No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
deer decoy #6623328
09/23/19 10:33 AM
09/23/19 10:33 AM
IL
H
houndone Offline OP
trapper
houndone  Offline OP
trapper
H

IL
does anyone use them and what is your opinion on them helping.

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623352
09/23/19 11:13 AM
09/23/19 11:13 AM
North Fairfield Ohio
B
BryanOney Offline
trapper
BryanOney  Offline
trapper
B

North Fairfield Ohio
I have used a doe decoy. It draws in bucks sometimes if they come in alone. Does freak out about it and start stomping and blowing. They usually run off taking the deer that are with them away. Want to try a buck decoy this year. I have friends that have good success with buck decoys.

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623415
09/23/19 01:03 PM
09/23/19 01:03 PM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Had lots of fun hunting over a decoy..

Never tried a buck but had good success using a doe..

Only used it during the rut phases..

Does will spook pretty quick..

Used it on the edge of swamps edge of thick cover or small openings in heavy grass areas..
Just make sure the buck can pick it up from a distance say 30 yards or so, had a couple bucks walk right into the decoy before they could see it and jump out of their skin...

First buck I ever shot over a decoy came out of thick cover and spooked ran towards my tree and stopped to take another look at the decoy and I shot him at 15 yards...

But I've also blown some good hunts using one but heck it was fun.

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623425
09/23/19 01:28 PM
09/23/19 01:28 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I've had lots of good and bad experiences using a Deer decoy.

1. Does are nervous of a doe decoy, I won't use just a doe decoy.

2. If using 1 decoy use a small buck decoy... cut off part of the antlers on one side...or use a fork horn set drilled on to the decoy.

3. A standing buck decoy over a bedded doe decoy is usually magic.

4. Spray the decoy down with a odor eliminating hunting spray... I use Deer Dander after eliminating sprays, or just Deer Dander alone.

5. Use a Tail that is visible but will not flap up in a wind.

6. Put any Buck or doe specific lure in a film canister or small lure holder and put it on the ground below the decoy.

7. Don't put decoys in tight places ...keep them where deer will see them and have the choice to approach or not.

8. Decoys are Not the Magic bullet, but a Tool like a deer call. If you try them with practice and over time you will have Good and bad experiences for yourself....

Ive had More Great experiences using them than the few times It messed up the hunt day.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623448
09/23/19 02:22 PM
09/23/19 02:22 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Last year, ODNR put up a deer decoy, of a large buck, about half a mile from the edge of my property, on my road. They put it right at the bend, so your headlights would hit it when you came around the curve. I saw it while they were assembling it right before dark.

Keith

Re: deer decoy [Re: KeithC] #6623459
09/23/19 02:54 PM
09/23/19 02:54 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by KeithC
Last year, ODNR put up a deer decoy, of a large buck, about half a mile from the edge of my property, on my road. They put it right at the bend, so your headlights would hit it when you came around the curve. I saw it while they were assembling it right before dark.

Keith

Not exactly what the OP meant, but Ok....LOL! grin

But you still shot it?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: deer decoy [Re: 330-Trapper] #6623489
09/23/19 03:58 PM
09/23/19 03:58 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Not exactly what the OP meant, but Ok....LOL! grin

But you still shot it?

I saw the buck with it's head still on the ground, with 2 guys standing there tinkering with it. I thought it would give them to bad of a scare, if I shot it with them working on it still. wink

I would of liked to get a close look at the buck, but thought it was a bad idea to show any interest in it.

I have had bucks beat up my archery targets, if I leave them out during the rut. I don't know if they tried to fight them or mount them.

Keith

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623707
09/23/19 10:06 PM
09/23/19 10:06 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD

I love when a buck decoy works, which is probably less than 12 days in a season. I have the flambeau boss buck. I’ve witnessed some great encounters with it. Bucks come in bristled up, side stepping, and will even challenge it, knocking it over and then busting away as they were fooled. Try it! It’s more work, kind of a pain to carry in and set up, but one good encounter and you will see. I like the laying doe idea with a standing buck, I will look into that one! Agree with the above, pull one antler off or use a fork horn set to mimick a less mature buck

John

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623736
09/23/19 10:39 PM
09/23/19 10:39 PM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

I have tried it and agree with the above posters that does are more wary of them than bucks. I also agree that it works best in an open area such as a tree stand on the edge of a field with the decoy(s) in the field. I have had bucks sidestep with ears back all around them, but have never had one attacked myself. However, I have a friend who has had one totally destroyed a couple of times. I think a laying down doe with a buck standing over her is the best combo, or just a lone buck is much better odds than just the doe alone, but that's just my experience. Good luck with it, and as they say dont knock it till ya try it , lol.

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623758
09/23/19 11:11 PM
09/23/19 11:11 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I've had one for 18 yrs. Only hunting accessory that worked better than I hoped. Buck decoy works much better than a doe but with that said i killed my buck last year in a 640 acre 6inch high grass crp field at 12 yds almost out of self defense behind a doe decoy. It amazes me how much it fools them. And I did have mine attacked once. Actually the buck attacked once while it was standing and twice after he knocked it over. They do need to see it from at least 50 yds or it can spook them. It's funny what some bucks will do to try to figure out why the decoy wont move.

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623805
09/24/19 01:11 AM
09/24/19 01:11 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Had a small buck approach one. It smelled of both ends, butted it, and was totally confused.m. I took my largest buck ever from an enclosed stand. The doe decoy was 100 yards behind me and my buck was walking slowly toward it, and toward me, when I killed him.

My doe decoy also has a bullet hole in it, so think carefully where you station it.

Had fun one New Year’s Eve when I slipped a decoy into the front yard and put it in a landscape bed. During dinner, I “noticed” it. Every quest thought it was real and some even said it moved its head.

Re: deer decoy [Re: houndone] #6623809
09/24/19 01:31 AM
09/24/19 01:31 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline
trapper
kyron4  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
What about fawn decoys ?