No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: charles] #6620240
09/19/19 08:16 AM
09/19/19 08:16 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Originally Posted by charles
Great Dismal Swamp in N.C. could get lonesome, and dangerous. Snakes, skeeters, bears, wolves, and swamp. Plenty hot in the summer too. The Air Force and Navy might also drop bombs on you.

NC has wolves ?

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: charles] #6620254
09/19/19 08:32 AM
09/19/19 08:32 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Great Dismal Swamp in N.C. could get lonesome, and dangerous. Snakes, skeeters, bears, wolves, and swamp. Plenty hot in the summer too. The Air Force and Navy might also drop bombs on you.

Beleave it or not. The same thing might happen here in the New Jersey Pine Barrens 1.1 million acres

Last edited by Newt; 09/19/19 08:33 AM.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: charles] #6620276
09/19/19 09:19 AM
09/19/19 09:19 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa

I was going to post this also. You can get lost so bad that might not find your way out . There is a swamp in MA near the boarder of CT that is the same way . Forgot what the name of that swap. But there was skeleton was found in that one with it have the guns still in the hands.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6620285
09/19/19 09:34 AM
09/19/19 09:34 AM
Llano, Texas, USA
H
Hills of Texas Offline
trapper
Hills of Texas  Offline
trapper
H

Llano, Texas, USA
Big Bend region of Texas. It is vast and largely untouched. You can watch your dog runaway for three days in some places, it’s so flat and Barron. Other places are mountains and canyons.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6620288
09/19/19 09:47 AM
09/19/19 09:47 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by loosegoose
Originally Posted by white17

Just curious about why you are limiting yourself to the L48 ?

When are you thinking of doing this ?

It's gotta be the lower 48 because I want to be able to drive there without half the trip spent driving grin It wouldn't be soon, maybe in a year and a half or so, so I've got time to think about it and plan. I have a primal urge of sorts to experience complete isolation. I'm looking to do a "vision quest" of sorts, to go and spend a week or so by myself in complete solitude and spend time with myself and figure some things out and come back different. I'm hoping to find somewhere where I can hike in and set up camp (even if it takes 2 days to get there), and stay in camp 4-5 days exploring the area but not moving camp, and then return home. Of course I want to explore the beauty of the area, but mostly I want to spend some time with myself in complete solitude and learn about myself in ways I haven't had time or ability to do in the past.

Flying is pretty fast these days. You can get dropped in most anywhere you choose and walk to your heart's content. I know just the spot for your vision quest !! You'll never see a soul

Mean As Nails
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: trapper les] #6620421
09/19/19 12:55 PM
09/19/19 12:55 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by trapper les

NC has wolves ?

North Carolina has red wolves, though it looks like they are probably all hybrids with coyotes and may all have some domestic dog DNA too.

Keith

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6620445
09/19/19 01:30 PM
09/19/19 01:30 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
One area in the east where you can get lost for a bit is the Everglades/Ten Thousand Islands area. I guarantee if you were plopped down somewhere in the lower Shark River Slough area you'd be remote. This corner of S.W. Florida is the only true wilderness found in the eastern U.S. If you go in by canoe it will take you two long days paddle to get there, ditto to return.....even if you hurry. Isolation galore, but you'll hardly be alone. There will be, depending of season, about a gazillion mosquitoes to keep you company. The wildlife spectacle that is the S.W. Everglades is overwhelming also, especially the bird life. Watch for 'gators, 'crocs, cottonmouths, diamondbacks, coral snakes, pytho.............well, you know.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6620467
09/19/19 02:04 PM
09/19/19 02:04 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
They found my spots. cry

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: Dirt] #6620865
09/19/19 10:29 PM
09/19/19 10:29 PM
Ne
Brokenboots Offline
trapper
Brokenboots  Offline
trapper

Ne
Originally Posted by Dirt
Cherry county Nebraska.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6620881
09/19/19 10:39 PM
09/19/19 10:39 PM
Ohio
Minker Offline
trapper
Minker  Offline
trapper

Ohio
CYR Swamp ,
Marquette county
U.P.

Fur Trapping ;
Its not about making Money, Its All about the Adventures you'll have on the Trapline .
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6621338
09/20/19 02:43 PM
09/20/19 02:43 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
You won't be alone, but Google Forrest Finn treasure then spend a week trying to find it.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6621566
09/20/19 08:58 PM
09/20/19 08:58 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
The most isolated spot in the U.S. is Washington D.C. Nothing but putrid swamp full of snakes and other slimey creatures. Completely disconnected from the rest of the country.
The next revolution should be to overthrow Washington D.C. Behind bars for all of those, except those that can prove they never told a lie.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: Pike River] #6622411
09/22/19 07:58 AM
09/22/19 07:58 AM
Idaho (north central)
K
Katcatcher Offline
trapper
Katcatcher  Offline
trapper
K

Idaho (north central)
PIKE RIVER ask
"Multiple sources say the River of No Return Wilderness Area in Idaho.

Any of you cowboys been there?"

YEP, I HAVE RODE THAT COUNTRY SOME. BACK IN THE 60's WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN I RODE DOWN IN THAT SALMON RIVER BREAKS COUNTRY WITH A FRIEND. HE WAS WORKING FOR A RANCHER TO GATHERING CATTLE TO BRING THEM OUT FOR SALE AND TO TAKE TO THE WINTER PASTURE. I JUST WENT ALONG TO HELP AND TO SEE MORE OF THE COUNTRY. I HAD MULE DEER HUNTED DOWN THERE EVERY FALL WITH MY MOM, DAD, GRANDDAD AND BROTHERS FROM THE LATE 50'S. WE WENT DOWN THERE TO SHOOT MULIES TO FEED US THAT WINTER. "BEEF IS FOR SELLING, DEER AND ELK WERE FOR EATIN'" THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH HOW THINGS WERE BACK THEN. WE ELK HUNTED THE LOCHSA (PRONOUNCED LOCK SAW) RIVER DRAINAGE. THAT WAS BEFORE THERE WAS HIGHWAY 12 GOING UP THE LOCHSA INTO MONTANA. (THE LOCHSA / SELWAY WILDERNESS AREA BUTTS UP AGAINST THE FRANK CHURCH. I HUNTED IT BEFORE ANY OF IT WAS A DESIGNATED WILDERNESS AREA.

I STILL HUNT THE SALMON RIVER A LITTLE, PRIMARILY FOR BEARS AND COUGARS WITH HOUNDS. THE BIG HERDS OF MULE DEER DOWN THERE ARE GONE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE THE EARLY 70'S. IT IS FROM THE LACK OF PREDATOR MANAGEMENT, AFTER THE REMOVAL OF 1080'. COYOTES WERE THE PRIMARY FACTOR IN MULE DEER DECLINE AND THE REASON THEY HAVE NOT COME BACK.
THE BIG "BACK COUNTRY" ELK HERDS IN THE LOCHSA, SELWAY AND SALMON RIVERS ARE GONE. THAT IS ALSO THE SAME PROBLEM, PREDATORS! IT STARTED WITH LACK OF PREDATOR MANAGEMENT AND OVER HUNTING BACK IN THE 60's & 70's. WITH LOWER ELK NUMBERS FROM EXCESSIVE HUNTER HARVEST AND THE INCREASING OF PREDATORS ( BEARS & COUGARS) BECAUSE OF THE BAN ON 1080 IN THE EARLY 60'S.
AFTER THE BAN OF 1080 THE ELK HERD NUMBERS KEPT BEING PUSHED LOWER AND LOWER. THEN IN THE 90'S WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF THE CANADIAN GREY WOLF (WHICH HAD NEVER BEEN HERE THEY DESTROYED THE 70 LB. TIMBER WOLVES THAT WERE HERE; WHICH WERE A TRUE "THREATENED" SPECIES.) WITH THE DUMPING OF THE WOLVES INTO IDAHO THE ELK AND MOOSE POPULATION NOSE DIVED AND THEY WILL NEVER COMEBACK. [IT IS BIOLOGICALLY CALLED A PREDATOR PIT" ] THE UNGULATE POPULATION CAN NOT INCREASE ENOUGH BECAUSE OF THE LOW UNGULATE NUMBERS AND THE HIGH NUMBER OF PREDATORS WILL ALWAYS KEEP THEM TOO LOW. SO NOW IT IS NO LONGER HUNTER HARVEST OR FEED IT IS PLAINLY JUST TOO MANY PREDATORS!!

THERE IS PLENTY OF COUNTRY IN MUCH OF THAT AREA AND SEVERAL OTHERS I CAN GO TO THAT IF YOU GO THERE AND HIKE ALL DAY IN ANY DIRECTION AND YOU WILL NOT SEE ANOTHER PERSON OR THEIR TRACKS IN THE SNOW IF YOU GO THERE IN THE WINTER. SO ALL THOSE THAT WANT AN ISOLATION EXPERIENCE SNOWSHOE BACK UP INTO THE LOCHSA AND SELWAY AREAS OR INTO THE THE CHURCH FROM JANUARY THROUGH MAY AND YOU WON'T SEE ANYONE OR THEIR TRACKS FOR A MONTH MORE. IN MANY OF THESE PLACES YOU CAN NOW GO THERE AT ANY TIME OF THE YEAR AND NO MATTER WHEN YOU GO THERE ARE VERY FEW PEOPLE. WHY?? BECAUSE WHAT BROUGHT PEOPLE TO THE "BACK COUNTRY" WAS TO SEE OR HUNT THE ELK, MOOSE AND DEER THAT WERE THERE. THEY ARE GONE AND WITH THEM WENT THE PEOPLE!!

SO I GUESS IT IS ALL A MATTER OF PROSPECTIVE BUT I HAVE NEVER NEEDED TO BE OR FEEL MORE ISOLATED. I HAVE COUGAR HUNTED FOR 2 TO 3 WEEKS STRAIGHT COVERING HUNDREDS OF MILES AND THE ONLY COMPANY I HAD WERE MY DOGS AND UNLESS i WENT TO TOWN I NEVER SAW ANYONE.
I NOW KNOW WE NEED TO HAVE MORE ACCESS TO CONTROL PREDATORS AND HAVE BETTER BIG GAME MANAGEMENT. WE ONCE HAD BOTH HERE IN IDAHO AND ALSO OVER IN THE BOB MARSHAL BUT THAT HAS DISAPPEARED.

LARRY BAER "Tough to get away from people unless the weather is bad." COME TO NORTHERN IDAHO AND I WILL POINT YOU TO SEVERAL AREAS ON THE MAP WHERE YOU WON'T EVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM IN ANY DIRECTION .

THANKS FOR READING AND LISTENING TO ME RANT.
Pete

BETTER WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT BY GAME MANAGERS
LISTENING TO "REAL" KNOWLEDGEABLE HUNTERS AND TRAPPERS
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6622450
09/22/19 08:56 AM
09/22/19 08:56 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
[/quote]

North Carolina has red wolves, though it looks like they are probably all hybrids with coyotes and may all have some domestic dog DNA too.

Keith[/quote]
By the DNA they done on what was to be Red Wolf ,that they are not a Red Wolf , it is just a hybrids coyote.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6622529
09/22/19 10:30 AM
09/22/19 10:30 AM
Western Colorado
C
coloradocat Offline
trapper
coloradocat  Offline
trapper
C

Western Colorado
Colorado has some remote areas, but is open to discussion on what the definition of remote is or isolated.

The closer you get to the heavy populated areas the more humans will be in a area. Western or southern Colorado are less populated so those areas are easier to find no people. Also avoid areas that have a "attraction" to people. Popular fishing, or ATV trails.

I can think of many spots within a hour or two of my house one could go for days without seeing another human. May not be the most scenic places in the world, but just no attraction to be there so no one utilizes it.

Colorado Search and Rescue- Interfering with natural selection since 1976
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6622546
09/22/19 11:01 AM
09/22/19 11:01 AM
Arizona
Y
yaaintdeadyet Offline
trapper
yaaintdeadyet  Offline
trapper
Y

Arizona
The Havasupai Reservation "in" the Grand Canyon is very remote. Access is by either helicopter, pack train or hiking a ten mile trail down to the Supai village. A permit is required to gain entrance to the reservation and village. Here are a couple of links to the area. This first one is to the tribal website. http://theofficialhavasupaitribe.com/ This is the Nat Park Service site. https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/havasupai.htm
I'd worked for the Census Bureau during the 2010 decennial which provided a means to visit the village/reservation. If you've read through the links you can see the Havasupai Reservation is not only remote just gaining permission to visit calls for a few months of planning.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6622854
09/22/19 07:08 PM
09/22/19 07:08 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I would choose the U.P. of Michigan. There are places there that are secluded and private.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6623022
09/22/19 10:16 PM
09/22/19 10:16 PM
Idaho
V
vegasjim Offline
trapper
vegasjim  Offline
trapper
V

Idaho
Hi Catcatcher. I like your style. Be careful out there. If you ever come up to N Idaho let me know lunch is on me.

Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: loosegoose] #6623035
09/22/19 10:26 PM
09/22/19 10:26 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
I remember watching one of Gary Jepsen's epic trapping videos, I forget which one... but it was like watching a major motion picture the production was done so well.
In the beginning, Gary spoke the the importance of having adaquate horses - forget motor vehicles - we're talking horses....which are to be rotated, and using two horses at a time.
So I am assuming where he was trapping in the film was pretty (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) far away from civilization.

I'll have to dig out those video's and see if they state where they were filmed.

All I know is that the spaces were completely wide open, with nothing in view for miles around if I recall correctly.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: what's the most isolated spot in the lower 48? [Re: seniortrap] #6623037
09/22/19 10:27 PM
09/22/19 10:27 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Originally Posted by seniortrap
I would choose the U.P. of Michigan. There are places there that are secluded and private.

Casey from F&T told me the same thing during one of our many talks on the telephone, he said there are places out there still that only the Indians know about.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread