No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6658258
11/05/19 10:01 PM
11/05/19 10:01 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Originally Posted by squirrelslayer
Originally Posted by PineDoggin
Stretched is the mesh pulled tight knot to knot, so your saying 4 probably is 8 inch stretched which is about right. Your problem is the webbing is way to light, might catch a few when the water is super cold ,but when your drumming them their pushing hard. If the water is any kind of cloudy or dirty they are not seeing it! How deep are the nets, are you using white driftnet corks ? Surface net or a sinking net with hard black corks? You need to make sure it's corked heavy enough so they don't push the cork line down when a body of fish hit, but get heavier webbing 1st.

Our nets are sinking but many of the times when we're drumming the nets are taller than the water so our nets ride on top. Our floats are plastic about the length of your hand and maybe an inch in diameter. Would the webbing size you suggested above what I'm after?

Yes , I think your wasting your time with that light webbing, 70mm is about 45lb test. If you can get a look at anyone of the guy's webbing you'll get a idea of what size there using. Just remember it's not gonna rip off a log to easy. I have new 300ft bales of 6 3/4 that would probably rim rack them but if you got hung up you'd never get it back without a net drum. Our nets are all special ordered and right now it's taking close to 7 months to get just the webbing, I hang my own. But yes your gonna have to go heavier. There's got to be someone to at least tell you what mm their using.

Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6658272
11/05/19 10:14 PM
11/05/19 10:14 PM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Memphis is expensive, https://kellerfishingsupply.com/ , Keller's sometimes has webbing on hand, you can reuse your cork and lead lines , hanging is pretty simple, make a gauge , mark your ties.

Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6658278
11/05/19 10:20 PM
11/05/19 10:20 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
If they are like carp you have one chance with a seine.............after that they know the game plan.
You have found that out with your blocking off a peninsula. They know outboard motor noise..... guys here use a rope across the two points and hand-pull the net across for the blocking, no motor running.
Cohunt should be a wealth of knowledge with this stuff since it was his line of work for 40 years. I was only the tiger flusher on the deep end of the net.

check out Leckie's in Winnipeg for comparisions.

Last edited by Northof50; 11/05/19 10:21 PM.
Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6658920
11/06/19 05:11 PM
11/06/19 05:11 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Memphis is a good outfit that sells quality products so the nets you have should be good and if the mesh sizes you are using are the same as other successful area fishers the problems must stem from either your technique or your locations. The carp are smart for fish and can be very spooky and if you are observing numbers of fish jumping your float lines then I would say for sure they are seeing your nets. Lake whitefish in super clear Lake Superior lead on nets and can be difficult to catch except in fine monofilament nets. That will not be an option for the size fish you are hunting. Since you likely must continue to use the nets you currently have, I would suggest(as I did above) that you seek areas with dirty or stained water where the visibility is reduced and perhaps attempt some sets where you do not drum(drive them) so hard. Those nets are hung on the half basis and with that much webbing will billow from the vertical and should catch fish that come in contact. If your regulations permit, you might try one net with larger mesh, attempt sets made in areas where you suspect concentrations of fish, leave overnight and do not drive at all. The folks making the big catches likely have worked through the learning curve and you might learn a lot from observation.

Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6659065
11/06/19 07:59 PM
11/06/19 07:59 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Trying to become a commercial fishermen on a key board is not the way to go. There is a large learning curve to become a fishermen let alone knowing all the other facets of running a business. Good luck, you will need a lot of it.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6659114
11/06/19 08:41 PM
11/06/19 08:41 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline
trapper
B

Missouri
I would bet Matt Jones could give the answer.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6660075
11/08/19 12:17 AM
11/08/19 12:17 AM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
As I posted earlier I have many friends that fish these carp here and many of them are fishing 3.5” square net mesh.
You are in an area with many great net fisherman in an area with many many miles of open water to fish. You can’t drive them to hard but you can drum and drive them. A close friend had nearly 50,000 pound last week.
If your willing to work for one of these guys for a few weeks you will learn much more than you will by guessing.
You will figure it out by trial and error but it may take you a couple seasons. Ronny Hopkins has spent a lifetime on this water and usually is freely giving information but he might like to trade some labor for some lessons.

Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6660274
11/08/19 09:42 AM
11/08/19 09:42 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Best advice in the whole thread. Trade your labor for some of their knowledge and cut years off the learning curve.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Commercial fishing help [Re: squirrelslayer] #6660277
11/08/19 09:44 AM
11/08/19 09:44 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^^