No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6639370
10/14/19 09:46 AM
10/14/19 09:46 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Here is the IGoTrapping app … it only works with Apple …. as I understand it.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/igotrapping/id667974944

Just found this that is supposed to work with Android ….

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eisordevelopment.gotrapping&hl=en_US

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 10/14/19 09:48 AM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6639375
10/14/19 09:55 AM
10/14/19 09:55 AM
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
I cashed in some Cabelas points this spring and bought the Garmin 64st, haven’t used it yet but I played around with Marks at the academy and really liked it. I need to get it out and play with it before season gets here

Re: GPS? [Re: Michael Lippold] #6639384
10/14/19 10:03 AM
10/14/19 10:03 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
I cashed in some Cabelas points this spring and bought the Garmin 64st, haven’t used it yet but I played around with Marks at the academy and really liked it. I need to get it out and play with it before season gets here

They're cheaper now too because the new model came out, in June I think. Cabela's had them on sale, I missed it.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6639617
10/14/19 06:24 PM
10/14/19 06:24 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline OP
The Count
~ADC~  Offline OP
The Count

Iowa
Well, I've been looking into them, I'm now more confused than before I started. lol I think I'll hold out and hope someone near here has one that works for them and they will show me how to use it. crazy

Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6639624
10/14/19 06:31 PM
10/14/19 06:31 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Yep, they'll put a pretzel in your head. Good luck this season! grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: GPS? [Re: ] #6639643
10/14/19 07:10 PM
10/14/19 07:10 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Mark June
I don't leave home without the Garmin 64st. Tough booger and you need that with what we do ADC!
The cheap ones die young.

Having relied on “cheaper” GPS unit everyday to make a living for the better than a decade I can assure you that is not the case. Over the course of 13 years I used 2 different eTrex units. They are a 1 button proposition for marking a location although you do have to press the button twice. Oh the humanity!

I doubt very much that the more expensive consumer grade GPS units have receivers that are any better than what comes in the eTrex. You simply pay for more bells and whistles that most people will never use. That might mean a bigger screen, touch screen or the like but the features of the unit’s software will not likely serve you any better.

Clark

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6639680
10/14/19 07:59 PM
10/14/19 07:59 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Your etrex must be different than mine. Once I fire it up, I have to page through 4 pages to get to the two mark pushing on the Menu page. Sure if I hang out on the Menu page then it is only two button push. Since the buttons are hard to read on the side, I hope I push Page and not Enter.

I much preferred the GPS 45 with the mark button.

Who is John Galt?
Re: GPS? [Re: Michael Lippold] #6640097
10/15/19 07:25 AM
10/15/19 07:25 AM
West Virginia
A
AppalachianTrapr Offline
trapper
AppalachianTrapr  Offline
trapper
A

West Virginia
Originally Posted by Michael Lippold

You’re gonna like it. If you’re ever on Amazon, pick up some screen protectors for them. I got a 2 pack a long time ago. Still on my first one. I think it was $9 or $10 for the pair.

ADC, these things are personal preference, really. I really like mine. I spent some time playing with it then went on the trapline with it. Never said a word about it, forget I had it and realized my wife was running it the whole time we were making sets. So it’s pretty straight forward, I haven’t come across anything yet on it that really through me off. I would buy the 64st again simply because the maps were already loaded. I did try the Garmin version of satellite imagery on it and was NOT a fan. Just me though. Whatever you do, I would suggest buttons rather than touchscreen. Unless a lot has changed, they are not the same responsive screen as a modern smartphone.

Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6640161
10/15/19 08:53 AM
10/15/19 08:53 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I utilized the Garmin Etrex when I put out about 350 gypsy moth traps in 4 counties. That said - I still prefer the old notebook and pencil.....I really like the Gazeteer Atlas that shows all the creeks and land types for each state with all the county roads. I just mark in the atlas and keep driving. A good Write in Rain notebook and pencil is what I tend to keep going back to.

Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6640494
10/15/19 05:57 PM
10/15/19 05:57 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I have an Etrex- we leave it mounted in the duck boat on a ram mount, I use a Garmin 64st that is synced with my Garmin Sounder fish locator- that way I can ice fish cribs and structure with the handheld. Both are great units, the Etrex is low tech but good for tracks and way points. I loaded the onX Hunt app- I haven't took my GPS bowhunting since and plan to use it for trap locations and notes.

Re: GPS? [Re: ~ADC~] #6640819
10/16/19 06:55 AM
10/16/19 06:55 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

ADC,

As you can see friend from these comments, there are varied options on what everyone prefers... and as is usually the case, how/what/where/when you'll use it is part of the equation as far as what you may need - and we're all different. Variances include how long you use it, how many sets you'll tend, how's the weather, do you house it or keep it out in your truck or pocket (mine goes in my side pants pocket so everywhere I walk is tracked... and many other subtle but obviously important criteria.

I've tried Montana's and it's ok as far as a bit more expensive units but it died young and I've tried a half dozen less expensive units, some given to me as gifts. ADC I know you are a go-getter, so you will probably appreciate those GPS mentioned here that hold up over time and don't bog when you use them day after day.

I run upwards of 200-250 traps and snares sometimes here in TX on a good size ranch, so pen and paper (my preferred method) is out the window. That's too much doodling. So, the next best thing is fast, dependable easy and quick to operate GPS. When I grab my GPS, I want it looking at me in the buggy or truck, able to slide around and get whacked an awful lot and keep on ticking, and then bing-bang... I input with a couple buttons. If you run a few traps, no big deal. Run a lot of traps or mark often, and every second counts. You run a bunch of traps so you realize this friend. In fact, to save time, I usually do some of my phone and GPS work while standing on coyotes to kill them (time efficiency).
"Hi mom", "Whatcha doing son, killing a coyote?" "yes mom".

You may be OK with tech that is a whole lot less expensive and if that's the case, sweet. I've found that the weather conditions when I ride on a UTV every day is too harsh for the cheaper units and they die young. I won't mention brands I don't like, just that I use the Garmin 64st. Tough son-a-gun that has been dropped, kicked, run over, and only once did it not like any of that. I'm on my second unit in ten years. Worth every penny the way I use it!

Plus I LOVE the topo maps that come on it. They are crazy helpful for me to drill down with my Google earth maps and pinpoint funnel points, land features, etc. I download what I need to file and SWEET I have the ranch or ground laid out it Google earth fashion. It's called BirdsEye and it's marvelous to use on a trapline brother.

Happy shopping!
Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread