No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question for Montanna trappers #6660362
11/08/19 11:18 AM
11/08/19 11:18 AM
Eastern Shore, MD
Rob & Neall Offline OP
trapper
Rob & Neall  Offline OP
trapper

Eastern Shore, MD
My son is thinking of attending an outfitter school called Swan Mountain Outfitters located near Swan Lake, MT. I have done some research on the business but I would also like to hear from anybody that knows anything about the guide school they operate. Any comments, positive and negative would be appreciated.

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660380
11/08/19 11:35 AM
11/08/19 11:35 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Just my opinion but I think he'd better off getting a seasonal job with a guide or outfitter. Earn a bit rather than paying a bit.

Mean As Nails
Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660392
11/08/19 11:54 AM
11/08/19 11:54 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
The Swan is in a gorgeous place, one of the main portages into the Bob.

With a variety of guides and outfitters working in the area, getting a seasonal job is a very good way to go. Giving them a heads up that he is looking often allows them to keep him in mind when they start up for the season. A very good way to start.

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660403
11/08/19 12:04 PM
11/08/19 12:04 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
Unless the kid gets lost going from his bedroom to the bathroom, a guide school won't do him any good. Can he hunt? Most of the guide "schools" I know about make the student spend their time saddling the outfitters horses, cooking meals for them and clearing the outfitters trails. I remember one guy we hired from PA, he put the bridle on upside down with the bit on top the horses nose. didn't learn much, huh. He'd be better off moving to the general area he'd like to work in ( ie west, southwest, Minnesota etc) and get a real job. The come hunting season, spend all his time learning how to hunt in that area. Learn how to set up and ride horses from some local. Wouldn't waste his money that way. Outfitting school won't teach him how to hunt; he's gonna have to learn that on his own.

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660406
11/08/19 12:07 PM
11/08/19 12:07 PM
idaho
G
grumpa Offline
trapper
grumpa  Offline
trapper
G

idaho
Tell him to get a good paying job and save some money, than follow his dreams. Most folks I know that went to guide school said it was a waste of money.

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660458
11/08/19 01:31 PM
11/08/19 01:31 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
This what I did when I was interested in becoming a guide.
I because a assistant guide (glorified meat packer) then a guide. Worked for a couple different outfitters one Montana,, one in Alaska, and guided mountain lion hunters after general big game season was over. worked for 3 years in a row .
I was given the opportunity to take master guides test move to Alaska as the outfitter was looking for someone to run the outfit while he did the flying only.
My off season up there would been goldmining for him as he had claims.
Basically he was looking to semi-retire .
Also remember you better love people ,,, loving to hunt and fish or trap is not good enough because really doesn't everyone enjoy those activities grin
Would not trade the time spent for nothing made good money for time spent ,,,, but remember it is seasonal.
Unless he is doing fishing or buys a outfit,,, or sells hunts at shows.
Raising a family and guiding full time is tough way to go.
Hope this helps
Red

Last edited by red mt; 11/08/19 01:43 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660527
11/08/19 03:35 PM
11/08/19 03:35 PM
San Antonio , Texas
Y
Yotegiter Offline
trapper
Yotegiter  Offline
trapper
Y

San Antonio , Texas
I went through a guide school back in 94. Best dang money I ever spent. Had a great outfitter with guaranteed job placement for its graduates. I graduated and spent the next 5yrs working in western Montana as a guide. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t changed a thing. It was a great time in my life, with memories I’ll take to my grave. I can’t speak for the outfitter your asking about, but not all outfitters are crooks as some are implying. Let your son go west and discover his manhood. Good luck

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6660550
11/08/19 04:15 PM
11/08/19 04:15 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
I know a guy that runs a guide school and packing for the most part its a joke if your a hard worker and I mean hard and don't mind low pay you can do it. You put up with a bunch or big money whiners and better enjoy it. Me I hated it and turned to running a small farm, ranch don't have anyone to blame for my falls and get paid better. The work is still hard but the harder I work the more luck I get.

Re: Question for Montanna trappers [Re: Rob & Neall] #6661088
11/09/19 10:45 AM
11/09/19 10:45 AM
Eastern Shore, MD
Rob & Neall Offline OP
trapper
Rob & Neall  Offline OP
trapper

Eastern Shore, MD
I appreciate everyone's comments both positive and the negative. Neall has been hunting, fishing, trapping and shooting competitively since he was 9yo. He is still a year away from graduation but he has talked about guiding for the last couple years. He is a hard worker and when not in school is at his part time job working for a local feed and seed company. I have told him to follow his dream but it will be hard work. Thanks again to all....Rob

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread