No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Natures Food Plot #6620137
09/19/19 01:48 AM
09/19/19 01:48 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Been seeing lots of man made food plots..Got me thinking of how many members do the leg work to find some hidden gems in the way of natures food sources for deer..I'm sure plenty of members here have areas that they have found that produces every so often...
I hunt mostly public hunting ground here in Michigan, my hunting involves hit or miss depending on the hunters in the area...So, my first pic is a location that took me about 3 years of stomping ground to find..
Apple trees nestled in thick cover next to a cedar swamp, only apple trees for miles that I can find...
I've only taken one decent buck from this location a few years ago but it is busy during the pre-rut or prior too..only has produced apples every other year or so..
Third pic is a thick popular cutting with three white oak trees in the cutting, no white oak in this area that I can find, I have to think its productive once the the acorns start to drop...
I have a lot of places that mimic these areas...Sure I don't score every year but it sure is fun finding these areas...
Let's see your natures honey hole...Be it a remote waterhole, honey locusts that drops beans for deer to feed on in snow covered land, lone whiteoak that stands in a growth of pine trees or whatever you consider a destination area....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Natures Food Plot [Re: ambush32] #6620143
09/19/19 05:24 AM
09/19/19 05:24 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
almost need a helmet with all the acorns fallin here.

Re: Natures Food Plot [Re: ambush32] #6620167
09/19/19 06:38 AM
09/19/19 06:38 AM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline
trapper
Abu65  Offline
trapper
A

Kentucky
Those first 2 pictures look like they may hold a Grouse or 2.

It is what it is.
Re: Natures Food Plot [Re: ambush32] #6620234
09/19/19 08:08 AM
09/19/19 08:08 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Deer are in the oaks heavy now eating acorns.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Natures Food Plot [Re: ambush32] #6620242
09/19/19 08:19 AM
09/19/19 08:19 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
The oaks here are very spotty. Some are loaded while most have nothing.The are about ten white oaks in our yard at camp. The squirrels have one of them worked over pretty well and the ground is covered with their cuttings. The others have very few acorns. The chestnut oaks behind camp are the same.
The only trees that produce every year(at least for the past 16)are the two large chestnuts. They are loaded again.

Re: Natures Food Plot [Re: ambush32] #6620316
09/19/19 10:36 AM
09/19/19 10:36 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Natural food sources or ag crops and the travel areas to or from are my go to for ambushing whitetails. I particularly like persimmon trees, locusts and any fruit trees either scattered around or abandoned house places. Wild grape vines when they are dropping work well too. And white oaks are probably the top of the preferred list for deer in my neck of the woods. We have lots of white oak, red oak and pin oak along with quite a few beech trees. So many oaks that you can not just set up on any old white oak. You have to figure out which particular white oak is their favorite when there is a big mast crop. It is tough hunting when the woods are full of acorns. I actually prefer a lighter acorn crop where the the bearing trees are more scattered.

This year, we have a moderate acorn crop that are starting to fall and one of the bigger beech nut crops that I have seen in a while. Grapes are almost ripe and the persimmons are starting to turn. Just need some cooler weather to make it tolerable to be in the woods.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread