No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Computer problems can't get fixed. #6621671
09/21/19 12:14 AM
09/21/19 12:14 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I know this doesn't have anything to do with trapping, welding or some other manly pursuit, but this really has me under the table. So sit back with you drink of choice and see if it makes sense to anyone. There is a short version of this. On august 30, I had printing job to do for my class reunion. I printed without any problem160 pages of various things. Just plain B & W on letter paper. Didn't have anything to print for a few days, but on September 4, I had a Windows 10, critical update. Which seemed to go flawlessly. On September the 6th, I had a printing job to do for a genealogy customer. I opened program, clicked on printed and got nothing. I checked the connection and ran the gamut of all of the normal checks., About 3 or 4 times. It appeared the computer was not communicating or connecting to the printer. Now this is an almost $400 printer, because I prefer good result.

I contact with HP and they told me to do this and that and it should work. Well, it didn't. Since the printer is a few years old it is out of warranty and they said I could send it in and they would work on it. The said when I ask how much possibly $200 or more plus ship both ways. I ask them if they then guaranteed that it would work or they would give me my money back . NO!

So I got to thinking … I have had problem in the past with WIndows10 Critical updates. Phone call was fruitless, couldn't under stand the person and they really didn't sound like they were very bright. Probably reading out of a prepared script. So I looked through their site and found sever things they suggested … tried them and the didn't work. zSo I said to heck with it and bought a canon that was on sale.( that didn't really have money to spend on it.

I followed the their installation and set up instructions to a "T". The same dam thing. Worked on it for two days and have now had to stop. Having PTSD is not a fun thing to have and when something of this nature comes along... well the bottom drops out and I look for the deepest hole I can and fall into it.

I am getting really hard of hearing and talking with someone that is on the phone trying to me some in a half assed English/foreign language do help matters.I truly think it is Windows 10
Causing all of the prolems.

I if anyone out there is a computer whiz … and think they can help me... I would be very grateful for any assistance. My next step is to teach the computer some manner with a .45 cal.

Thank you for at least reading this.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621724
09/21/19 05:39 AM
09/21/19 05:39 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
When you click on print on your document it should bring up a box with a bunch of options. One of those options should be which printer you want to send the document to. Make sure it is your printer and not microsoft pdf or anther like program.

If it is also a copier does that side of things work ok?

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621747
09/21/19 06:40 AM
09/21/19 06:40 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Used too much when it was new..

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: elkaholic] #6621748
09/21/19 06:43 AM
09/21/19 06:43 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by elkaholic
When you click on print on your document it should bring up a box with a bunch of options. One of those options should be which printer you want to send the document to. Make sure it is your printer and not microsoft pdf or anther like program.

If it is also a copier does that side of things work ok?

This is one of the most common problems for not printing

Actor if you were closer I would stop in and give you a hand

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621749
09/21/19 06:46 AM
09/21/19 06:46 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Not to brag, but I'm kind of an expert at eliminating computer problems. Here's the trick....take the biggest hammer you can find, and smash it to pieces. Once you do that it'll never cause you problems again. Then go buy a new one.

(Notice I said I could eliminate the problem, not fix the computer)

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621752
09/21/19 06:49 AM
09/21/19 06:49 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
i have had the printer driver go poof on me a few times.
had to get online and download the driver again now all is well till the next time

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621755
09/21/19 06:58 AM
09/21/19 06:58 AM
Southern Indiana
H
Hoosier71 Offline
trapper
Hoosier71  Offline
trapper
H

Southern Indiana
Sounds like you have tried the obvious stuff. I guarantee there are kids at the local high school that could help. Got any connections with the school to try? A friends teenage child or grandchild?

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621801
09/21/19 08:28 AM
09/21/19 08:28 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Does your computer say anything when you try to print? Should be a printer dialog box somewhere showing current jobs, should be on the toolbar or quick access bar. If not go into the printer area of the control panel.

As mentioned above, make sure the printer you want to print to is set as the default and when you try to print, make sure the print dialog has your printer selected.

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621826
09/21/19 09:02 AM
09/21/19 09:02 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Actor
My next step is to teach the computer some manner

My next step would be to take it to Staples or Best Buy or ANY local 'puter shop and let a pro look at it. The money avoiding MORE stress/strife is usually well spent.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621848
09/21/19 09:36 AM
09/21/19 09:36 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
We don't know what solutions you've tried, so let's start from the beginning. I'll assume you know enough to navigate through menus. Go to:

1. Settings
2. Devices
3, Printers & scanners (on the left-hand sidebar)

Do you see your printer listed under "Printers & scanners" on the right-hand side? If yes, is it listed as the Default?

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621857
09/21/19 09:47 AM
09/21/19 09:47 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Well I haven't messed with Windows for years. Let me see if I understand correctly. Your old printer worked fine until you got an update then things went bad. So after all the trouble and not getting the printer to work you bought a new one and it won't work either? You can restore your computer to an earlier time (I think) but after either 10 or 30 days it will no longer revert back without still using those new updates. You can uninstall the new updates and reinstall them. If I have understood right then you computer is not talking to your printers. Maybe the new update polluted your drivers to the printer. So you may have to put those back on either by Downloading off the net or off disc supplied with printer (if they still do that), as Cotton suggested.
Whatever you do if you start messing with those updates and or restore, be sure to backup all your important stuff to an outside source (usb harddrive or flashdrive ).

