No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
That deer is dead. Updated. #6659216
11/06/19 10:51 PM
11/06/19 10:51 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Story Update:
Sorry fellas I posted pictures and promptly fell asleep. I've been pretty lucky here lately. To tell the story I'll have back up a little. Last year we were going on a family cruise for a Thanksgiving reunion blow out with the in-laws and I had been dreading the timing b/c I was going to miss all of my good hunting... to visit in-laws! lol. I had decided way early last year that I probably wasn't going to go much or even get one for 2018. Then a couple of weeks before we left I popped out one morning on a whim, climbed up in my stand, and five minutes later a doe walked under me headed for the salt station. Thwack. Double lunger, ran in a circle behind me, went home and got the boy, let him track it out. It only had went about 50 yards and was spewing blood with every breath. Anyway it got put in the freezer. Actually the butcher called me in I think it was Jamaica to tell me my deer was done. I thought that was funny.

So that brings us to this year. We just bought a new place and I'm moving. Monday was the first official day that the buyers of my house got the keys. Last week I used a week of vacation just moving all my stuff. Again it was all planned and I didn't figure on hunting much this fall. I knew there was deer in the freezer still so I was telling myself not going was the right thing to do to make myself feel better. Were living out of boxes in the new house right now while flooring and painters are still working. My beds a mattress on the floor right now. Needless to say... I didn't expect to do much hunting this year. Moving the freezer items I had a good inventory on what was left and cleaning things out some I could tell the facts didn't really support the whole freezer is full of deer already scenario I had been playing out in my head. hahaha. So last week at work I logged in and bought my hunting licenses just to have in my wallet on the off chance I could sneak away for a bit. Keep in mind since I knew I was moving I hadn't really kept up my deer plot like I normally would have all year. So anyway... I get to talking to a plumber at work thats done work for me. Come to find out he just moved too. A farm right outside of town. So he's telling me all about his new place and how its great b/c your on the main drag of town, pull into an apartment complex, and the driveway is out of the back of that, and you drop down over a hill and his farm is basically in town but is all river bottom along the river. Knowing where hes talking about I'm like oh thats cool. Do you hunt? He's like no not at all. I'm like ah well I should come out sometime and check the place out maybe you'd let me hunt? He was all like heck yeah man come on over those things jump up when I riding the four wheeler and scare the crap out of me. lol. So I go check the place out last night finally. I've been putting him off for a couple of weeks actually b/c of the big move. Anyway I go check the place out last night and he essentially owns the land behind the houses on main street, it drops down over a ridge, and he owns all the bottom land from the ridge to the river East to West. To the South of him is the town water treatment plant that owns acreage that is all grown up timber along the river. To the North of him is essentially the city park. I mean literally the put in spot for the canoe trips everyone takes is a mile up stream North of his place and takes you right past the tree stand I was in.

So that brings me to Wed basically. His buddy killed a monster down there Tuesday night. He's showing me pictures Wednesday morning at work and is all I thought you were going to come out you should come out. So I hate to let the opportunity pass of course and half getting the shakes from looking at the pictures. He's all like yeah thats a nice one but nothing like the one I've been seeing. So he walks away and its eating at me. So I call him up later b/c I can't take it no more. I look up the time tables and explain to him that official sunset is 5:28 and I'm allow to shoot 30min after that so I'm good till 5:58. I like to show people the table and explain to them all the rules and stuff b/c they don't think of hunters like that so I play it up when trying to get permission. Makes a guy look legit I think. Anyway. I'm like so I'm good for sitting still for a couple hours and usually thats pushing it so I'll be there at 4pm and you can show me around, drop me off on the quad, and I'll walk out at dark. Hes like sure. So he takes me around showing me the place. He says theres deer stands down there but they don't have permission to be there so you're welcome to use them if you want. That made me chuckle. So he shows me this nice climber stand next to the river and his four wheeler path runs right along the river right passed the stand so I say yeah this is the spot. He drops me off and goes up to the house. I ratchet myself up the tree about 15' to where I have a good view and have about an hour and a half till dark. The way I hunt or I should say most of my deer are shot at it getting light or it almost being too dark... so with an hour and a half to go that tells me I basically have an hour and a half to kill. lol. So I just stand there. I had positioned the stand facing the river but I never sat down I just stayed standing on it backwards with my bow laying across the seat in front of me. So for an hour and half I did the watch the squirrels play thing. Two of them were in a leaf nest at the top of my tree. I'm not sure I've ever actually watched a leaf nest actively get used. At least two squirrels were in that thing and once they got settled in you couldn't tell thing were there not a peep or anything. Kinda interesting. So I'm checking my phone and etc. Looking up back and forth like you do. I see its 5:20 or so. Realize that I've been super still and super quiet for a long time now. Haven't seen squat for deer. Its rut. Maybe I should make a call or something b/c its about to be dark... So I reach for my coat pocket and I left my doe bleat can laying on the seat of the truck. Son of a. My grunt is on a rope around my neck and I figure well what can it hurt. So I got three huffs into it while it was in the front of my coveralls muffling it like I do and its still really quiet. I wasn't satisfied with that so I get the thing all pulled out and like a proud bugler at reveille sound off another three good strong huffs / grunts this time. Put it away and settle in for dark. I don't know about 20 minutes later or so you can tell its going to be passed shooting time soon kinda getting dim out I look up and here this buck comes trotting towards me out of the waste water plant area. He stops and is pretty chill not looking my way so I reach up and get my sites turned on... click click click to the third setting. He looks back my way and start trotting in some... stops again just short of what you would call being under my stand. Looks behind him again kinda looking around so I go for my bow... son of a if it doesn't make a scrapping sound on the seat cushion and he hunkers down to bolt. We both froze. In a minute or so he chills out takes a few steps, is looking passed my stand now and walking that direction. When I get my bow up hes three steps from being straight in front of me broad side. Step hes looking around to his right no shot he's kinda quartering towards me, step, looks left... same problem quartering away from me.... step... direct broad side head down straight in front of me... he lifts his head up... gives me a nice big tall target... and thwack. Right above the leg. Takes off through the weeds circling around and headed back up to waste water. Did a summer sault in the weeds. Recovered. Took off again. I think I see my arrow laying on the ground but I've blacked it out and its getting low light. That must be it b/c its awful straight for being a stick. Split second decision to beat dark and get out of the tree. Ok I'm down. Walk over. Yep its my arrow. Yep 100% bloody just like you want. Split second decision to beat dark to find him yep should be good it was a good shot and arrow confirms it. Skip tracking it and walk around the weed patch to the other path that I know he crossed. Ok I know he went through here and up into those woods. Sounded like he went kinda far in there from the tree. Head up to go into there and there he layed right on the other side of the path from the weeds. Never looked for blood but it must have been there.

So I had told myself I would wait on the big one. I saw this one and knew it was not the big one but I had bragging rights of my buddy letting me hunt his new place and have only been there for what two hours and getting one... needing the meat anyway. I've never been a horn guy. This is only the second buck I've ever killed. Neither of them would break any records. Bird in hand right? Plus bragging rights of a two hour hunt on the first night hunting a new place with a guy that doesn't understand just how outdoors I am. So the whole waiting on the monster thing never happened. I think I saw him and had my sight on in less than a minute probably when it came down to it. As I was aiming I was like ahhh should I, maybe, maybe not... broadside presentation and thwack. Brown down. It all happen that fast. You know how it is.

Walk out. Buddy gets supper excited. Jump in my truck go down and throw it in right off the path. Couldn't have been any easier. Went up to the house, drank a beer, exchanged high fives, and I went home and hung it and made the boy hold a leg while I gutted it. Got both lungs and the heart. It didn't stand a chance. Keeping it simple with fixed blade broad heads with three blades has done the job for me so far.

Anyway. That's my story. Hope you liked it. Thanks.

AD0FEF98-A5B7-42B1-A802-2B884FE389ED.jpeg
Tt

CB0DCBE5-3E12-43EE-96ED-DF70750BA6C0.jpeg
Rr

1AF79461-9B93-441C-A97A-9609006991CB.jpegB7F78EB8-D1B2-437E-B457-8197F5D31EA4.jpeg
Last edited by OhioBoy; 11/07/19 08:30 AM.
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659230
11/06/19 11:09 PM
11/06/19 11:09 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Nice !!!!!!!

Report a post club - Non member

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659236
11/06/19 11:20 PM
11/06/19 11:20 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Excellent

Let me sugar coat this
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659237
11/06/19 11:22 PM
11/06/19 11:22 PM
Minnesota
W
wheelers Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
wheelers  Offline

"Trap Shed Sheriff"
W

Minnesota
Nice

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659248
11/06/19 11:34 PM
11/06/19 11:34 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Story? Come on man, don't hold back on us!

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6659253
11/06/19 11:36 PM
11/06/19 11:36 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Story? Come on man, don't hold back on us!

X2, WTG!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659276
11/07/19 12:20 AM
11/07/19 12:20 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dirk Offline
trapper
Dirk  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
Show the deer some respect and tell the story

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659289
11/07/19 12:46 AM
11/07/19 12:46 AM
Minnesota
Woodsloafer72 Offline
trapper
Woodsloafer72  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Nice deer!

Looks like your shed may be a bit drafty and leak a little. grin

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659326
11/07/19 06:50 AM
11/07/19 06:50 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Sweet buck man!!!!

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659328
11/07/19 06:52 AM
11/07/19 06:52 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
wtg smile

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659332
11/07/19 06:57 AM
11/07/19 06:57 AM
Chillicothe.Il
Trapper Dan2 Offline
trapper
Trapper Dan2  Offline
trapper

Chillicothe.Il
Great shot placement OhioBoy.They don't go far when hit in that area

Dan

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659354
11/07/19 07:43 AM
11/07/19 07:43 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Sure is, nice going.

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659380
11/07/19 08:11 AM
11/07/19 08:11 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
sure looks bout as dead as ya can get one

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: Dirk] #6659401
11/07/19 08:32 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
I shot the thing through both lungs and the heart and have it hanging on the meat pole. I didn't disrespect anything and I will assume you didn't mean that I was.

Originally Posted by Dirk
Show the deer some respect and tell the story

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659402
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Story Update:
Sorry fellas I posted pictures and promptly fell asleep. I've been pretty lucky here lately. To tell the story I'll have back up a little. Last year we were going on a family cruise for a Thanksgiving reunion blow out with the in-laws and I had been dreading the timing b/c I was going to miss all of my good hunting... to visit in-laws! lol. I had decided way early last year that I probably wasn't going to go much or even get one for 2018. Then a couple of weeks before we left I popped out one morning on a whim, climbed up in my stand, and five minutes later a doe walked under me headed for the salt station. Thwack. Double lunger, ran in a circle behind me, went home and got the boy, let him track it out. It only had went about 50 yards and was spewing blood with every breath. Anyway it got put in the freezer. Actually the butcher called me in I think it was Jamaica to tell me my deer was done. I thought that was funny.

So that brings us to this year. We just bought a new place and I'm moving. Monday was the first official day that the buyers of my house got the keys. Last week I used a week of vacation just moving all my stuff. Again it was all planned and I didn't figure on hunting much this fall. I knew there was deer in the freezer still so I was telling myself not going was the right thing to do to make myself feel better. Were living out of boxes in the new house right now while flooring and painters are still working. My beds a mattress on the floor right now. Needless to say... I didn't expect to do much hunting this year. Moving the freezer items I had a good inventory on what was left and cleaning things out some I could tell the facts didn't really support the whole freezer is full of deer already scenario I had been playing out in my head. hahaha. So last week at work I logged in and bought my hunting licenses just to have in my wallet on the off chance I could sneak away for a bit. Keep in mind since I knew I was moving I hadn't really kept up my deer plot like I normally would have all year. So anyway... I get to talking to a plumber at work thats done work for me. Come to find out he just moved too. A farm right outside of town. So he's telling me all about his new place and how its great b/c your on the main drag of town, pull into an apartment complex, and the driveway is out of the back of that, and you drop down over a hill and his farm is basically in town but is all river bottom along the river. Knowing where hes talking about I'm like oh thats cool. Do you hunt? He's like no not at all. I'm like ah well I should come out sometime and check the place out maybe you'd let me hunt? He was all like heck yeah man come on over those things jump up when I riding the four wheeler and scare the crap out of me. lol. So I go check the place out last night finally. I've been putting him off for a couple of weeks actually b/c of the big move. Anyway I go check the place out last night and he essentially owns the land behind the houses on main street, it drops down over a ridge, and he owns all the bottom land from the ridge to the river East to West. To the South of him is the town water treatment plant that owns acreage that is all grown up timber along the river. To the North of him is essentially the city park. I mean literally the put in spot for the canoe trips everyone takes is a mile up stream North of his place and takes you right past the tree stand I was in.

So that brings me to Wed basically. His buddy killed a monster down there Tuesday night. He's showing me pictures Wednesday morning at work and is all I thought you were going to come out you should come out. So I hate to let the opportunity pass of course and half getting the shakes from looking at the pictures. He's all like yeah thats a nice one but nothing like the one I've been seeing. So he walks away and its eating at me. So I call him up later b/c I can't take it no more. I look up the time tables and explain to him that official sunset is 5:28 and I'm allow to shoot 30min after that so I'm good till 5:58. I like to show people the table and explain to them all the rules and stuff b/c they don't think of hunters like that so I play it up when trying to get permission. Makes a guy look legit I think. Anyway. I'm like so I'm good for sitting still for a couple hours and usually thats pushing it so I'll be there at 4pm and you can show me around, drop me off on the quad, and I'll walk out at dark. Hes like sure. So he takes me around showing me the place. He says theres deer stands down there but they don't have permission to be there so you're welcome to use them if you want. That made me chuckle. So he shows me this nice climber stand next to the river and his four wheeler path runs right along the river right passed the stand so I say yeah this is the spot. He drops me off and goes up to the house. I ratchet myself up the tree about 15' to where I have a good view and have about an hour and a half till dark. The way I hunt or I should say most of my deer are shot at it getting light or it almost being too dark... so with an hour and a half to go that tells me I basically have an hour and a half to kill. lol. So I just stand there. I had positioned the stand facing the river but I never sat down I just stayed standing on it backwards with my bow laying across the seat in front of me. So for an hour and half I did the watch the squirrels play thing. Two of them were in a leaf nest at the top of my tree. I'm not sure I've ever actually watched a leaf nest actively get used. At least two squirrels were in that thing and once they got settled in you couldn't tell thing were there not a peep or anything. Kinda interesting. So I'm checking my phone and etc. Looking up back and forth like you do. I see its 5:20 or so. Realize that I've been super still and super quiet for a long time now. Haven't seen squat for deer. Its rut. Maybe I should make a call or something b/c its about to be dark... So I reach for my coat pocket and I left my doe bleat can laying on the seat of the truck. Son of a. My grunt is on a rope around my neck and I figure well what can it hurt. So I got three huffs into it while it was in the front of my coveralls muffling it like I do and its still really quiet. I wasn't satisfied with that so I get the thing all pulled out and like a proud bugler at reveille sound off another three good strong huffs / grunts this time. Put it away and settle in for dark. I don't know about 20 minutes later or so you can tell its going to be passed shooting time soon kinda getting dim out I look up and here this buck comes trotting towards me out of the waste water plant area. He stops and is pretty chill not looking my way so I reach up and get my sites turned on... click click click to the third setting. He looks back my way and start trotting in some... stops again just short of what you would call being under my stand. Looks behind him again kinda looking around so I go for my bow... son of a if it doesn't make a scrapping sound on the seat cushion and he hunkers down to bolt. We both froze. In a minute or so he chills out takes a few steps, is looking passed my stand now and walking that direction. When I get my bow up hes three steps from being straight in front of me broad side. Step hes looking around to his right no shot he's kinda quartering towards me, step, looks left... same problem quartering away from me.... step... direct broad side head down straight in front of me... he lifts his head up... gives me a nice big tall target... and thwack. Right above the leg. Takes off through the weeds circling around and headed back up to waste water. Did a summer sault in the weeds. Recovered. Took off again. I think I see my arrow laying on the ground but I've blacked it out and its getting low light. That must be it b/c its awful straight for being a stick. Split second decision to beat dark and get out of the tree. Ok I'm down. Walk over. Yep its my arrow. Yep 100% bloody just like you want. Split second decision to beat dark to find him yep should be good it was a good shot and arrow confirms it. Skip tracking it and walk around the weed patch to the other path that I know he crossed. Ok I know he went through here and up into those woods. Sounded like he went kinda far in there from the tree. Head up to go into there and there he layed right on the other side of the path from the weeds. Never looked for blood but it must have been there.

So I had told myself I would wait on the big one. I saw this one and knew it was not the big one but I had bragging rights of my buddy letting me hunt his new place and have only been there for what two hours and getting one... needing the meat anyway. I've never been a horn guy. This is only the second buck I've ever killed. Neither of them would break any records. Bird in hand right? Plus bragging rights of a two hour hunt on the first night hunting a new place with a guy that doesn't understand just how outdoors I am. So the whole waiting on the monster thing never happened. I think I saw him and had my sight on in less than a minute probably when it came down to it. As I was aiming I was like ahhh should I, maybe, maybe not... broadside presentation and thwack. Brown down. It all happen that fast. You know how it is.

Walk out. Buddy gets supper excited. Jump in my truck go down and throw it in right off the path. Couldn't have been any easier. Went up to the house, drank a beer, exchanged high fives, and I went home and hung it and made the boy hold a leg while I gutted it. Got both lungs and the heart. It didn't stand a chance. Keeping it simple with fixed blade broad heads with three blades has done the job for me so far.

Anyway. That's my story. Hope you liked it. Thanks.

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659532
11/07/19 11:18 AM
11/07/19 11:18 AM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Online content
trapper
Rally  Online Content
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Nice buck anywhere, great shot, great write up,...….. now get back to unpacking those boxes. LOL

Keep your boots dry
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659540
11/07/19 11:25 AM
11/07/19 11:25 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Nice buck and great story.......a little short on words but still a great story.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659668
11/07/19 02:06 PM
11/07/19 02:06 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline OP
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
I mean they gave me crap for not having a story... so I gave them one. wordy or not. lol.

Don't ask a guy that can type for a hunting story. LOL.

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659673
11/07/19 02:10 PM
11/07/19 02:10 PM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
Well done!

Re: That deer is dead. [Re: OhioBoy] #6659774
11/07/19 05:40 PM
11/07/19 05:40 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Great story!!!!

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread