you had to re-treat in the cooler weather I do not think it would work well.

I have a friend out West that does nothing to his traps and catches fur. If you set an unprotected trap here in this country it would rust up in no time.
Some do not think trap treatment is necessary. I would suggest check the conditions they are trapping. How many canines are harvested in those areas each year? What is the soil like? What are the temperatures like? All of those factors need to be considered. There are probably states you could set a trap, cover it, and very little would change. Try that in the North East. Traps are too expensive to not protect when you are in an area that will rust them.

Some excellent trapperss skip the boiling, skip the waxing. They pressure wash traps and wax. Pretty quick and I guess very effective. So that is something to consider.
Dye, or dye and wax or simply wax is sort of a pain in the butt. It is work that a lot of new modern trappers want to avoid and I do not blame them. But I am pretty comfortable with the old ways so stick to them most of the time. I still am open to trying some other method from time to time, when I have the opportunity.

One thing you will come to find. There are a lot of ways to approach this issue.

Good luck

Re: Dye Paint Wax [Re: Short Track] #6616628
09/14/19 09:52 AM
09/14/19 09:52 AM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
Now that is some good, no nonsense advice.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91