I feel for you.

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621879
09/21/19 10:34 AM
09/21/19 10:34 AM
PA
S
scrapper Offline
trapper
scrapper  Offline
trapper
S

PA
Windows 10 does the same thing for me when it updates. Printer won't work, favorites are wiped out. ticks a person off. On mine, it either throws the printer into an error state, or changes the default setting.

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621880
09/21/19 10:38 AM
09/21/19 10:38 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
I had to remove the new update and turn off the auto updates. It messed half the programs up on 3 of our comp. My wife teaches 2 on-line classes and needless to say there was panick for a few days. I called Microsoft and they walked me thru removing the updates....

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621910
09/21/19 11:52 AM
09/21/19 11:52 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I am not a computer whiz, but I can function pretty well in handling most programs … when it comes to the highly technical stuff … I don't mess with it. The bad thing is … I have just read through every suggestion every is trying to be helpful … but I have done, I think everyone has suggested. I too have had previous problems with upgrades … lost favorites once and lost all my emails once, but those were things that, although didn't make me very happy... it didn't devastate me.

I got the new printer, because It is a number of years old. Even though I have been using it with out any problems, until this last update. If I reinstall windows, I will lose everything and with that I might as well take a sledge hammer to the computer I have.

When I go into devices etc … it shows that the printer is default and it says, "This device is working properly".. When I try to print something from any program, and I have tried all of them, it goes to the queue and then just disappears and says on the print screen "Collecting Printer Status".... then just goes away

When I run the trouble shooter, either on printer or computer …. I get: "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem" … so it is telling me there is problem, but isn't smart enough to know what it is.

I can't afford to pay a couple hundred dollars to have someone check it. I ask them at Best Buy … if I paid them a hundred bucks to work on it and the couldn't fix it, would I get my money back and they told me NO!

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621936
09/21/19 01:02 PM
09/21/19 01:02 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Just restore it to the date before as already suggested then turn of auto up dates. PLUS THEN when it ask to update decline decline decline !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621938
09/21/19 01:04 PM
09/21/19 01:04 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Google how to restore on you phone or laptop if you have one . Then you can pause and play as you restore your PC . IT WILL WORK !!!! that's what I had to do to mine after the win 10 update

Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6621944
09/21/19 01:13 PM
09/21/19 01:13 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I think I would UNINSTALL the printer and then REINSTALL it. Maybe you have tried that already.

Mean As Nails
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6622170
09/21/19 07:50 PM
09/21/19 07:50 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
I think I would UNINSTALL the printer and then REINSTALL it. Maybe you have tried that already.

That's what I was thinking.

Possibly you could go to Control Panel, click on Devices & Printers, click on that particular printer, then click on Status to see what print jobs are in the que. Restarting printing might be an option there. If the que is full I would consider deleting some jobs, but deleting print jobs is a slow process.

I had a similar problem awhile back, and as best I remember I cured it by clicking restart printing on the status page.

For my part, I have switched from HP to Brother Printers because of the frequency and cost of replacing HP ink cartridges.

Last edited by Furvor; 09/21/19 08:07 PM.
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6622171
09/21/19 07:53 PM
09/21/19 07:53 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Actor
I know this doesn't have anything to do with trapping, welding or some other manly pursuit, but this really has me under the table. So sit back with you drink of choice and see if it makes sense to anyone. There is a short version of this. On august 30, I had printing job to do for my class reunion. I printed without any problem160 pages of various things. Just plain B & W on letter paper. Didn't have anything to print for a few days, but on September 4, I had a Windows 10, critical update. Which seemed to go flawlessly. On September the 6th, I had a printing job to do for a genealogy customer. I opened program, clicked on printed and got nothing. I checked the connection and ran the gamut of all of the normal checks., About 3 or 4 times. It appeared the computer was not communicating or connecting to the printer. Now this is an almost $400 printer, because I prefer good result.

I contact with HP and they told me to do this and that and it should work. Well, it didn't. Since the printer is a few years old it is out of warranty and they said I could send it in and they would work on it. The said when I ask how much possibly $200 or more plus ship both ways. I ask them if they then guaranteed that it would work or they would give me my money back . NO!

So I got to thinking … I have had problem in the past with WIndows10 Critical updates. Phone call was fruitless, couldn't under stand the person and they really didn't sound like they were very bright. Probably reading out of a prepared script. So I looked through their site and found sever things they suggested … tried them and the didn't work. zSo I said to heck with it and bought a canon that was on sale.( that didn't really have money to spend on it.

I followed the their installation and set up instructions to a "T". The same dam thing. Worked on it for two days and have now had to stop. Having PTSD is not a fun thing to have and when something of this nature comes along... well the bottom drops out and I look for the deepest hole I can and fall into it.

I am getting really hard of hearing and talking with someone that is on the phone trying to me some in a half assed English/foreign language do help matters.I truly think it is Windows 10
Causing all of the prolems.

I if anyone out there is a computer whiz … and think they can help me... I would be very grateful for any assistance. My next step is to teach the computer some manner with a .45 cal.

Thank you for at least reading this.

Garry-

When stuff like that happens to me I google it..... I usually find a fix.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Computer problems can't get fixed. [Re: Actor] #6622185
09/21/19 08:14 PM
09/21/19 08:14 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
This might help.