No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: Dirt] #6632103
10/03/19 06:56 PM
10/03/19 06:56 PM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by mink99
What is kinda interesting is that so many types of wild fur are effected by the ranch mink market. Basically coyotes are immune for now. I thought something like sable would be on their own market yet ranch mink controls that market too.

A buyer can get a big ranch mink for 30 dollars, he is not going pay 100 dollars for a half the size marten very long.

Heck, if a buyer can get a $30 mink he isn't going to pay $50 for the same size marten.

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632113
10/03/19 07:10 PM
10/03/19 07:10 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Odd, buyers are paying 50 dollars for marten that are half the size of a ranch mink currently.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632452
10/04/19 09:04 AM
10/04/19 09:04 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Never read the whole post so sorry if this has been asked,,, How much you suppose NAFA will make on guys who don't screw with getting a low dollar check reissued? $10-20 ea. could add up pretty fast.

Believe it or not there are trappers who are not on trapperman to see these posts. Are they sending letters to EVERYONE who was issued a bad check?

Last edited by ~ADC~; 10/04/19 09:12 AM.
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: lumberjack391] #6632499
10/04/19 09:54 AM
10/04/19 09:54 AM
OR
C
Catcollector Offline
trapper
Catcollector  Offline
trapper
C

OR
The thing is Lumberjack the auction house charges a per pelt fee and a handling fee (which have both risen dramatically) to the buyer on top of your commission and the buyer commission... It seems like a pretty sweet deal for them, you just have to be able to ratchet up and down to match the demand w/ your overhead... These guys aren't wizards but you also can't be on vacation when your house is on fire.

Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632524
10/04/19 10:26 AM
10/04/19 10:26 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Why is it a bank can charge 20.00-50.00 for a returned check but when I get one its "Oh well, sorry bout your luck"?

Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632569
10/04/19 11:34 AM
10/04/19 11:34 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The bank didnt quit nafa when times were good

Who is John Galt?
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: ~ADC~] #6632577
10/04/19 12:09 PM
10/04/19 12:09 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline OP
trapper
trapper ron  Offline OP
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Never read the whole post so sorry if this has been asked,,, How much you suppose NAFA will make on guys who don't screw with getting a low dollar check reissued? $10-20 ea. could add up pretty fast.

Believe it or not there are trappers who are not on trapperman to see these posts. Are they sending letters to EVERYONE who was issued a bad check?

Yes letters are going out to all the shippers from this sale. We do have to answer questions on the forums and Facebook pages. Yes it will be costly to reimburse all of the NSF charges and NAFA respects and accepts that.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632601
10/04/19 01:04 PM
10/04/19 01:04 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I don't think there's any conspiracy to pull a fast one on those who received bad checks, or that NAFA is being openly dishonest here. There’s no reason for that. We're just not getting the full story, which is par for the course these days within the corporate world.

The timing of these things and the vague language used are all carefully orchestrated, more or less. That doesn't make it a conspiracy, but it does mean that some questions will go unanswered.

Besides they're not obligated to reveal anything to us, publicly or privately. They'll do what they think is needed to manage the crisis without risking stakeholders and their support. Where trappers fall along that stakeholder continuum dictates the kind of response/detail provided.

NAFA's “Bank” sent them a clear message, reiterating their (NAFA’s) place along the Bank's financial continuum....

So where do we as trappers stand now?

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632667
10/04/19 03:17 PM
10/04/19 03:17 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
This check bouncing fiasco has hurt many trappers' confidence in NAFA. The rumours of NAFA going through bankruptcy, company reorganization and downsizing has also hurt many trappers' confidence in NAFA. I strongly suspect that many fewer trappers will ship to NAFA this trapping season and for valid reasons.

In the US, Groenwald will likely have many more trappers trying to sell to them. I hope Groenwald can handle the extra sales and still pay adequate prices.

I hope that NAFA is able to weather this tough year and to come out stronger.

We need more outlets for wild fur. We need the demand for wild fur to go up, or fur trapping will continue to become more of a hobby, than a reliable source of income.

I believe the entire fur garment industry needs to take a more modern approach to advertising. The industry should seek to gain the support and sponship of social influencers and to have constant exposure of fur garments on the popular social media sites. The fur garment industry to needs to change their marketing strategy for the times and stop the anti fur movement from gaining support or they will become just an odd footnote in history.

Keith

Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6632671
10/04/19 03:24 PM
10/04/19 03:24 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by trapper ron
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Yes letters are going out to all the shippers from this sale. We do have to answer questions on the forums and Facebook pages. Yes it will be costly to reimburse all of the NSF charges and NAFA respects and accepts that.

These letters, well the first one is at any rate as I haven't checked lately, is on your NAFA account page.

Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: KeithC] #6632696
10/04/19 04:13 PM
10/04/19 04:13 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by KeithC
This check bouncing fiasco has hurt many trappers' confidence in NAFA. The rumours of NAFA going through bankruptcy, company reorganization and downsizing has also hurt many trappers' confidence in NAFA. I strongly suspect that many fewer trappers will ship to NAFA this trapping season and for valid reasons.

In the US, Groenwald will likely have many more trappers trying to sell to them. I hope Groenwald can handle the extra sales and still pay adequate prices.

I hope that NAFA is able to weather this tough year and to come out stronger.

We need more outlets for wild fur. We need the demand for wild fur to go up, or fur trapping will continue to become more of a hobby, than a reliable source of income.

I believe the entire fur garment industry needs to take a more modern approach to advertising. The industry should seek to gain the support and sponship of social influencers and to have constant exposure of fur garments on the popular social media sites. The fur garment industry to needs to change their marketing strategy for the times and stop the anti fur movement from gaining support or they will become just an odd footnote in history.

Keith

Agree completely.

I see this as an opportunity. NAFA needs us and we need NAFA. It seems to me that our mutual self-interests can be more collaborative and less confrontational if we all acknowledge each other's interests, and work toward common ground that respects a more equal partnership in the decision making going forward.

Thoughts?

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6644529
10/20/19 10:48 PM
10/20/19 10:48 PM
Ct
S
Swamp Yankee Offline
trapper
Swamp Yankee  Offline
trapper
S

Ct
From where I sit we as trappers have been getting the shaft for quite a while and dont start with market fluctuations blah blah blah... nafa or should we call them by the name they originally used The Hudson Bay Company have been in the business of giving us the trappers the shaft for the last century. Dont start with the poor them stuff they've kept us under there thumb for century I dont see any of us getting rich but they keep making their money. Maybe now people will once again see they need us...sorry not ment to be a rant. But till it sorts out I'll continue to sell to the top dollar and if I dont like it I guess I'll learn to do something constructive with all my fur I'm thinking beaver pelt underwear.... who wants to be my first customer.

“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.” - President Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6644539
10/20/19 11:05 PM
10/20/19 11:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
This is just a harbinger of things to come.Countries are about set to go the same route as NAFA shortly.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Letter From NAFA President [Re: trapper ron] #6644549
10/20/19 11:13 PM
10/20/19 11:13 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
HAHA! NAFA starts bobbing for apples, and there goes the.free world!
Other options, folks. NAFA will either survive, or not. We have nothing to say about it

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread