No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Imperial folding fishing knife repair #6636792
10/10/19 03:01 PM
10/10/19 03:01 PM
Southeast, AK
R
rosscoak Offline OP
trapper
rosscoak  Offline OP
trapper
R

Southeast, AK
I recently broke the knife blade on my grandpa's old Imperial folding fishing knife. This is the one that has the fish symbol on the white handle as well as a scalar and hook removing tool. The blade broke about 1/2 inch above the folding section. Is there any way to fix that or is it just a waste of time. A little bit of value to me as it was my grandfather's and is a really good skinning knife. Does anyone do knife repair

Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6636844
10/10/19 04:31 PM
10/10/19 04:31 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I would say it's going to be expensive unless you are a really good metal worker.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6636883
10/10/19 05:35 PM
10/10/19 05:35 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
your best option would probably to find another like it and borrow the blade from the other knife

can you post a picture of it ?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6636884
10/10/19 05:36 PM
10/10/19 05:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if you end up doing the job yourself buy a blade as close to the right size shape and color as you can find. Dremel tool, file, hacksaw it, into a replica. remove the old one by drilling out the rivet. replace the rivet with brass rod. drill the holes in the handle the exact size of the rod. drill the holes in the blade (don't get it hot go slow) the scaler and the hook remover a 64th bigger. cut a piece of brass rod and put it all together. bevel one end of the pin you cut so it will start and go through the handle. you will need to lightly tap it. cut that brass pin about an 1/8 of an inch long on each side. put it on an anvil or vise and give it a good smack with a hammer. turn it over and smack the other side. handle should be nice and tight and the blade scaler and hook remover should move just fine. carefully file the pin down flush. use a fine file when you get close and clean it up with fine grit sand paper. you can polish it with your Dremel tool.

a good welder can likely weld it. will be as much work to grind down temper and polish after the repair as putting a new blade in.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6636891
10/10/19 05:54 PM
10/10/19 05:54 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
There's a guy by the name of Mike Spors, I think in Janesville, WI. He and I have done a lot of gun shows together and he has the best assortment of folding knives that he has repaired and\or has for sale. If anyone can fix it for you, he can. He is a great guy and I would not be surprised if he may have a "donor knife" with the same blade you need. He really knows knives.

I used to have his business card but I will be danged if I can find it. Will keep on looking but you might be able to contact him faster by yourself. I know he's on LinkedIn.

Good luck!

Moosetrot

Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6636947
10/10/19 06:56 PM
10/10/19 06:56 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Google "Imperial Schrade knives", maybe they can restore it, or buy one from E-bay and use it for parts.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6637225
10/11/19 03:51 AM
10/11/19 03:51 AM
Southeast, AK
R
rosscoak Offline OP
trapper
rosscoak  Offline OP
trapper
R

Southeast, AK
I broke it while breaking down a 61 inch bull moose near Delta in September.
Lord only knows how many fish and critters that knife has seen. I know Grandpa used it on the headwaters of the Salmon river near Stanley, Id and it has cleaned a salmon or 2 from that drainage.
Looks like you have to pop the covers on the ends to get at the pins. I found one on ebay for cheap and may try a blade swap out.

[Linked Image]

Re: Imperial folding fishing knife repair [Re: rosscoak] #6637257
10/11/19 06:29 AM
10/11/19 06:29 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
I have been collecting those style knifes for a few years now, along with other vintage fishing gear. I have dozens of those to go with my Zebco 33 Reel collection. E Bay has quite a selection, many with similar blade patina. A patient handyman can fix it, take your time and think through each move it won't be that hard. I have several still in original boxes, many were embossed with company logos to be given as gifts. Some have a form fitting leather sheath. Old Coleman lanterns are another weak spot for my "got to have it" disease.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread