No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658355
11/05/19 11:53 PM
11/05/19 11:53 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
But what's the fun of collecting only one rifle?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658360
11/05/19 11:59 PM
11/05/19 11:59 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Having the familiarity and confidence with your rifle Drop your target in its track for one James.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658505
11/06/19 08:26 AM
11/06/19 08:26 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Cool story Ryan.
Reminds me of some Buffalo hunting stories.

Re: One Shot [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6658520
11/06/19 08:53 AM
11/06/19 08:53 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Having the familiarity and confidence with your rifle Drop your target in its track for one James.

Good point, but why not master more than one? I have several that I can grab and go. Several more if I am only woods hunting. Way back when, they only had one rifle because that was all they could afford. The rifle was nothing more than a tool for them. Now, most folks have more than one rifle. Heck, I even shoot a ton of shells a year just for fun. I doubt they ever did that back then.

How far are you guys taking these head/neck shots? I can see a high shoulder shot but once you start stretching the distance you are asking for trouble with the head/neck shots.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658561
11/06/19 09:32 AM
11/06/19 09:32 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I even shoot a ton of shells a year just for fun. I doubt they ever did that back then

When I was a kid shooting targets was "wasting ammo" according to my Dad. He never changed from that either. Any competition shooting was just silliness to him. When I was 11 he gave me his old 30-30. Bought a surplus british 303 to hunt with. First time he shot it was at a deer. Emptied the rifle and didn't hit anything. He was worse than mad. Several people told him to shoot it before hunting with it but he wasn't going to "waste ammo" with silliness. How could a military rifle be inaccurate? So he took my "new" 30-30 and killed a deer then gave it back to me so I could kill one. He bought a .308 FN mauser. Brand new. Came with a scope. Had the store "bore sight" it. We did talk him into shooting that one. Shot it twice and took that worthless (his description) scope off. The iron sight was dead on. He was happy. Never shot it again except to make meat. That rifle has made a lot of it. I don't think the "waste of ammo" philosophy was uncommon years ago.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658562
11/06/19 09:33 AM
11/06/19 09:33 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
If you're only hunting a single species, like caribou, in the same country, I can see getting by with one rifle, one load, one bullet.

But what if you predator call fox, hunt deer, moose, brown bear, and bison? One rifle would not be suitable for all those species; though it could be done, it wouldn't be ideal. So why not let me have a .223/22-250 for fox and other predators; a 7mm-08, ,257 Roberts for deer; .30-06 and 300 win mag for moose; and the 416 Rem and .375 H&H for the big bears and bison.

Oh, yeah. And I wouldn't mind trying out a 28 Nosler on those caribou. If they hold real still (yeah, like I've seen tons of caribou holding still) I might try a neck shot.

Ryan, you've undoubtedly shot more caribou than I've ever seen, so don't let me step on your toes. Put me in my place if I need it.

Just don't make me be monogunous.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658624
11/06/19 10:44 AM
11/06/19 10:44 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
reminds me a bit of my grandpa on my moms side , farmer and stone mason here in WIS , he ran the masonry businesses from the farm the gun was a tool and his tool was the Ithaca M37 12 ga full choke grandma had bought him as a wedding present.
he shot so many fox and anything around the farm that needed it.

my great uncle never took anything but neck shots , but in almost 30 years of hunting with him I also never saw him take a shot beyond 50 yards most were 25-30 the only time I can recall him shooting any further than about 30 yards he was putting down a deer a cousin had a shot in already and it was still running.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658645
11/06/19 11:08 AM
11/06/19 11:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
James most of the gun is a tool folks never hunt more than a days travel from home. let alone another country or Continent.

until my grandpa on my moms side came hunting with us in north east Wis where my Dads mom is from , he never hunted outside of about a hundred miles from his farm and most of the time it was on the farm or an adjacent one.

I am going to admit that I have more than 1 gun , I almost always bring 2 hunting parts break things happen and a spare is a good idea but then I also only get out hunting for a few weekends a year so I want to minimize down time, although I could see where if you never left your home geographic area you could easily get by hunting with a 30 cal in a 308 or 30-06 and everything you shot would die and end up on the table.

if I spent a lot more time hunting and a lot less time at work thinking about hunting I might also have fewer guns.

I have spares as loaners also because I am trying to bring other people into the shooting sports all the time.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: One Shot [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6658814
11/06/19 02:27 PM
11/06/19 02:27 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

Good point, but why not master more than one? I have several that I can grab and go. Several more if I am only woods hunting. Way back when, they only had one rifle because that was all they could afford. The rifle was nothing more than a tool for them. Now, most folks have more than one rifle. Heck, I even shoot a ton of shells a year just for fun. I doubt they ever did that back then.

How far are you guys taking these head/neck shots? I can see a high shoulder shot but once you start stretching the distance you are asking for trouble with the head/neck shots.

Rifles are still considered tools here Jerry. Most shots are under 100-120 yards. I have no problem with multiple guns and me owning about 40 guns is proof of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwHbgNtop1U
neck shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wnbk_P-wQ
head shot.

Re: One Shot [Re: James] #6658815
11/06/19 02:33 PM
11/06/19 02:33 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by James
If you're only hunting a single species, like caribou, in the same country, I can see getting by with one rifle, one load, one bullet.

But what if you predator call fox, hunt deer, moose, brown bear, and bison? One rifle would not be suitable for all those species; though it could be done, it wouldn't be ideal. So why not let me have a .223/22-250 for fox and other predators; a 7mm-08, ,257 Roberts for deer; .30-06 and 300 win mag for moose; and the 416 Rem and .375 H&H for the big bears and bison.

Oh, yeah. And I wouldn't mind trying out a 28 Nosler on those caribou. If they hold real still (yeah, like I've seen tons of caribou holding still) I might try a neck shot.

Ryan, you've undoubtedly shot more caribou than I've ever seen, so don't let me step on your toes. Put me in my place if I need it.

Jim

Nothing wrong with having lots of guns. Hunting and fun don't really go together here. although it is fun we are just there to get a job done (meat on the table). most guys have 3 guns. a 22, a shotgun and a rifle. nobody really calls fox (I do sometimes) that's more for the traps so we don't have to sew bullet holes.

Re: One Shot [Re: James] #6658834
11/06/19 02:58 PM
11/06/19 02:58 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Originally Posted by James

Jim

Doing inventory again?

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: One Shot [Re: Sullivan K] #6658835
11/06/19 03:01 PM
11/06/19 03:01 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Just disconnect the coil wire , everything stops right now.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread