No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621891
09/21/19 10:56 AM
09/21/19 10:56 AM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
" reminds me of my former daughter in law who always went out of her way to run cats over....until one day she flipped her car over in a ditch while chasing a cat"

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621894
09/21/19 11:05 AM
09/21/19 11:05 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Like the ideas trappers always come up with to deal with the elements in so many things . cool

Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621897
09/21/19 11:17 AM
09/21/19 11:17 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
When I was in Law Enforcement in the 70's, we had a rash of mailboxes vs. baseball bats. At that time they were still using wood bats. There was a shrewd old farmer that had his box smashed 2 times. I handled the report of the 2nd time. Of course he wanted to know what we were doing to stop it. I told him I patrolled the back roads as much as I could, but still had other calls to handle, and that didn't leave a lot of time some nights.

Well, as I stated he was a shrewd old son-of-gun. He didn't try and repair the box, he just bought new ones. Starting my shift the day after taking my report, I drove by his house when my shift started at 11:00 PM. The wasn't any mail box on his post. I thought maybe someone had already knocked a new from the post. I pulled cruiser into his drive and got out and started looking around to see if I could find one in the weeds. Nope, none there. The next morning at the end of my shift I drove back by his farm. There he was, out mounting a new mail box to the post.

I stopped and told him I was curious that I hadn't seen a box up last night. He said, he hadn't got the new one finished. I walked over to where he was working and saw he had taken his tractor with an auger attached to the PTO, had taken 3 lengths of well casing, welded them together with a heavy steel flat piece on top with 4 holes in it. He then fabricated a mail box out 3/8 steel and attached the door from one of the old boxes along with the red flag. He had cemented the post in the ground. I told him that should slow them down. He said, that will slow them down, but this will stop them. I walked around the box to the opposite side of the box and burst out laughing. He had welded another plate to the side of the box. The sidethey always hit. He had drilled holes in the plate and inserted decking type screws through the holes that protruded out about 2 inches and spot welded them tight. He wasn't finished yet. He took a tool, like a Dremel tool and ground the threads off part way down and made sure all of the tips were extremely sharp. He must of had 25 or 30 screws mounted on the plate.

Well, I was on days off the next two days, but when I got back to work, I found out the little punks had struck again the night before, but they had caught them this time. I said let me guess where … Farmer Flemming's? Yep ! Just so happened that the culprits coming down the road saw that nice new box sitting there. and the swinger was leaning about half of body out of the car when he swung and made perfect contact. He had a good grip on the bat so he didn't drop it and impaled the bat on the screws and since these guys never stop their cars completely, they slow down just enough to get a good swing and to make a solid contact. As soon as they make contact, the driver speeds up. But this time when he sped up he jerked the swinger out of the car and he landed on his right arm, shoulder and head. He broke his arm and got a good concussion out of the fall.

When the farmer got to him, the driver and others in the car were gone. The farmer said, the swinger was sitting there crying like a little girl and the bat was still impaled on the screws. The worst part for him was he was a star athlete, senior from a town in the next county over. He not only didn't get to play sports that year, but potentially lost a scholarship. He squealed on the 3 others that had been in the car. His parents wanted to sue the farmer, but decided against it, in leu of reduced charges, both Federal and State, on their son.

The farmer was offered money for his losses, but refused. He said, the losses were worth the money, just seeing that jock sitting there crying like a little girl.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621937
09/21/19 01:04 PM
09/21/19 01:04 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
used to have problems with someone driving over mailbox's LE told me I couldn't put in an immovable post so I welded a roughly 2 foot piece of 3/4 in plate to the pipe bottom kinda like a irregular star week or to later it was gone but I found it maybe a hundred yds down the road all bent up but lots of oil gas and exhaust parts around didn't follow the trail but no problems after that

olden tyred
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621951
09/21/19 01:22 PM
09/21/19 01:22 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
When we first moved into our place which at that time was kind of out in the country, in the first week our mailbox got hit and the post broken. Did not have time to do a good fix so set the mailbox on top of an old kitchen stool. The next morning the mailbox and stool were laying in the ditch. Soooo.....took out 4 concrete blocks the next evening in the dark and set them on the stool with the mailbox on top. Sure enough, the next morning it was all in the ditch. Walked out there and found the blocks with metallic blue paint all over them. Set things back up again and have not had a problem since 1981.

Moosetrot

Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621976
09/21/19 01:59 PM
09/21/19 01:59 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Had mine knocked down a few years back from a local drunk, the poor guy got picked up 2 weekends in a row in the same month! After that I put in a steel fence post with the plate sticking out of the dirt, they might get the mail box but they will be changing a tire down the road.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621979
09/21/19 02:04 PM
09/21/19 02:04 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
In all my years out in the country (almost all of my 62+)I have never had a mailbox vandalized. Granted there is always a first time. With the simplicity of trail cameras now a days I would put a few up around the mailbox when you replace a vandalized one, specially if it happens often. I like to put a couple on the ground in a rockpile or flower bed, mound of dirt, etc. I have several inside birdhouses at our family farms or uninhabited farmyards. Word of caution if you put them low.... grass and weeds will grow blocking your picture or triggering the camera. On my new mailbox here at my "Bottomland Acres Ranch" the post made from [Linked Image]
heavy pipe is made to swivel at the base if it is hit by a vehicle or farm equipment.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6621988
09/21/19 02:22 PM
09/21/19 02:22 PM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Love the swivel post idea.

Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: Archeryguy] #6622043
09/21/19 04:29 PM
09/21/19 04:29 PM

C
CGilliam
Unregistered
CGilliam
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted by Archeryguy

Kind of reminds me of my former daughter in law who always went out of her way to run cats over....until one day she flipped her car over in a ditch while chasing a cat.

She couldn't stop and shoot it like a normal person? SMH

Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6622141
09/21/19 07:13 PM
09/21/19 07:13 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Used to throw beer bottles out the window of the car until one bounced back and went through the wind shield.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6622212
09/21/19 08:51 PM
09/21/19 08:51 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
We put a live possum in our mailbox one time. We didn’t get no mail and Mom got a phone call instead. What fun!

Re: Hit and Run Mailbox [Re: SGT. C] #6622316
09/22/19 12:23 AM
09/22/19 12:23 AM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline
trapper
Tommie  Offline
trapper
T

middle tennessee
Ours got hit 2 years ago . I was just coming out the door when I heard all this noise and then seen concrete flying. There is nothing like seeing a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete coming at you . My oldest son was just coming in from work and jump in his truck and then the chase was on . I went back in and grabbed my keys and following too . We finally caught up to them with a blown out tire ,crushed fender and bumper . They left the car about 5 miles down the road from the house , so we called the law and filed a report . They towed the car and charged them with leaving the scene of a accident and destruction of property. In the end we got 75.00 from the guy. Told him all he had to do was stop and tell us he hit it and charges would never be filed on him.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread