No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659207
11/06/19 10:42 PM
11/06/19 10:42 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline OP
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline OP
trapper
L

kansas
I believe an incidental trapping catch is different than say killing 2 ducks with one shot putting you one over the limit.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659218
11/06/19 10:52 PM
11/06/19 10:52 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
Tagged a bear with my deer tag, one month later shot my deer and couldn't find my tag. I called our warden and he just laughed and said come over and I will give you another tag. I caught a blue heron in a rat set called the same warden and he took it to a local university. No fines no tickets. I believe a lot depends on your local reputation.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659226
11/06/19 11:04 PM
11/06/19 11:04 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Ive heard too many stories of honest people making honest mistakes , trying to do the right thing but instead getting hammerd by someone of authority with no ability to reason

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659527
11/07/19 11:14 AM
11/07/19 11:14 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I have turned in things out of season, and things that don't have a season. I have never even been questioned hardly. As far as Chip and the musk ox goes. From what I saw in AK, the natives in the villages do pretty much what they want. I saw whole moose thrown out in the spring once they thawed and started to rot. Pickup loads of salmon dumped out rather than clean them. Nets full of white bloated fish. Ducks and geese shot in the spring and no attempt to retrieve. They call it subsistence.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659544
11/07/19 11:28 AM
11/07/19 11:28 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by larrywaugh
I believe an incidental trapping catch is different than say killing 2 ducks with one shot putting you one over the limit.

Hows that?

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659551
11/07/19 11:34 AM
11/07/19 11:34 AM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Online content
trapper
Tommie  Online Content
trapper
T

middle tennessee
I’ve called a couple of times when I caught a few turkeys in some footholds. All he ask could they be turned loose or was the damage to bad . I just snap a few photos and sent them to him and put 2 turkeys in the freezer.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659554
11/07/19 11:39 AM
11/07/19 11:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I got a game ticket once for leaving a snare unchecked. Had absolutely missed one when pulling them. Was not good. I had it coming paid the fine and have not heard anymore about it. I don't think anybody gets to shook up if you make an honest mistake. Just own up to it and go on.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659567
11/07/19 11:58 AM
11/07/19 11:58 AM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
No, not me. but i will confess ,i did cut a mattress tag off once, could not sleep for days.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: danny clifton] #6659575
11/07/19 12:12 PM
11/07/19 12:12 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I got a game ticket once for leaving a snare unchecked. Had absolutely missed one when pulling them. Was not good. I had it coming paid the fine and have not heard anymore about it. I don't think anybody gets to shook up if you make an honest mistake. Just own up to it and go on.

That's different than you calling them up and saying , hey I forgot about a snare I left out 2 months ago . And then they come give you a ticket.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: Pike River] #6659603
11/07/19 12:52 PM
11/07/19 12:52 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted by Pike River
My job is to catch people doing stupid stuff...intentional or not. Its darn hard to prove intent but if you dont say something, ore deceptive or straight lie that will show intent.

I'm not a game warden but if someome did call me to report a mistake I'd confiscate the animal amd give him a written warning.

That's you...and most of the ol school wardens. With the new people they are now hiring (with, self admitted, absolutely no wildlife experience) I'm not so sure anymore.

For the record, I call in my incidentals, but to each his own.

OK, story time: I was trapping spring rats years ago in SD. Ended up with a live mink in a colony trap...cold and shivering. So I Tossed him in a milk crate in the cab with a sweatshirt and part of a rat inside. Called the warden's office. Was told no problem but MUST let him go at the same exact location where I caught him. Well I was already down the road and wanted him to warm up and come around before letting him go, So he stayed in the cab for an entire day before I could get back to that stop again. Of course he slipped the crate and I came out to a big steaming pile of doo on my consul in the morning. The dog chased the mink around my truck cab for about 3 hrs that morning until I could get back to the right location (per wardens demands).

I do things like I'm "suppose to do" but there have been times when it leaves me scratching my head.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659607
11/07/19 12:54 PM
11/07/19 12:54 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
I asked our local version of Sneed specifically about the rare occasion of finding a duck at the bottom of a drowning wire. He told me to not salvage the bird but to toss it into the bushes for other critters to eat and not talk about it!

Last edited by newhouse114; 11/07/19 12:55 PM.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659609
11/07/19 12:56 PM
11/07/19 12:56 PM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
Here in NJ bobcats are considered an endangered specie, although we have lots of them. If you catch one in a snare by accident, the state requests that you call them to let it out. They come and ear tag it, take a tooth and a DNA sample then release the cat. Oh, and as they are leaving they give you a $65.00 ticket for "impeading the movements of an endangered specie". Meaning that while the cat was in the snare he could not walk elsewhere. No one calls them for help anymore!! Bear in mind that 2 of these "violations" and you lose hunting, fishing and trapping licenses for 5 years.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: Calvin] #6659617
11/07/19 01:06 PM
11/07/19 01:06 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
When I lived in West Yellowstone in the 70's our landlord took his wife out to fill her moose tag. I'd seen a nice young bull next to the lake after duck hunting and told them about it. I stayed at the cabin but they went to the lake. Turns out when they got there they found two different moose, (the one I saw had a drop antler on one side), one was a young bull and the other was a monster Shiras for the area. He gave her a .243 as she was a tiny gal and he was going to back her up with his 7 mm mag. Unfortunately they didn't discuss which bull they were going to kill. She put two into the boiler room of the youngster and when he hadn't fallen after a bit, he leveled on the trophy and soon enough they were both on the ground.

She came back to the cabin in tears and used our phone to call our local warden who was a good guy. We grabbed our stuff and went to clean the two moose. We ate well all winter but she decided to keep the big bull so most of it was burger. The small bull went to the Indian home in Bozeman.

Unfortunately they threw the book at her, I think because she was a non-res.... they lived half time in MT and half time in CA. Her son was a Bozeman cop and later came to thank us for helping his folks. No doubt that she was never going to hunt again she felt so bad. I always figured her husband was really the one at fault, but I guess he paid the fine.

I've never called myself in.... but I'm a good boy.

Pete

Last edited by swift4me; 11/07/19 01:07 PM.
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659633
11/07/19 01:20 PM
11/07/19 01:20 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Couldn't find a trap one late fall snowed it in ,Low and beold went in early thaw to retrieve it and there was a Red Fox hopping around in it .Let him loose and pulled the trap ,Always wondered how good Gusto was .

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659644
11/07/19 01:34 PM
11/07/19 01:34 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
i make a real effort to obey game laws. if i mistakenly violate one, then realize it without a warden showing up, i correct it and do not make a complaint to l.e. about myself. why would you?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659685
11/07/19 02:27 PM
11/07/19 02:27 PM
- SD -
B
brewer Offline
trapper
brewer  Offline
trapper
B

- SD -
Wisconsin, 14 years old, hunting with my dad on public land. Muzzleloader only, doe tags. We were hard at it, sitting in a draw early morning. Up trots what we both think is a doe. Being a 14 year old and novice, I can't get my muzzleloader on the deer in time for a shot. The deer trots to the top of the hill and we hear ka-crack! Someone shot it. About 15 minutes later, down comes this guy and stops to talk with us. Said he's going to turn himself in to the warden as the deer was actually a 3.5" spike (3" and under is antlerless in WI).

About an hour later he returns with the warden. The warden measures the antlers, says it's illegal and wires the guy a $300+ dollar ticket. I still remember the conversation that ensued. He said, "but I turned myself in!" And the warden made a remark like, you broke the law, and I'm glad you turned yourself in. In front of the warden and the hunter, my dad turns to me and says, "well, I guess you learned a valuable lesson today about turning yourself in."

If course the warden was (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), but life went on. 20 years later, I try to do everything by the book and ethically, but for those of us that spend enough time outdoors, mistakes happen. I still remember the lesson learned that day and evaluate the situation before making that decision.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659914
11/07/19 08:56 PM
11/07/19 08:56 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
i make a real effort to obey game laws. if i mistakenly violate one, then realize it without a warden showing up, i correct it and do not make a complaint to l.e. about myself. why would you?

Now that hits the mark. I always try to follow the letter of the law, but have made a few honest mistakes. The wife and I know about them and nobody else. I learned from those mistakes and paying a fine would not have helped me learn any better. Letting the meat go to waste would just be stupid.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659954
11/07/19 09:39 PM
11/07/19 09:39 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Well I guess a cop or a warden should let everyone off that says its a mistake. Everyone would be making mistakes no need for law enforcement. I guess I understand both sides of it but I have heard plenty of stories that guys laughed about in bars after the fact, using excuses. I guess if it was me I would for the most part issue a ticket and tell them they should plea there case to the judge and let him decide. Not taking side but just understanding both sides and yep I made mistakes.

Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659974
11/07/19 09:59 PM
11/07/19 09:59 PM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
I haven't but a friend killed 2 deer with one shot about 5 years ago. A doe he hadn't noticed was right behind a buck and when he touched the shot off, both went down.
He didn't move them - left them alone and called a CPO. The officer looked the site over, gave him an educational talk and a verbal warning, but then helped him drag them both out to a field where he could get his pickup to them. He told the CPO he would donate the doe to Sportsmen Against Hunger. The CPO said that was a good thing to do and drove off.

Intent and officer discretion is always part of the game - so is lying to an officer.

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: Self reporting wildlife violation [Re: larrywaugh] #6659983
11/07/19 10:05 PM
11/07/19 10:05 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I know a guy that shot a yearling buck he thought was a doe. Turns out the deer had a 3" antler that ran down along the side of it's head instead of going up beside the ear. Couldn't see it in a scope let alone with iron sights. Is a guy supposed to self report and take a fine for a freak of nature like that when it was impossible to discern? I wouldn't, and there was no bragging at the bar about shooting a yearling buck. Mistakes happen, a fine doesn't improve the learning process for those interested in following the law.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread