No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6635974
10/09/19 10:19 AM
10/09/19 10:19 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Types of deer scents? What I think doesn't make it right. Sex, curiosity, territory, aggressive or intimidating, social, calming. We can break them down even more but won't LOL I believe all are attractants and will pull deer into a spot. The exception would be calming, and even a calming agent can and will be attractive in different ways depending on why and how it is used. example Doe non-estrus urine or even young buck non-rut urine can and will calm a slightly nervous deer down when misted. (hard nervous or spooked deer they be gone at the first hint of anything negative). (Note I have seen the same deer come in and spook inside out, to see 2 hours later, it come back in the same spot as if there was nothing wrong. ) Yet that those same products can pull a deer a few feet to the source if applied in concentration to say a felt or pad or freshly dug dirt. Way back in the early 90's I use to make a dog breaking scent that used urine, deer hair, deer duff, and other things for mainly breaking dogs running deer. ( take a positive scent place it on a negative like a rat snap trap and the dog learned to not think of it positive) This product also calmed deer down as long as I didn't use aggressive or dominate buck odors. and would scare the heck out of young buck and doe if I used those odors. Yet those odors created a better dog breaking scent LOL Again back in those days no one believed in the deer calming agents like they do today.

The distance that a good deer scent will pull varies with wind and obstacles, the mood of deer, alertness, and aggressiveness of the deer and or how horny is the deer at that moment LOL

with a steady 5 to 10 mph wind in an open field, the scent will go farther as a concentrated cone, where that same wind inside a woods with the big trees the concentration of the cone will disperse and become weakened. I plan on 30 to 50 yards as a norm but sometimes can reach out farther. We must remember the deer may smell it way out but will it have the amount of pull to entice the deer to investigate and the deer's mindset will control that.

For me, I have found that training the deer that there is a spot where the scent is and creating the desire for the deer to go there, has better results than just throwing the scent out on the wind and let the wind take it to who knows where.

Trying not to go into lecture mode LOL If I am still alive later I will reply with my thoughts on human odor and cover scents LOL that should finish the gallows and put the rope on my neck LOL

Last edited by Jonesie; 10/09/19 10:33 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636023
10/09/19 11:54 AM
10/09/19 11:54 AM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Once in kansas i had a little 3 point come in directly under my climber. He kept milling around and i really wanted him to just move on. I had a pinch of mint skoal so I decided to see if i could spit right on top of his head. Well i kept missing him. When the spit would hit the ground he would jump a bit and look around and then investigate what hit the ground and he started licking up that mint skoal, even to chewing on the fallen leaves it landed on. He kept at that for a good 20 min. It was fun as nothing else was around at the time. SO there might be something to mint smell they are attracted to for sure. I highly doubt a mature buck would have tolerated wads of mint spit falling around his head though. That little buck walked right down the path i walked in on and left directly down wind of me and never smelled me or at least reacted to a scent negatively. I was high as i could be in that tree though. When in doubt I do believe getting as high up as possible will prevent getting busted even in a bad wind. I like to be 20ft or higher if possible. My rope i use to pull up my bow is about 25-30 ft long so i used that as a judge to know when to stop climbing.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636038
10/09/19 12:16 PM
10/09/19 12:16 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I hunt the wind but I do rub sage brush leaves on to my hunting cloths. I also store my hunting cloths in a plastic bag that has sage branches in it for smell.

I beleive it works for me and have seen where in swirling winds in rough country it has made a difference. I don't hunt whitetail but a few times in my life even though I could hunt them all the time if I wanted. The sage might not work for them (whitetail) but elk and mule it does work for me to a degree.

I bow hunt everything so human scent is a big deal and I always use the wind to my advantage.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: trapperbill] #6636064
10/09/19 01:15 PM
10/09/19 01:15 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by trapperbill
307 lure on a drag then I hang it .It usually always works for me .Primos scent freak with silver is good for cover scent.Lots of stuff to separate you from your money. I use what I know works for me. Here is a buck I shot today. smile [Linked Image]

Ok who sees another arrow sticking in the shoulder ??? O r is the arrow just lying on top of it ??????? OOOOHHHHHHHHHH spooky

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636066
10/09/19 01:16 PM
10/09/19 01:16 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Ole timer once said if your hunting deer where cattle are find a good soupy cow pile and splash around in it. Best cover sent you can get......

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: Jonesie] #6636068
10/09/19 01:19 PM
10/09/19 01:19 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Jonesie
Types of deer scents? What I think doesn't make it right. Sex, curiosity, territory, aggressive or intimidating, social, calming. We can break them down even more but won't LOL I believe all are attractants and will pull deer into a spot. The exception would be calming, and even a calming agent can and will be attractive in different ways depending on why and how it is used. example Doe non-estrus urine or even young buck non-rut urine can and will calm a slightly nervous deer down when misted. (hard nervous or spooked deer they be gone at the first hint of anything negative). (Note I have seen the same deer come in and spook inside out, to see 2 hours later, it come back in the same spot as if there was nothing wrong. ) Yet that those same products can pull a deer a few feet to the source if applied in concentration to say a felt or pad or freshly dug dirt. Way back in the early 90's I use to make a dog breaking scent that used urine, deer hair, deer duff, and other things for mainly breaking dogs running deer. ( take a positive scent place it on a negative like a rat snap trap and the dog learned to not think of it positive) This product also calmed deer down as long as I didn't use aggressive or dominate buck odors. and would scare the heck out of young buck and doe if I used those odors. Yet those odors created a better dog breaking scent LOL Again back in those days no one believed in the deer calming agents like they do today.

The distance that a good deer scent will pull varies with wind and obstacles, the mood of deer, alertness, and aggressiveness of the deer and or how horny is the deer at that moment LOL

with a steady 5 to 10 mph wind in an open field, the scent will go farther as a concentrated cone, where that same wind inside a woods with the big trees the concentration of the cone will disperse and become weakened. I plan on 30 to 50 yards as a norm but sometimes can reach out farther. We must remember the deer may smell it way out but will it have the amount of pull to entice the deer to investigate and the deer's mindset will control that.

For me, I have found that training the deer that there is a spot where the scent is and creating the desire for the deer to go there, has better results than just throwing the scent out on the wind and let the wind take it to who knows where.

Trying not to go into lecture mode LOL If I am still alive later I will reply with my thoughts on human odor and cover scents LOL that should finish the gallows and put the rope on my neck LOL

Spoken like a true scent and lure salesman !!!!!!

Best calming agent is a 270 130 gr thru the shoulder. Most if not all are real still in about 30-45 seconds.......

Last edited by jbyrd63; 10/09/19 01:20 PM.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636077
10/09/19 01:27 PM
10/09/19 01:27 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i hunt right across the little river from the local sewer plant.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636116
10/09/19 02:27 PM
10/09/19 02:27 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I listen when Jonesie shares. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done more testing than everyone on this topic put together. Testing not just theorizing based of a few perceived experienced. I see alot of theories based of a few experiences on this site but true testing seems more random with more than deer scents.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: Yes sir] #6636277
10/09/19 07:23 PM
10/09/19 07:23 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I listen when Jonesie shares. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done more testing than everyone on this topic put together. Testing not just theorizing based of a few perceived experienced. I see alot of theories based of a few experiences on this site but true testing seems more random with more than deer scents.

Huntingbeast.com. Dan Infalt uses no scents or covers. Has shot many Pope & Young class deer on high pressured public land. Many of the subscribers are the same and shoot nice deer year after year. Read the threads, watch his videos (the ones he's sells are cheap and priceless) Proof is in the results.

Last edited by Sprung&Rusty; 10/09/19 07:24 PM.

No Jab.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636298
10/09/19 07:57 PM
10/09/19 07:57 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
I use the scent killing laundry detergent to get rid of odors in the washing machine. Hang clothes to dry outside and between hunts. Tinks doe in heat during rut has been popular at our camp. Probably sitting still in the tree is more important than anything......

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: The Possum Man] #6636408
10/09/19 10:35 PM
10/09/19 10:35 PM
Virginia
52Carl Online content
trapper
52Carl  Online Content
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by The Possum Man
Once in kansas i had a little 3 point come in directly under my climber. He kept milling around and i really wanted him to just move on. I had a pinch of mint skoal so I decided to see if i could spit right on top of his head. Well i kept missing him. When the spit would hit the ground he would jump a bit and look around and then investigate what hit the ground and he started licking up that mint skoal, even to chewing on the fallen leaves it landed on. He kept at that for a good 20 min. It was fun as nothing else was around at the time. SO there might be something to mint smell they are attracted to for sure. I highly doubt a mature buck would have tolerated wads of mint spit falling around his head though. That little buck walked right down the path i walked in on and left directly down wind of me and never smelled me or at least reacted to a scent negatively. I was high as i could be in that tree though. When in doubt I do believe getting as high up as possible will prevent getting busted even in a bad wind. I like to be 20ft or higher if possible. My rope i use to pull up my bow is about 25-30 ft long so i used that as a judge to know when to stop climbing.

Would a pile of vomit with a slight tinge of mint Skoal mixed in work? I chew Red Man, but Skoal does me in. I do know that squirrels will girdle the limbs everywhere I spit Red Man.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636418
10/09/19 10:46 PM
10/09/19 10:46 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
LOL I think the noise of you puking your guts up from the top of a tree just might ruin the hunt by itself. Need to man up and swaller that baccer spit like a man. Keeps you from getting worms and all. Im a copenhagen long cut straight man after trying quite a bit of it all. My spit bottle is just for spitting out the dip when im done. Juice gets swallered. LOL sissies!!!

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636594
10/10/19 08:48 AM
10/10/19 08:48 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Lot of guys used to hang their hunting coat out in the cow barn.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: The Possum Man] #6636610
10/10/19 09:12 AM
10/10/19 09:12 AM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
Me and 5 other guys hunt in Illinois together and I'm the only one the dips( Copenhagen) and seems I get winded less than anyone. They are convinced it's the Copenhagen. Lol

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636625
10/10/19 09:30 AM
10/10/19 09:30 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
A couple primo cigars, a good book, and I'm good to sit in a blind all day.

When I hear antlers scraping in the brush, I'll put the book away and jump into hunting mode.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636667
10/10/19 10:36 AM
10/10/19 10:36 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Hunt the wind. If the wind is with you then none of the other stuff matter.

I always sit on the ground for several reasons.
Once while sitting on the edge of a farm field with the wind blowing from me out into the field I had a doe and 2 fawns walking across the field. As soon as they hit direct downwind of me the Doe stopped. whipped her head right at me, snorted and took off with her fawns the way she came.
About 15 minutes later they were back, same thing happened except this time she looked in my direction and turned around and just walked back to where she came and the fawns reluctantly followed.
A while later they came back again, this time when they hit my scent, they just trotted straight ahead and ignored my scent.
Must of really wanted to get where they were headed. Maybe it wasn't the same 3 deer either, couldn't really say for sure. At any rate I saw 3 different reactions 3 different times to my scent.

I hunted with a guy who would build a decent sized fire in the woods while hunting.
You'd think all the noise of the fire, the movement of the flames and the smoke would have a negative effect on the deer. Not to mention his occasional movements to tend the fire.
Over several years period that I hunted with him he shot more deer than the rest of us.
It gave him something to do and kept him warm so he could stay in the woods longer than the rest of us, maybe that's why he shot more deer, or maybe it was the fire who knows.
He claimed that almost all the deer he shot were all standing looking right at him and the fire.
Maybe the smoke covered his scent, maybe the deer are curious about fire.
I don't know, it worked for him.

I think that deer that are in areas where there is frequent human activity get used to it.
The scent of humans doesn't bother them as much as one that rarely run across humans.

I run across deer all the time when I'm working in the woods. Usually I see them while I'm moving around on a tractor. Deer have no fear of a man on a tractor in my woods. I usually stop or slow down when I see them.
Then I just watch them for awhile. I have stopped and turned off the tractor and gotten off the tractor and waved my arms and yelled at them and they still would stand staring at me for a while before they'd take off. If I just stay on the tractor they will avoid the tractor but they won't run from it. Maybe the diesel exhaust covers my smell.

I know a farmer that keeps a gun in his tractor during the season. He says you'd be surprised how close you can get to deer while harvesting corn. They aren't afraid of the machinery.

I know of a woman that feeds the deer. They come running when she walks out of the house. She can touch them. These are wild deer in areas that they are frequently hunted.
My buddy put on her coat and hat and went out to feed the deer to see if they'd come out. He was approx. the same size and with the hat and the coat he shuffled along like she does. Yet no deer came out till he went inside the house. I'm convinced that deer can tell one human from another.
Maybe they also use scent to tell one from another.

Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6636682
10/10/19 11:04 AM
10/10/19 11:04 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Huntingbeast.com. Dan Infalt uses no scents or covers. Has shot many Pope & Young class deer on high pressured public land. Many of the subscribers are the same and shoot nice deer year after year. Read the threads, watch his videos (the ones he's sells are cheap and priceless) Proof is in the results.

I could kill deer buck naked rolled in diesel fuel and probably even a respectable buck if I hunted hard enough but that doesn't make it the best, easiest or my chosen way to do it. How I hunt pressured deer is also different than how I hunt deer that dont know they are being hunted.

Last edited by Yes sir; 10/10/19 11:48 AM.
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636753
10/10/19 01:34 PM
10/10/19 01:34 PM
uniontown pa
G
gutthooked Offline
trapper
gutthooked  Offline
trapper
G

uniontown pa
No scents is the best sense.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: gutthooked] #6636756
10/10/19 01:45 PM
10/10/19 01:45 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Originally Posted by gutthooked
No scents is the best sense.

Goes the same for trapping also right

Last edited by Jonesie; 10/10/19 01:49 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Scents for deer hunting [Re: James] #6636765
10/10/19 02:06 PM
10/10/19 02:06 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I wish deer didnt response to scent, it would make trapping around them a lot easier.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread