No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Finster] #6643596
10/19/19 07:11 PM
10/19/19 07:11 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Stay with your kid. Teach them to stand up for themselves. Drag them to the confrontation if you have to. I am not talking violence. When your young , you need to learn how to deal with bullies, life in general. There are bullies all thru our life time. I agree with Keith on this one. Young people can't deal with life. They get over whelmed over small stuff. I am speaking from experience. Bottom line if someone wants to truly kill themselves they will. I just think society looks for answer thru medication and govt to much

Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6643606
10/19/19 07:26 PM
10/19/19 07:26 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
It’s sad. What is worse, it will be laid at the feet of society and the real responsibility will never be acknowledged.

Good Point!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Finster] #6643625
10/19/19 07:57 PM
10/19/19 07:57 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
You can only be bullied or intimidated if YOU allow yourself to be. I grew up in a different era. I am 77 years old. Married to the same woman for 56 years, had two daughter that both went to collage. Got a SS card at 16 years old. Worked all my life. Some of the changes that I have seen is, the brake down of the family structure, the respect for life, to much gov. in our school, the news media and how they influence our live. Along with lack of wisdom to learn from the past, and so many young people (and young adults) not knowing who they are sexually. Being rewarded for doing nothing, remember everyone is a winner. Did you know 55-60% of all gun violence crimes are suicides. Our school is a class D school. This year K-12 266 kids, Village 845. A young boy hung himself last year. If it can happen in this little town it can happen any place. Also had a brother that committed suicide.

Last edited by Getting There; 10/19/19 07:59 PM.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: KeithC] #6643951
10/20/19 08:53 AM
10/20/19 08:53 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Originally Posted by KeithC
I think the biggest cause of the increased suicide rate is that people have a decreased activity level, compared to the past. People are made to use both their mind and body.

Keith

An idle mind is the devils workshop. Lots of truth in that saying. And we have lots of idle minds with easy access to sick minds.

Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Finster] #6644022
10/20/19 10:30 AM
10/20/19 10:30 AM
Central Texas - Erath- Real Co...
Ol' Smoke Offline
trapper
Ol' Smoke  Offline
trapper

Central Texas - Erath- Real Co...
Main-stream media and half the politicians preach gloomanddoom 24\7.
12yrs left to save the world b.s.

---- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE----Bye, Bye Miss American Pie----
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Finster] #6644056
10/20/19 11:13 AM
10/20/19 11:13 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Another thing that dosent help is half the time when I kid who's a having these thoughts actually tells somone instead of somone who actually listens and tries to help they get a bunch of : well back in my day or you don't know what your talking about or you need to toughen up.

Little Johnny is just looking for attention till he kills him self then it's a tragedy and no one had any idea he had these kinda thoughts.

Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Catch22] #6644064
10/20/19 11:23 AM
10/20/19 11:23 AM
Va
O
Owen156 Offline
trapper
Owen156  Offline
trapper
O

Va
You are exactly right, spot on. This age group is also responsible for the most school shootings. Now people have finally woke up and parents are finally turning in their sick kids that are planning shooting/bombings and each week on the news you see kids locked up when in the planning stages.
Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by Getting There
So sad, there are so many factor that lead up to suicide. Our society has been loosing respect for life for some time so this is one of the factors in the older group. Communication is another along with bulling is school. But I am sure these factor are all added in.
I would like to see the % go down but it took a long time to get here and it will take a long time to change. JMO

Bullying is not new, what is new'ish about it is how Academia and parents choose to handle it with their kids. Used to be ya had a bully and the parents said either keep giving him your lunch money or sock'em in the nose. Now it's treated 10 levels beyond normal drama. Academia and a lot of parents nowadays are churning out kids that don't know what the heck to do, in any situation, and thus the result is not good. They've taken God away, (whether you believe or not, still a good foundation) self achievement (participation trophies), free speech is out the window, free will is as well. Kids can't say what's on their mind without thinking first, is it ok, will it hurt this person or that. Kids can't make a pow pow with their hands, can't play Cowboys and Indians, heck no, it's not allowed at all except maybe as livestock management personnel and indigenous peoples. The correlation between this and how all of of us above the age of 50 used to take guns to school and have them in our vehicles at school, and yet there were never any school shootings, is what really needs examined.

You are exactly right, spot on. This age group is also responsible for the most school shootings. Now people have finally woke up and parents are finally turning in their sick kids that are planning shooting/bombings and each week on the news you see kids locked up when in the planning stages.

Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Ol' Smoke] #6644096
10/20/19 12:11 PM
10/20/19 12:11 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Ol' Smoke
Main-stream media and half the politicians preach gloomanddoom 24\7.
12yrs left to save the world b.s.

We better get busy wink LOL

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Finster] #6644151
10/20/19 01:22 PM
10/20/19 01:22 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The structure of the family taught you more then you will ever know it shaped you for your future in life, you said/did the wrong thing the lesson started on the spot. You learned to read the room as a early age. If you struggled you talked about it with friends and family and got advice on how to deal with it.

Today many kids are never told they are wrong and are paid off with electronics and new vehicle to make up for the lack of parenting efforts, its a "Me Me" world today because that all many kids know. I see kids today driving new trucks that never had a job and the truck is tricked out to the max who paid for that?

My 4 and 5 year old Grandkids have tablets of their own. I hear their parents asking them for permission all the time rather then giving them simple directions on what need to be done.

Kids are taught they will always get their own way and are not taught how to deal with rejection and failure in life no matter how temporary it might be.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Youth Suicide Rate Up 56% in Decade [Re: Catch22] #6644228
10/20/19 03:33 PM
10/20/19 03:33 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Catch22
Bulling is only a "factor" because the nutburgers allowed it to be. Not sure how old you are but in my day, you either socked him in the face or tried hard to covertly remain off his radar. Remember the geeks, AV kids, the ones that were afraid to scrap in school, but went on to have successful lives? Being cut from teams and such bummed them out for a few days but they got over it and joined the debate team, or chess club etc, and were happy. The point is, there is a place for all, they need the freedom to find it.

In our day we had those choices... Especially staying off the radar. Once you were home or amongst friends you were pretty much safe or left alone.

Not so now.

Bullies can constantly pick on their favorite victims through cyberspace and everyone gets to witness the humiliation.

Add government sanctioned lack of respect for life, a lack of authority or respect for it, some antidepressants, inattentive/non-existent parents, 24/7 news of doom/gloom/vitriol and you have a pretty decent recipe for someone to snap.

And when they've finally had enough they'll choose to end their own pain... And some choose to take as many with them as they can.

We've made this bed and now were lying in it.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread