No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Nessmuck] #6625120
09/25/19 08:03 PM
09/25/19 08:03 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Sounds like a good fair, here I believe the last one in the state is the spencer county fair and it for ten days after Labor Day, so the vegetables are slim in a late like this one.

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Nessmuck] #6625163
09/25/19 08:50 PM
09/25/19 08:50 PM
Newton N.H.
T
trapete Offline
trapper
trapete  Offline
trapper
T

Newton N.H.

It is one of the better fairs, used to compete as a lot of them as a teen in FFA. I will be going to Deerfield fair on Friday.

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Bob_Iowa] #6625180
09/25/19 09:09 PM
09/25/19 09:09 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
What do you guys have for attractions besides animal shows, the state fair here has a butter cow, here is a link so you have an idea.

https://www.iowastatefair.org/about/butter-cow/

The Potter County Fair has lots of raffles, guns, ATV's, etc. The Game Commission and Dept. of Conservation &Natural Resources are there with their respective educational trailers. The regional state representative is there with lots of free stuff. Last year I got a bunch of rifle targets, a current year hunting/trapping digest and some other literature.

The bingo hall, tons of food and all the usual carnival rides.

But, like I said, the animals are the main attraction for us; the horse pulls and various riding events, all the different 4-H animals to be judged and the auction.

There's a big fireworks display the last night.

Eh...wot?

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Lugnut] #6625283
09/25/19 10:51 PM
09/25/19 10:51 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin has a county fair in almost everyone of our 72 counties. Some are very big with 100k attending in 4 days while most are small and some very small. I have not shown dairy cattle for 50 years, but our granddaughter shows some beef, sheep, rabbits and chickens through 4-H. We are selling my Hereford herd and getting more sheep and raising more New Zealand Rabbits for fryers. We will add more sheep as we have found a good live market for the smaller Katahdin with a buyer that knows the markets. No shearing and a lot smaller animals to deal with.

We have a very large meat animal sale every year and yes prices are very high but most of the monies goes into scholarship funds for the youths and that helps buyers and parents to know where the funds will go.

Bryce

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: bblwi] #6625334
09/26/19 12:14 AM
09/26/19 12:14 AM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
The State Fair of Texas opens this Friday, Sept. 27th and will run through Oct. 20th. in Dallas, Texas
There is absolutely more to see there than one can imagine.
2.5 million people are expected to go through the gates at this year's event.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Nessmuck] #6625404
09/26/19 05:53 AM
09/26/19 05:53 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Back in August just ran my 6th Nebraska state fair marathon (and that was my 18th overall marathon completed) The Nebraska state fair marathon is by far one of my favorite races each year. Not many entries, it's completely flat course in Grand Island (fastest, flattest course in the nation) and is a Boston certified course. There are literally no hills in Grand Island, and per my Garmin watch the total elevation change over the entire course was just 13 feet...seriously. it's that flat. This year it absolutely poured rain on us the last 5-6 miles, couldn't hardly see a couple blocks ahead of us at times. After the race we generally just walk around the fair, check out exhibits, sample food, and have a great day. This years weather was the exception though. Headed straight for the vehicle and drove through pouring rain most of way home.
Jim
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jabNE; 09/26/19 05:55 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: jabNE] #6625468
09/26/19 07:29 AM
09/26/19 07:29 AM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
Originally Posted by jabNE
Back in August just ran my 6th Nebraska state fair marathon (and that was my 18th overall marathon completed) The Nebraska state fair marathon is by far one of my favorite races each year. Not many entries, it's completely flat course in Grand Island (fastest, flattest course in the nation) and is a Boston certified course. There are literally no hills in Grand Island, and per my Garmin watch the total elevation change over the entire course was just 13 feet...seriously. it's that flat. This year it absolutely poured rain on us the last 5-6 miles, couldn't hardly see a couple blocks ahead of us at times. After the race we generally just walk around the fair, check out exhibits, sample food, and have a great day. This years weather was the exception though. Headed straight for the vehicle and drove through pouring rain most of way home.
Jim
[Linked Image]

good for you jab..I really miss my marathon days..never qualified for Boston ..9 minutes was as close as I could get..which you would understand is still a long ways away from qualifing....those days are gone for me...enjoy it while you are able to..

Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Nessmuck] #6625527
09/26/19 08:20 AM
09/26/19 08:20 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Oh I'm sure there aren't many left in me. At 53 I'm seeing a few more injuries than I'd like each year. Been battling an ankle tendon issue that is really nagging me.
I have the market to market related coming up in two weeks. That's an 8 person team, 75 miles, omaha old market to lincoln haymarket area.
Then just a half marathon at start of november, good life halfsy, that's a fun race.
Then just a few fun and relaxing early morning runs rest of november to keep it going until Thanksgiving and time to trap for couple months and rest the legs!
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 09/26/19 08:22 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Been to any Fairs ? [Re: Nessmuck] #6625540
09/26/19 08:32 AM
09/26/19 08:32 AM
NE South Dakota
F
Foxlaketrapper Offline
trapper
Foxlaketrapper  Offline
trapper
F

NE South Dakota
We show sheep at 3 state fairs and 3 county fairs We used to go to 8 state fairs and show. This was my dads 70th year exhibiting at the South Dakota state fair. We show 4 breeds, Hamps, Babydoll southdowns, Targee and Dorpers. Have 60 plus head at the fairs makes a lot of work but the kids do well and enjoy it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread