No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646411
10/22/19 09:55 PM
10/22/19 09:55 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline OP
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline OP
trapper

carolina, Alabama
I think what im gonna try first is a new dozen gold tip shafts. Playing with the spine calculator i can go to a 600 spine leave the shaft about 30" long and keep using all the 125gr points and broadheads I already have. I found a dozen for about 70 bucks shipped, I have feathers and all that already to fix em up. I do think im going to switch from 5" feathers to 4". This bow seems to have a low brace height or at least its measured differently, my 5" feathers almost contact the shelf when nocked, so that is a problem.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646414
10/22/19 09:57 PM
10/22/19 09:57 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
R
Robert Bluhm Offline
trapper
Robert Bluhm  Offline
trapper
R

Idaho Falls, ID
Possum, you can get carbon or aluminum arrows in very low spines. Big Jim's has a very good carbon shaft called dark timber that go down as low as 800 spine. I don't think you would have to go that low. One thing is always start with arrows long and keep cutting them back until you get perfect arrow flight. I like about an inch to the back of the head at full draw but that doesn't always happen with the mongrel assortment of arrows I have. When hunting small game and stumping I have wood, carbon, glass, and aluminum shafts in the quiver from 27 1/2 to 30 inches and points from 100 to 160 grains. All of them shoot well. Form consistancy is the most important thing you can have! Without it you willl not be able to get tuned adequately. Wish you were closer as i have enough different spines we could get you going right. A little bit of advice, Never Never shoot wood shafts! You will fall in love with them and it is like trap collecting or any other life threatening illness as you will have to get a crestor, dip tubes, fletcher, and all kinds of feathers as well as shafts and other tidbits. You will end up with countless arrows all over the place. Sorry so long winded. If you have any questions feel free to pm. Check out The Leather Wall and tradgang.com. Those guys give a lot of good advice.
Bob

Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646424
10/22/19 10:04 PM
10/22/19 10:04 PM
mississippi, Stewart
Eric Yeatman Offline
trapper
Eric Yeatman  Offline
trapper

mississippi, Stewart
That bare shafting can cause some serious pains

And now that I’m thinking about it the set up you have shouldn’t be stiff. Are you left handed or right handed

Want to buy Fur Harvesting and Predator Control by Roy Kuykendal
Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646432
10/22/19 10:16 PM
10/22/19 10:16 PM
carolina, Alabama
trapper
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Im right handed draw length a touch short of 28". I have been reading through a few old posts on some archery sites and it seems with this 45lb bow i should probably been in the 600 spine area anyway especially since i want to keep my broadheads in the easier to find weight range (around 125). The 3 rivers dynamic spine calculator is pretty handy at selling more arrows at least. We will see if its right. Im gonna start with these new shafts and work a few up or cut a few down a little at a time until i get them shooting straight then i will finish about half of them and practice for a while and see if they stay flying straight before i work up the rest. Im confident that the arrows i have have some serious issues with too stiff of a spine. So without going to a 250gr point there is no way to get them right.

Last edited by The Possum Man; 10/22/19 10:18 PM.

Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646438
10/22/19 10:23 PM
10/22/19 10:23 PM
mississippi, Stewart
Eric Yeatman Offline
trapper
Eric Yeatman  Offline
trapper

mississippi, Stewart
Sounds like a good plan. I would only cut one at a time though and when you are bare shafting you want it a little weak when you stop trimming the shaft so when you fletch it it will stiffen it some and be just right

Want to buy Fur Harvesting and Predator Control by Roy Kuykendal
Re: tuning arrows from a recurve [Re: The Possum Man] #6646456
10/22/19 10:57 PM
10/22/19 10:57 PM
carolina, Alabama
trapper
trapper

carolina, Alabama
upon some further searching through old posts on archery sites, seems lots of people shooting similar bows were having the same trouble i am. They all went the same direction with the 600 spine carbon arrows and left them a little long. This is all backwards from the way i would match an arrow to my compound. Seems even string material effects the spine needed in an arrow for a recurve. im shooting with a standard dacron string. Lots of people all agree the recurve arrow charts all usually end up being too stiff. I measured the center cut of my shelf and apparently that tiny measurement makes a huge difference in arrow selection. So I hope im heading down the right path. Back when i was shooting my old bow i was having alot of the same problems but i dont think i recognized them and just figured i was a poor shot. It brings me back to the one time i got to take a few shots with a nice bear bow with proper arrows and suddenly i could hit what i was aiming at. I just figured it was because that was a high dollar bow and mine was cheap.

Well if these arrows make it by friday i should have a better idea of what im working with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread