No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: No trap check changes [Re: stinkypete] #6632548
10/04/19 11:00 AM
10/04/19 11:00 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by stinkypete
Our law states now every calender day. It use to state every 24 hrs. Actor. No one was riding you. Gee'z Trapping in the Dakotas is way different then OH. I sure miss the days of running multiple lines in MN with the extended check laws. Glad it worked out for the SD trappers

Same here in WI, daily check, not 24 hour, for dryland and non-submersion (drowning) sets.

Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632556
10/04/19 11:06 AM
10/04/19 11:06 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
A longer check time would help me personally a lot. Getting the Association on board well, be easier to get em to change their shorts lol.

Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632558
10/04/19 11:10 AM
10/04/19 11:10 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Originally Posted by Law Dog
The other one cheated also had her sister sign up and finish what she had on a paper that she did not have time to read.

Figures!

Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632563
10/04/19 11:22 AM
10/04/19 11:22 AM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Actor the advantage not having 24 hour check laws allows me to run 3 independent trap lines in 3 different directions in 3 different counties...

Pure Blood
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632576
10/04/19 12:04 PM
10/04/19 12:04 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Are these trap check laws for footholds, snares or dry land body grip traps? Makes sense for snares and BG traps, not so sure about a 3-day check for footholds. But that's just my opinion. We have a 4 day check for submersion sets, but when I'm rat trapping I rarely go 4 days between checks because a trap could connect anytime after I set it and then its plugged up and not catching fur until I reset.

It makes sense if you have a 3 day check you could run 3 lines in 3 different directions. Different environment out there allows for that I'm sure. Since I live and trap in WI and will likely never trap OP's neck of the woods, my opinion doesn't really matter. But I'm still glad you were able to hold off against the anti attack.

Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632613
10/04/19 01:17 PM
10/04/19 01:17 PM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"

Misery
Would love to try a 2-3 day check, I need to move west!

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632637
10/04/19 02:15 PM
10/04/19 02:15 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Actor no worries it's not you it's a environmental issue most likely, when people think your OK with restricting trapping they see danger but may not understand that's your normal expectation where your at.

The Anti's want to over regulate to discourage our sport it's called the death of a thousand cuts they proposed several costly steps from added paperwork to a 3rd person being able to dispatch or release a catch from a trap. The GFP asked for 3 days Statewide they settled on leaving it as it was before. The same person trying to pass the 24 check for whatever emotional reasons they can make up is the same lady that was against the bounty program using live traps so it adds up to banning all trapping as a goal. The same lady also made proposals last year to restrict trappers.

This lady sells herself as the Audubon Society but I will look into if she really is any part of that origination even, she is the tool of the anti commissioner he loads the gun and she shoots it, like a host/parasite relationship. Might be better to let them continue as the obvious inappropriate relationship is what will work better for us as it goes on.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632640
10/04/19 02:22 PM
10/04/19 02:22 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
No shortage of antis at the meeting one was trying to sell the idea that a lot of trappers wanted the 24 hr checks, I'm sure she did some serious cherry picking to come up with that idea. The did look East and pointed out the 24 hr check States but failed to look West because that did not fit their agendas.

When the Mountain Lion season portion started the next anti was going on with the BS they were selling to not hunt lions when they just keep expanding their range in many places.

Jerry Herbst
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632788
10/04/19 06:52 PM
10/04/19 06:52 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Just to make it clear I just showed up and looked things over the guys from the Trappers Asso. and other trappers spoke up, I was to late to sign up. I was able to introduce my State District Representative to the West River Asso. President and we brought her up to speed on the dealings going on that were suspicious.

Names were exchanged so other Representatives could get together with her on the issues, she's from farm country so she understands the need for trapping.

Jerry Herbst
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Actor] #6632853
10/04/19 08:42 PM
10/04/19 08:42 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Originally Posted by Actor
Okay … I guess a person can no longer ask a question on here that SOME think is controversial … or that SOME think they are being attacked … to come and attack me or someone else. I ask the question because I never had the luxury of a 2 or 3 day check … I NEVER challenged anyone about it. I wanted to know, I was interested, and there was a war started. I thought I could ask a question from one of the members that I had looked up to as being respectable and well …..

I have nothing more to say about this and shall refrain from partaking in any further action in the open forum …

Sorry Paul …

Garry-

Nothing wrong with a good open debate. Some people get a bit passionate about the subject is all. Trapping the wide open prairie and Ohio has got to be a big difference. Also thought you've had some good posts over the years.

I'd bet there is plenty of places even us Dakotas trappers wouldnt go more than a daily check on because if our trap connected it could potentially leave an animal bouncing around for a few days making for bad PR. If only common sense would prevail amongst every trapper we wouldnt be giving the antis any ammo.

Yet I can also say that going two different directions depending on the day due to the amount of miles it takes to get in to different family groups of coyotes is nice. Also when the weather is cold it's an unnecessary waste of fuel when you can let them soak for a while if you're running snares.

Last edited by Nd native; 10/04/19 08:43 PM.
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6632928
10/04/19 10:37 PM
10/04/19 10:37 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
When I first came out West the idea of road hunting was unheard of where I came from (IL) to say I was slow to act would be a understatement, that is because I was conditioned from the place I came from that it was not the way it was done. I quickly embraced it and learned a few tricks as I went along, a person adapts to their surroundings.

Jerry Herbst
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6633252
10/05/19 11:33 AM
10/05/19 11:33 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Here is an example of the advantage of extended check laws.
MN has daily check on footholds and snares, but extended to three days on drowners or body grips. MN also has ongoing controversy about the danger of body grips killing dogs. Snares and footholds are much more efficient than body grips for bobcats, but dialy checks of cat sets are very inefficient due to their large home range and infrequent visits. This essentially forces many cat trappers that have a job to use body grips just to take advantage of extended checks. Not the most efficient for catching cats and encourging the potential for dog/trap encounters which could be reduced by giving trappers the option of extended check on footholds and snares.

Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6633327
10/05/19 02:37 PM
10/05/19 02:37 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
They need to understand that the goal of the anti is to stop trapping and not improve it in any way! It's kind of a joke the one approach to the bounty system and really all vermin trapping here is that we are trapping them to improve a invasive species (pheasants).

You can bet if you posted a limit of a good days hunt they would be barking about that also. LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: No trap check changes [Re: Law Dog] #6633395
10/05/19 04:20 PM
10/05/19 04:20 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Sent this to the GFP Facebook site.

"Went to the Commissioners Meeting in Chamberlain last week it seemed like the Anti's and a Commissioner were working together? You might want to look into that maybe review the tape the State made. Pretty sure Stevie Wonder would of picked up on it! I was there for the trapping part."

Next another email to the Governor.

Jerry Herbst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread