No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650087
10/27/19 02:12 AM
10/27/19 02:12 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by James

But I also think it's pretty clear that driving is the most dangerous way to hunt game.

Jim

Of that I have no doubt. But it doesn't mean it's unsafe, there is a difference

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650206
10/27/19 08:23 AM
10/27/19 08:23 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I've been involved in deer drives for 50+ years. The groups I've hunted with have never had an incident nor a close one. That can't be said for drives I've observed that came close to us or through us.

The drives I was involved with in the 60s as a kid were well planned and executed. The older fellas made sure all were aware of everyone's position and how/where it would conclude. That was how my young mind perceived things. The drives in the 80s and 90s were without these older fellas,and it appeared to me to be a bit less organized and perhaps more reckless.

The drives I've observed in the last twenty years are much different now. The "older" fellas are about done. And the younger fellas are not too keen on pushing deer for standers. There are exceptions to this,but that's the general rule. That and it's "too much work."

Example: I've hunted public river bottoms more or less in the same area since mid-80s. During the 80s and 90s there would be, on average, three different drives through the swamp on Saturday and two on Sunday. 2000 forward there would be two on Saturday, and one before the Packer game on Sunday. Good times for a tree stander. Deer moved all day and success rates for this boy were high.

About 2006 or so the river drives changed dramatically. One drive Saturday and none on Sunday. The younger guys were done slugging through the swamp. The older fellas either found the couch or the bar stool. Our group started smaller drives. Deer movement mostly ceased except during these minidrives.

Today it's a rare event, in this same area, to observe a drive by others outside our group. Too much work I suppose. I've changed my tactics and am successful but deer movement is definitely different with the big drives gone.

Again, this is public river bottoms, accessed only by boat. I'm sure up in more easily accessed areas the story may be different, but for the swamp this is the way I see it.

I still enjoy participating in drives. The pace is much slower, to the point where it becomes more of a still hunt towards a couple of standers versus a march in the same direction.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

[Linked Image]

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650263
10/27/19 09:10 AM
10/27/19 09:10 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Muskrat X2

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650342
10/27/19 10:40 AM
10/27/19 10:40 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
A loaded gun can be placed on a table .As long as the gun does not get knocked off of that table or no one picks it up it will never hurt anyone .Of course driving deer could result in an injury to another hunter .But a stand hunter could drop his gun and if it went off it might hit someone .You could be walking with a friend trip over a small branch and shot some one else .It is important to plan a drive in a manner that takes into account where the others are at .Most of the time if we are driving deer the drivers do not shoot .And if they know they have pushed a deer they stop where they are and wait for a few minutes .Also standers must be aware of the terrain and only fire at deer that will not result in the standers shooting in the direction of the drivers .In my younger years someone that was a friend of a friend that I hunted with told me MY TALKING ABOUT SAFETY MADE HIM UNCOMFORTABLE .I was uncomfortable with that concept and decided to not hunt with him .Safety is everyone first priority . If that is not the case than any type of use of a firearm is dangerous

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650450
10/27/19 01:02 PM
10/27/19 01:02 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Driven hunts for deer and boar are the norm here in Europe. I'm the only guy in my valley who hunts alone.

Every year in France there are a few deaths and injuries on these driven hunts, but given the number of them it is still a rarity.

I agree that terrain is a huge difference. On flat ground you have a clear sense of the safe shooting direction but around me in the mountains it is not the same thing. Around me there has never been an accident in 50 years or more.

Pete

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650452
10/27/19 01:03 PM
10/27/19 01:03 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
just James Pete,he was bored

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650459
10/27/19 01:13 PM
10/27/19 01:13 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
I took part in some deer drives as a young hunter. In the hills of PA a person would have to be negligent beyond hope to mistake an orange clad hunter for a deer.
Hunting driven deer holds no appeal for me now,, but I do sometimes take a walk around our hill to try to get a deer to pass by one of my sons.

In PA I believe as many hunters have been shot during turkey seasons as any other.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650564
10/27/19 03:57 PM
10/27/19 03:57 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I’ve been hunting over fifty years and only know two people that were involved in hunting related incidents.
James (no relation to the OP) was shot in the leg with a high powered rifle by a man that swore he saw a deer.
Problem was James was sitting on a rock with his brother, both he and his brother were wearing hunter orange
in compliance with state law!
The other incident involved a man I worked with in Montana. Charly had a HORSE that he was riding shot out from under him. Charly was wearing orange, again for compliance with state law. His horse was wearing orange
in the form of orange surveyors ribbon tied in mane and tail and an orange saddle blanket. The shooter in both
incidents were non residents from east of the big river.
I have some friends that I would feel totally fine in a “drive “ either as a poster or driver. We sometimes do small pushes where the “driver” is actually still hunting a small patch of timber while the stander is watching the escape routes.
Bottom line is like most grown up activities, it is only as safe as the participants.
All the stats I’ve read, turkey hunters are more likely to be shot by another hunter by a wide margin.
James your profession should have proven to you that “ya can’t fix stupid”. It does tend to cull itself though.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650569
10/27/19 04:02 PM
10/27/19 04:02 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Jim, how many people have you known that died or were injured in small airplane crashes in Alaska? Don't get in one. Ever.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650891
10/27/19 10:01 PM
10/27/19 10:01 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
nothing wrong with a good well orchestrated deer drive. if you got dufus mcrufusses in you group maybe its not a good idea... outfitters don't do drives because they don't wanna pressure their ground and run the deer off it, that's kinda just common sense. I got news for you, all the big bucks you see shot in iowa on the outhouse channel aint how most deer get killed in iowa, most of them get shot on drives cause you can party hunt.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: DelawareRob] #6650902
10/27/19 10:13 PM
10/27/19 10:13 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Agreed, but it is still legal here so I say it should be permitted. I personally don’t encourage it though. We use it here for some managed hunts and I think it is unsafe so I don’t participate.

Oh boo hoo, dang Rob!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650918
10/27/19 10:31 PM
10/27/19 10:31 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
I have hunted all my life by driving deer and bear, even during archery season. Is it any different than just walking quietly into your stand on public land towards another hunter you don't know is there? He doesn't know you are walking towards him till he sees orange if u are required to wear it.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: Dirt] #6650922
10/27/19 10:32 PM
10/27/19 10:32 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by Dirt
Jim, how many people have you known that died or were injured in small airplane crashes in Alaska? Don't get in one. Ever.

Is that how you hunt, Dirt? By driving?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650926
10/27/19 10:36 PM
10/27/19 10:36 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Have been on 100, s of drives. Both gun n bow.
Can't say I've ever been on one where things went bad.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6650974
10/27/19 11:21 PM
10/27/19 11:21 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Dirt

Is that how you hunt, Dirt? By driving?

Jim

Just on Montague and the son and I drove deer to each other. If I could fit seven or eight guys in my boat, we would run bigger ones. Could you answer my question? I thought the subject was safety?

BTW don't take a boat out there Jim, it is unsafe. You could hit a whale.

Last edited by Dirt; 10/28/19 12:10 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651028
10/28/19 01:54 AM
10/28/19 01:54 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Haven't hunted Montague, just Kodiak, Afognak, and Raspberry. In those islands, the hunting pressure is low enough that you can still-hunt the deer; you can usually shoot them while they stand looking at you. Montague may get more pressure though.

Would you pick seven or eight random guys, guys you didn't know, to drive-hunt with your son?

You know I do fly in planes and ride in boats. But if teleportation was a safer option, I'd teleport.

Jim

Last edited by James; 10/28/19 02:04 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651037
10/28/19 02:25 AM
10/28/19 02:25 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Wow, I had no idea driving deer was this popular. I find myself once again in the minority, at least among the outspoken.

And yes, I know they commonly drive deer and boar in Europe, but over there they have peons to do the driving.

Because of my own experience of once having seen a driver almost killed, I can't bring myself to agree that driving is a safe way to hunt. When I try visualize a safe way to drive deer, I always arrive at unsafe firing solutions. Yeah, there is blaze orange, but a bullet will travel farther than you can see in many situations.

I wish someone could do a diagram of a safe drive for me. Some things are better conveyed in images than words.

Aside from safety, I wonder if it's as rewarding to shoot a driven deer. Don't you have to share the credit and glory--let alone the meat--with ten or twenty other guys?

I suppose the camaraderie of a group hunt is a thing to put on the plus side of driving. But driving isn't the only way to group hunt.

My own favorite ways of hunting are still-hunting, spot-and-stalk, and calling. I will sit in a blind for hours if I have to, but it ain't my favorite.

The one thing I remain convinced of is that if I ever find myself on a deer drive, I'd rather be a gunner than a driver!

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: Muskrat] #6651094
10/28/19 07:02 AM
10/28/19 07:02 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Muskrat

[Linked Image]

Love the camp man! Where and when was this?

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651326
10/28/19 12:15 PM
10/28/19 12:15 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Wow, I had no idea driving deer was this popular. I find myself once again in the minority, at least among the outspoken.

And yes, I know they commonly drive deer and boar in Europe, but over there they have peons to do the driving.

Because of my own experience of once having seen a driver almost killed, I can't bring myself to agree that driving is a safe way to hunt. When I try visualize a safe way to drive deer, I always arrive at unsafe firing solutions. Yeah, there is blaze orange, but a bullet will travel farther than you can see in many situations.

I wish someone could do a diagram of a safe drive for me. Some things are better conveyed in images than words.

Aside from safety, I wonder if it's as rewarding to shoot a driven deer. Don't you have to share the credit and glory--let alone the meat--with ten or twenty other guys?

I suppose the camaraderie of a group hunt is a thing to put on the plus side of driving. But driving isn't the only way to group hunt.

My own favorite ways of hunting are still-hunting, spot-and-stalk, and calling. I will sit in a blind for hours if I have to, but it ain't my favorite.

The one thing I remain convinced of is that if I ever find myself on a deer drive, I'd rather be a gunner than a driver!

Jim

It's rewarding in the fact that it puts meat on the table. If after glory, couldn't tell ya.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651331
10/28/19 12:23 PM
10/28/19 12:23 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Team credit or glory? Makes me wonder why people play team sports? I think it is dying ( if it is) because it may be harder to put together a team.

Who is John Galt?
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread