Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Help Black bear hunt #6628537
09/29/19 04:55 PM
09/29/19 04:55 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline OP
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline OP
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
So with work this fall had no time to hunt except a day or two around home , and now finally being able to take atleast a long weekend. So with most seasons closed think a black bear hunt maybe the best option to get the family out in the woods . Was thinking area 13D or 11 which are not to far of a drive with our limited time , but have not hunted these area yet with my limited time in Alaska. So any help would be appreciated, spots to camp , areas to start looking for bear . Will have wheelers with and a enclosed trailer we camp in. Any suggestions will come in very handy as I have lived in Alaska for about a year and a half now and have a very hard time getting in the woods with work and limited know how. This is such a big area to learn and the majority of people I know are at work and they don't hunt so they are no help. Any other ideas for a hunt would be great.

Thanks Dave

Last edited by chasing eyes; 09/29/19 05:24 PM.
Re: Help Black bear hunt [Re: chasing eyes] #6629132
09/30/19 09:49 AM
09/30/19 09:49 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I wish I could help you with specific areas to camp or hunt. The best I can do is offer some general advice for hunting an area you are unfamiliar with.

I would leave the wheelers at home. Go find a spot to camp and then climb some terrain and glass. I believe that would be the best way to cover as much territory as possible with the least effort and disturbance.

Mean As Nails
Re: Help Black bear hunt [Re: chasing eyes] #6629186
09/30/19 11:07 AM
09/30/19 11:07 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
If you can find areas that still have a few blueberries, that would be a good area to keep an eye on.

As W17 suggests, shoe leather and long hours glassing will be far more productive than putting miles on your 4 wheelers.

Pete

Re: Help Black bear hunt [Re: chasing eyes] #6629229
09/30/19 12:14 PM
09/30/19 12:14 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline OP
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline OP
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
Thanks for the good advice agree that boots on the ground and time is best was only thinking the wheelers to get back of the road aways but with out knowing the area and where the trails are you guys are right to leave them home.

Re: Help Black bear hunt [Re: chasing eyes] #6629840
10/01/19 12:51 AM
10/01/19 12:51 AM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline OP
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline OP
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
Does anyone know if there is a good spot on the McCarthy rd to camp ?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman