No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Cheap wall tent #6652098
10/29/19 11:36 AM
10/29/19 11:36 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
I have seen a couple threads lately about winter camping and guys asking about cheap wall tents. This is what I have been using for late fall/winter hunting trips, I see no real downside. They set up in about a minute, take down in about a minute and though they are bulky they are fairly light and pretty warm. So far I have been heating with propane but will be adding a spot for a chimney and a stove. I personally have a Clam but I think Eskimos are decent, I would check them out in store in person before I decided though. The three person model will sleep two guys, it is tight so again maybe check them out in person to make sure it will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-69151...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1572363020&sr=1-2

[Linked Image]

Re: Cheap wall tent [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6652104
10/29/19 11:47 AM
10/29/19 11:47 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Online content
trapper
tlguy  Online Content
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I was going to suggest that same thing, but ik not sure I would buy one just to use for winter camping. I have the Eskimo 949i that I picked up specifically for sturgeon spearing, but have used it once for an overnight ice fishing trip and a couple times for camping during the late summer. The 949i has ample room for a couple cots, but not if you put a wood stove inside. But the windows are removable so a guy could pretty easily fashion one out of fireproof material for a through spot for a chimney.

Here's a photo of the inside of mine all set up last winter. I haven't priced the wall tents, but these can be picked up for around $250 if you watch for sales or pick up a lightly used one.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cheap wall tent [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6652107
10/29/19 11:59 AM
10/29/19 11:59 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
If you go this route you will want elevated cots so you can stack gear under the cots, it is tight with two guys.

The reason we are going to put a stove in is a "funny story" while elk hunting this year our buddy heater quit working, we turned it from high to medium and it shut off and we could not get it to relight. We lite the cook stove just to keep from freezing but after a couple hours I was pretty miserable and started trying to figure out the buddy heater, after getting thoroughly frustrated my brother started working on the buddy heater and took the propane bottle off and on a few times, being cold and tired we did not think of the possibility that propane had been leaking into the shelter and could be ignited by the cook stove, of course that is exactly what happened, our shelter went from 15 degrees to about 100 degrees as a fireball engulfed the inside, the condensation which had frozen to the roof started to rain down on us as our lungs filled with the results from the explosion and our nostrils were filled with the smell of burnt hair. The shelter seemed a bit off kilter but I couldnt figure out why, after gathering my head I realized the bottom of the shelter was now resting on my cot, we had blown the shelter up in the air and it more less came down in the same place. Lesson learned, just go with wood.

Re: Cheap wall tent [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6652113
10/29/19 12:13 PM
10/29/19 12:13 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Online content
trapper
tlguy  Online Content
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Man, that is hardly a funny story. Could've been a lot worse. Besides the potential for explosion, heating with propane can create issues with depleted oxygen and carbon monoxide in tightly sealed spaces. I will have a CO detector in the tent when heating with propane, but I also make sure the vents are open and the door is cracked.

Re: Cheap wall tent [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6652157
10/29/19 01:17 PM
10/29/19 01:17 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Online content
trapper
nvwrangler  Online Content
trapper
N

Nevada
How cheap is cheap?