No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651336
10/28/19 12:30 PM
10/28/19 12:30 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Driving deer is legal in MN as far as I know. I wouldn't have a problem driving deer for archery hunting. But, I would never participate in driving deer either as a driver or a stander during rifle season. Far too dangerous!

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651415
10/28/19 03:43 PM
10/28/19 03:43 PM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
We do it every year. Keep your group to people you know and trust and all is good.
No screwballs allowed.
I have been doing drives for about 40 years. Never an incident.
Have a plan before your start and everyone wears orange.
Should not be an issue.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: Pike River] #6651568
10/28/19 07:48 PM
10/28/19 07:48 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Pike River
Love the camp man! Where and when was this?

Down in the Lower Wisconsin River valley. I've set up a number of different tents depending on how many will be in camp. Deer camps, IMO, add dimension to the gun deer season.

Same tent setup . . .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Several years back by myself. Friday set up with snow that evening.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just one buddy of mine and me.

Again, snow on Friday night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ground blind built Friday at crossing with two beaver dams.

[Linked Image]

And how it looked Saturday with fresh snow.

[Linked Image]

Wood stove going, pot of stew bubbling, purrs of Coleman lanterns, pegging on the cribbage board. Up in the morning, breakfast in the skillet on the stove, gear up and head to the stand from the tent.

Ah . . . . life is good.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6651607
10/28/19 08:24 PM
10/28/19 08:24 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Awesome set up muskrat.

Eh...wot?

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: The Beav] #6652974
10/30/19 10:26 AM
10/30/19 10:26 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
That's just BS. When I was a kid every farmer and his friends set up deer drives and pushed every piece of woods In the area. We did It for 20 some year's AND NO ONE EVER GOT SHOT.

we use to do the same thing and saw tons of deer and no one got hurt, now no one gets together to hunt or let you on their land. James must not have any hills in his part of the country!

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6653043
10/30/19 11:44 AM
10/30/19 11:44 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Some of the most productive hunts I have been on were short drives of small tracts, using a bird dog or a jump dog. One driver and 0ne or more standers on trails deer were using to go around heavily used permanent stands. many times I would get to the camp and the previous hunters would say "the deer just aren't here" or "deer just aren't moving". I remember several times that happening and seeing over 30 by three hunters in just a few hours and always having good luck. Many times the hunters would be in climbing stands not to start the drive until a few hours after sunrise.

A well trained dog that only jumps the deer is a wonderful thing to see.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6653075
10/30/19 01:04 PM
10/30/19 01:04 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Deer drive safety falls on the hunters. Period. They can make it as safe as possible or as dangerous as possible.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6653086
10/30/19 01:25 PM
10/30/19 01:25 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
I could care less about the hunter safety when guys do deer drives. If you choose to put yourself and your group at risk, that's your decision.

However, when I did participate, I saw way too many bad shots being taken at running/walking deer...which is often the case due to the nature of a deer "drive". Lots of gut shots or shot in the hams. Wasteful. Or, someone would shoot a red fox or coyote with their .270 and ask me if I wanted to "skin" what was left of it. Uh...no, I don't.

But again, if that is how you want to do it, by all means you should.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6653695
10/31/19 06:31 AM
10/31/19 06:31 AM
WV
R
redsnow Offline
trapper
redsnow  Offline
trapper
R

WV
I agree driving deer is as safe or as dangerous as you make it.

As far as deer being gut shot or blasted in the hams, that's up to the hunter. If he didn't have a shot, and shot anyway, that's his fault.

What's wrong with shooting a fox or coyote or bobcat while hunting? When I'm hunting, I hunt.

One thing that someone above said, about "sharing the glory" or something like that. You know, when I'm out hunting with friends, I'm happy if they get the "big one", it's good to know that we kicked it out, got it on it's feet and put him down.

Another thing, I've killed my share, and some of my friends that are getting older or can't walk for whatever reason, let them watch. I like to move around and love to hunt. It sounds like some of you guys are just jealous. Some folks are better hunters than others, just the way it is.

One other thing that I read above, about not shooting in 180* area in front of you. When I hunt, I'm hunting 360*. I don't "drive" much, when I do and know that there's someone off to my right or left, they'll have their "safe" zone. Same as when I'm hunting alone and happen to bump into another hunter.

Around here, our terrain makes things much safer. I've been on drives where the "drivers" are on different ridges. Our mountains run north/south, put a man on the south side of each ridge and take it off. He can shoot 360*, with the exception of the skyline until near the end of the drive. I'm thinking about big drives. If you're just doing a little thicket or small patch, that's different. Get out near the man/men watching and hold up for 20 minutes or an hour. Even better when you have radios and are talking, and know for sure what's going on.

On those days when the deer are sitting tight, nothing is moving, driving can be fun, it can also be very safe.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: AirportTrapper] #6653709
10/31/19 06:51 AM
10/31/19 06:51 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
Deer drive safety falls on the hunters. Period. They can make it as safe as possible or as dangerous as possible.

I believe that is true. But I've seen enough instances of someone losing their cool when game pops up. I was once shot by a friend in high school who was shooting at a rabbit running toward me. Fortunately the range was at least fifty yards. I saw the shotgun come up and had time to turn my back. The pellets stung some on my legs (I was wearing a heavy jacket) but none penetrated skin.

Like I said, I'm envious of those who know ten or whatever number of guys who can be counted on not to lose their heads when the buck of a lifetime is running in front of them. Under those circumstances, I would participate in a drive.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6653839
10/31/19 10:05 AM
10/31/19 10:05 AM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
Hi Jim, just want to say that sometimes I do not agree with you but I enjoy your posts none the less.
Here in New Jersey driving deer usta' be a big thing and some still do it but it has dropped off as more and more houses are built. Here we can use buckshot which works much better on driven running deer provided you know the range limitations of your shotgun. A good buckshot barrel or screw-in-choke is a rare find and the prized possession of the owner. Be aware I am talking shooting OO or OOO not #4Buckshot which is not much more than glorified birdshot. Lots of chokes or barrels will shoot #4 but few shoot the bigger pellets in a dense enough pattern to floor a deer up to 80 yards or so. My son has a modified screw-in-choke for his 3 inch 870 that will consistently put 12 of 15 OO pellets in a pizza box at 70 yards. A deer hit with that drops on the spot as the pattern usually takes out the spine, neck or multiple legs. This eliminates deer that run off 100 yards or so to die in someones back yard like a deer shot with a shotgun slug or muzzeloader will. Eric

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6655683
11/02/19 07:51 PM
11/02/19 07:51 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Driving deer are very unsafe
On motorbikes the lack the thumb to operate the blinker. That makes lane changes somewhat unpredictable and when they drive cars the antlers get in the way of the rear view mirror and they have no idea what’s going on behind them.
I think that deer should not be allowed to operate any form of motor vehicle

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6655920
11/02/19 11:45 PM
11/02/19 11:45 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I do know this. If I were a lawyer, I would not participate in a deer drive...
Too much accident potential.

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6860647
05/01/20 07:52 PM
05/01/20 07:52 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I have probably taken half my deer from drives but reading this post got me to thinking. The guys I hunted with were all Kansas pheasant hunters so driving (walkers + blockers) was an every weekend thing. We all wore orange which the state required for rifle deer season and we were hunting the brushy draws and creek bottoms of the flint hills or the smoky hills. If you missed the bullet stopped in a hillside, period. The youngest or least experienced guys were generally given blocking assignments so they could tag out quickly.

Looking back we never gave it a 2nd thought. We would all hunt horns in the AM and then after lunch meet up for the drives. 4-7 guys at the most.

Reading this post and the great comments I can see where any other set of circumstances might lead to trouble.

I think they way any of us answer questions on social media has to do with our geographic point of view. I remember years ago getting the 3rd degree for using green libs for drags. Since then, I have come to believe the guys who thought I was leading young trappers astray probably did not have hedge rows (osage orange wood is probably not going to snap and turn a coyote loose)

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: The Beav] #6861030
05/02/20 05:37 AM
05/02/20 05:37 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted by The Beav
That's just BS. When I was a kid every farmer and his friends set up deer drives and pushed every piece of woods In the area. We did It for 20 some year's AND NO ONE EVER GOT SHOT.

X2

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6861031
05/02/20 05:46 AM
05/02/20 05:46 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

James, If you think a deer drive might pose a safety issue or 2 you'd probably have a stroke if you saw my coyote hunting buddies chasing butt sniffers across the open prairie with a flatbed full of greyhound boxes and the tac redlined. Hint- all 4 wheels do actually touch the ground but its very brief and then you bounce back up into the air! LOL whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6861056
05/02/20 07:02 AM
05/02/20 07:02 AM
SW Iowa
I
iowayote Offline
trapper
iowayote  Offline
trapper
I

SW Iowa
In my neck of the woods, if it has 4 legs it dies. Yotes, fox, coon, possum, squirrel, rabbit, etc.
Local farmer would host 36 hunters to push timber (often on the sly) and they slaughtered everything in sight.
As a boy, i wasnt allowed in the timber during shotgun deer season.
It was/still is not healthy.

I will gladly feast on those who would subdue me.
Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6861094
05/02/20 07:52 AM
05/02/20 07:52 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Here they drive them with dogs. No harm to humans.

Down here too. James should come to the swamps of south Ga and get him a taste of this. Thirty 4x4 trucks surrounding a block of timber and swamps....20 hounds after one yearling......did I mention the hunters all have rifles.

It is fun!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6861105
05/02/20 08:15 AM
05/02/20 08:15 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
My question is how did this come back up as the alst post was 11/02/2019?

Re: Driving deer is unsafe [Re: James] #6861112
05/02/20 08:29 AM
05/02/20 08:29 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
I started diving deer for the Evergreen Hotel when I was fourteen, Father set up drives for years. we hunt in the woods. No problems no safety issues. cant say anything about where or how you hunt but as far as here drivng was a accepted how to hunt deer. No Mossey oak camo though.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread