No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6660812
11/08/19 10:12 PM
11/08/19 10:12 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Muzzy 4 blade 115 grain for me. used to shoot 125 grain but everyone thinks lighter is better so cant find them. Would u rather get hit by a 100 mph golf ball or 125 mpg ping pong ball? As far as I know the difference of x bow broad heads is the size of the shaft of bolt compared to arrow. Either way what ever u decide practice with them first. Muzzy shoots the same as my field points in my bow. But just a compound.

Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: cmj] #6660886
11/09/19 01:03 AM
11/09/19 01:03 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by cmj
Muzzy 4 blade 115 grain for me. used to shoot 125 grain but everyone thinks lighter is better so cant find them. Would u rather get hit by a 100 mph golf ball or 125 mpg ping pong ball? As far as I know the difference of x bow broad heads is the size of the shaft of bolt compared to arrow. Either way what ever u decide practice with them first. Muzzy shoots the same as my field points in my bow. But just a compound.

I actually had I 125 grain 3 blade Muzzy took with me today at the range.. After got the bow dialed in with the 100 grain points. I switched to the 125 and sent that down range. Have to say it dropped more than I thought it would coming off the X bow. Didn't measure it but I'd guess it dropped 4-6 inches at 20 yards..I have a couple different flavors of 125 grain broad heads in my box bow things. All stuff I have for the older compounds shooting aluminum shafts with feather fletchings. All these new carbon arrow seem to be running skinny shafts lighter heads..
The old 125s fit right on the cross bow bolts like were made for them. I'm sure they can take the whack too no reason they shouldn't..

Over hear a guy at the archery shop talking to a clerk about his luminocks... Said the lite up fine shooting his field points at targets. Then said he had shot 4 deer and 2 coyotes while hunting and the knocks didn't light. I didn't keep eve's dropping to see what more he had to say or what he figure caused it. Wondering if maybe cold weather got hi some how??

Mac

Last edited by Macthediver; 11/09/19 01:09 AM.

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6661022
11/09/19 09:02 AM
11/09/19 09:02 AM
west virginia
W
wvmntnhick Offline
trapper
wvmntnhick  Offline
trapper
W

west virginia
I’ve played with a lot of heads over the years. Can’t say I’m sold on one in particular. But, for fixed blades I do like slick trick, wac ‘em 4 blade and recently Ramcat. They’re awesome. For expandable I’ve grown to like anything Grim Reaper and the Rage Hypodermic. But, I’ve been using the Chinadermics from eBay with the same results. Glad you found something you like. I’m switching to Ramcat heads in my vertical bow as well. X-bow only gets used on urban hunts when things need to be perfect.

I keep desperately hoping that one day someone will call me "Sir" without adding "please calm down" or "you're causing a scene."
Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6661089
11/09/19 10:57 AM
11/09/19 10:57 AM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline
trapper

So. IL
So, I got the wife a crossbow for our anniversary. I picked up some rage 125gr crossbow broadheads. Yesterday, my wife sat up for the 1st time with her new crossbow. She texted me about an hour later saying she got one. When I went out to where she was setting, it didn't take us long to find him.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pintail_drake04; 11/09/19 11:00 AM.
Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6661092
11/09/19 11:04 AM
11/09/19 11:04 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
pintail_drake04
I say that is pretty dang cool.. congratulation to her..Nice Photo thanks for sharing..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6661104
11/09/19 11:28 AM
11/09/19 11:28 AM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
NAP Spitfires for me. I’ve used them for about 25 years.

Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6661113
11/09/19 11:42 AM
11/09/19 11:42 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Hey, Mac! I can't wait to hear about you getting a deer with that setup!

That deer I got the on Tuesday was my first gourmet deer for this year and he's in the fridge downstairs, awaiting packaging. It was a short hunt. He walked by next to me (in a blind) and stopped and stood 20 yards in front of me, quartering away. I punched him through the lung and heart and into the shoulder blade on the far side. He flipped over and landed on the ground right there with the bolt sticking straight up and glowing like I had planted the flag. I did the field skinning and disassembly technique on him right there, and it was interesting. That broadhead was just out the other side of him, shattered through the shoulder blade. Nice of him to stop right there and make my job easy! The rest of the deer I have taken with that setup were pass-throughs, and the lighted nocks really saved the day in recovering arrows.

I love to use lighted nocks with field tips for target shooting with my compound bow too - especially if I'm pushing my limits on our range (here at the house) because if I launch one past the target horizontally and bury it, I will find it glowing later. It's been an investment with a nice return for me.

Have fun with it, Mark! Give us the report!
Patrice

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Broad heads for cross bow [Re: Macthediver] #6663276
11/12/19 02:20 AM
11/12/19 02:20 AM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
For fixed blades a WacEm Triton will fly like a dart and kill anything you point it at. Muzzy HBX hybrid mechanical if you go that direction. Fly nice and cut a big nasty hole.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread