No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635354
10/08/19 10:09 AM
10/08/19 10:09 AM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Originally Posted by James
Lol, I sometimes smoke a cigar when sitting at a moose-calling station. Not to judge the wind so much as to discourage the bugs. I justify it by reminding myself that a lighted tobacco stick is just a burning plant. Do you all think smoke alarms deer, if only faint?

I don't rely on the smoke to check the wind because I hunt moose in a forest of rolling hills where the wind gusts a lot in different directions. Kind of like the habitat of south and east Ohio, only the trees and underbrush belonging to different species. And, in my experience, a bull moose may come in from any direction, usually not the one you're watching.

A friend of mine saves the urine from his kill, usually a bull in various stages of rut, and then puts it on his coat and hat to mask his scent.

Speaking of which, what do you do up in a deer blind when you have to urinate? Let go over the side and don't worry about the urine scent? Or pee into a plastic jug taken along for that purpose?

Jim

Let go over the side.
The only time I go into scent covers & control is when I'm targeting a big guy. The rest of the time, have at it and play the wind when able. Not everyone is hunting a 170 every day.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635395
10/08/19 11:45 AM
10/08/19 11:45 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I hunt deer where I check my cows every other day or so. They know me and are used to me driving by on an atv. I often check my cows and shoot deer less than two hours apart. Sometimes I wear camo but generally bluejeans or carhart bibs and a warm jacket and if cold black stocking hat. I use no urine, scent, attractant other than cow pies I walk through for that reason. My stands are on location and honestly, I don't hunt the wind that often - if I have time to hunt, I hunt. We shoot nice deer every year. Every year. Spending time in the woods will teach you more about deer and patterns and give you more advantage then anything sold.

I should add - I never worry about my urine - I have filmed several nice bucks, coyotes, coons, fox, a bobcat all utilizing my mock scrapes I have made and urinated on myself. Its urine - not some special pheromone trap......

Last edited by TreedaBlackdog; 10/08/19 11:49 AM.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635398
10/08/19 11:49 AM
10/08/19 11:49 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Some guys over here really swear by ozonics an O2 machine thing.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635403
10/08/19 12:06 PM
10/08/19 12:06 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by James
Does anyone find commercial odor eliminators and deer scents to be useful? Do they really cover-up or eliminate human odors?

And what about using a skunk-based trapping lure, like Gusto? Or maybe a castor-based lure, like Backbreaker. Castor is supposed to be an attractant for various kinds of animals.

Jim

You have one over on most of us.You smell like a liberal,,so the deer wont figure you for having a gun.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635407
10/08/19 12:13 PM
10/08/19 12:13 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Best cover scent out there is smoke Old timers use to hang hunting coats by the fire. probably 20 years ago I made smoke cover scent but nobody would buy it

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635465
10/08/19 02:44 PM
10/08/19 02:44 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I heard this years and years ago and believe it to be true:

"You can occasionally trick a Deer's eyes. You can sometimes trick a Deer's ears. But you can never, ever trick a Deer's nose."

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635470
10/08/19 02:59 PM
10/08/19 02:59 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Trump sells some really nice camo clothing.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635472
10/08/19 03:09 PM
10/08/19 03:09 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
I use scent away and spray down if im gonna be hunting in my climber which usually means close quarters stuff. I think it helps but i dont KNOW if it does anything. Its cheap enough that it doesnt hurt anything. I dont bother if im using a blind or box stand. I have tried doe in heat urine and other things like that and never had any luck with em. I do try to pay attention to the wind but where i hunt down here it could change 180 degrees a few times or wont blow at all so i find that to be mostly useless advice. When i hunted in kansas there was usually a steady breeze that wouldnt shift too far so hunting the wind was useful there. Also kansas deer are easier to get close to than alabama deer. In kansas you can climb just high enough you dont kick em in the head when they walk by and never had any problems. Down here i have to climb to the tippy top of a pine tree and shoot the first chance you get a clean shot. Even does walk out looking up in trees and wont come at least in bow range of a blind. Not during daylight anyway. I figure that is just due to pressure, our gun season is long and generous so if you look like a deer someone will shoot at you pretty quick. Heck even after about a week after rifle season the deer get nocturnal anyway.

No matter how you choose to approach deer hunting, sitting on the couch is the only sure way to NOT kill a deer. I would rather hunt a bad wind in dirty clothes after working all day than not go at all. Ive killed plenty dirty, stinky, up wind, not wearing camo. But i also will shoot a doe, in fact i prefer them. But i am not a "sport" hunter. I intend to feed my family. If i wanted to shoot a trophy i would go back to kansas or somewhere, they grow bigger and are easier to kill up there.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: hippie] #6635473
10/08/19 03:12 PM
10/08/19 03:12 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by hippie
Trump sells some really nice camo clothing.

grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635475
10/08/19 03:22 PM
10/08/19 03:22 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Native Americans did a couple of things that have some merit to them. They sat in sweat lodges and smoked their bodies before a hunt. I smoke my clothes and my body with a beehive smoker. There's a science behind the smoke. Meat is smoked to kill bacteria and smoke has a similar effect on the bacteria we produce that produces the noxious odor that repels deer.

There are a lot of guys on a hunting forum I belong to that swear by the smoke and they kill some big deer. I've been doing it for close to twenty years and I do it before every hunt. It works.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635521
10/08/19 05:30 PM
10/08/19 05:30 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
All that stuff catches more hunters than kills deer. Save your money. Play the wind and don't overhunt your spot. Most deer that are fooled are young deer. Once and a while you can fool a nice one if it's the perfect scenario, but rarely does that happen. If it worked so good, you'd see walk hangers in the backs of trucks all the time and on everyone's walls.

No Jab.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6635636
10/08/19 08:52 PM
10/08/19 08:52 PM
Kansas
T
trapperbill Offline
trapper
trapperbill  Offline
trapper
T

Kansas
307 lure on a drag then I hang it .It usually always works for me .Primos scent freak with silver is good for cover scent.Lots of stuff to separate you from your money. I use what I know works for me. Here is a buck I shot today. smile [Linked Image]

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635812
10/09/19 05:34 AM
10/09/19 05:34 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I see there is a typical Tman difference of opinion.lol

I think it's telling that all the outfitters I've talked to so far want their clients to use the scent control products. So far, none have mentioned the active scents like doe in estrus or buck challenge lures. Nor have they talked about smoke or fox urine. These are guys who make their living getting big bucks for their clients.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: Jonesie] #6635816
10/09/19 05:48 AM
10/09/19 05:48 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by Jonesie
Yep, deer scents work. I do seminars and talks on deer scents and cover scents. How to use them, where to use them and why to use them. So, YES, they work, IF the hunter understands HOW to use them, WANTS to use them and knows what the responses from the deer will be. I started making Deer scents back in 1990. And the reason I started to make them was, Get ready for this reason, TO PROVE they didn't work!!!! That's right. LOL I didn't believe in deer scents back then, yet I was making baits and lures for trapping and ADC work LOL Jeff, From JR and sons said to me, (He was just getting started) after a little discussion on the phone one evening, Ron why don't you go prove what you think. Go out and do EVERYTHING you can to make a deer scent, then go and do EVERYTHING you can to make it work. (that last sentence has real meaning if the person thinks about it) He said if you do everything you can to make one, and then make it work and then, if it doesn't work, then you know you did everything you could and you can shout it from the mountain tops deer scents are a hoax and rip off, but if it works then you will have some of the best products on the market. What I learned from that was deer scent do work and how deer scents work and why they work along with when they work. The best method of scent application is dragging and is used the least by the least amount of hunters. The least successful method of application, yet used by most hunters is hanging. I won't do the whys here since I am not doing a seminar LOL The second best method of application and is being used by more hunters every year is mock scraps. I just gave the Mock scrape demo at this past FTA convention in VA. Mock scrapes can be dug in which I prefer or drippers hung which will in time produce the mock scrape as the deer paw the ground. Just like many of our sets that fresh dug dirt and scent results in attractiveness to the fur-bearing animals we target, the same is true with the deer if the scrape is in the right location and WHERE the deer wants to be. Sounds a lot like trapping doesn't it. Cover scents work indeed, but not the way most think they do. Just like many of the old-timer trappers use to use a cover scent also way back in the 70's, but they didn't think of it that way either, They would spray fox urine on the hip boots or leather boots when walking up to the set. Again sounds like deer scent and trapping scent usage have a lot in common. Matter fact my talks are titled using deer scents with a trappers mindset. here is a podcast on mock scrapes some may want to listen to https://www.talkshoe.com/episode/4727243 or https://www.talkshoe.com/show/rednecks-pride-outdoor

Sounds like you've been scientific about your testing, Jonesie. I'm giving your experience, test results, and opinion considerable weight.

For ignorance of better terms, I'm going to label the two types of deer scents I'm aware of: scent suppressors, which eliminate human and other scents, and lures or active scents that are supposed to attract deer. Do you think the second type is of any use in the deer blind? Can deer be drawn toward a certain spot, and if so, from what distance?

I'd like to hear more of your wisdom as to when and where to use what scent, and how to distribute or apply it. I know a moose hunter who sprays himself with moose pee, but I've never been tempted to do the same.

I think I'll try these scent removers on moose. Often when calling them, the bulls will come partway in and circle until they're down wind. Usually they stick to the thick stuff where it's difficult to make out whether their antlers meet the minimum requirement.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635822
10/09/19 06:07 AM
10/09/19 06:07 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
You would think bad guys could use the scent removers to keep police dogs from trailing them, but I'd wager that wont work very well.
Scents albeit cover or "descenting" are big business. If it gives you confidence, spend some of your $ on them and use them.
My old man used to log all day then climb a tree after work, still in his bright blue sweatshirt that stunk like sweat and chainsaw oil/gas mix. Shot a lot of deer with his old recurve. He never owned a quiver...he had two wooden clothes pins taped to face of his bow to hold a couple arrows. Yep, only two arrows, and rarely did he ever get to shoot the second one either. I know it wasnt safe but he kept hunting so simple. He said key was dont move, get up high, and be on right side of the wind. He felt movement and sound got picked up way more frequently than odors by deer.
Skunk and fox pee were sold to a lot of deer hunters over the years as cover scents.
Camo, plastic antlers to bang together, calls, grunts, range finders, little bottles of dust to check the wind, cameras, and the list goes on and on and on and on....geez we buy a lot of crap to hunt with these days.
Going into cabelas or other outdoor shops and the selections are mind boggling for scents and scent removers.
If nothing else it's good to see so much interest in the outdoors and lots of small businesses going that sell the stuff. So, I guess support them if nothing else.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635856
10/09/19 07:12 AM
10/09/19 07:12 AM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

I have had good results with a product called hair raiser from fox hollow. It is available on MTP's website. I saw 307 mentioned above and have had them come in to it many times as well. I dont use doe-n-heat urine anymore because of another thing mentioned above, spooky old does.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: pcr2] #6635884
10/09/19 07:48 AM
10/09/19 07:48 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by pcr2
we have 17 ladder stands so there's always a place to hunt the right wind and no commotion gettin in and out.

Ditto^^^
. same here. if you have your own land. i keep about the same amount and ready for wind, change of the deer patterns and rut.
Ladder stands are so cheap and easily movable to boot!

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: trapperbill] #6635895
10/09/19 08:08 AM
10/09/19 08:08 AM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by trapperbill
307 lure on a drag then I hang it .It usually always works for me .Primos scent freak with silver is good for cover scent.Lots of stuff to separate you from your money. I use what I know works for me. Here is a buck I shot today. smile [Linked Image]

Nice rack, looks like a young deer though. Hard to fool a 4 1/2 and older with scents. Congrats. That's a nice buck.

No Jab.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635904
10/09/19 08:14 AM
10/09/19 08:14 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I don't buy cover scents or scent elimination products. But I do try to keep my body and my hunting clothes clean and relatively free of human odor. I think just keeping my hunting clothes washed regularly to reduce the number of skin cells and hair follicles on it is the best odor reduction effort.

I do believe in the effectiveness of Lip Licker Deer Lure from Hoosier Trapper Supply. It can sometimes bring a nearby deer close enough to get a shot at them. I've had friends who use it say it works very well also. Not a miracle product - but it does attract deer who aren't otherwise more occupied or interested in something else.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635915
10/09/19 08:43 AM
10/09/19 08:43 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline