No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Should Beaver Backstrap Be Cooked... [Re: J Staton] #6662689
11/11/19 12:10 PM
11/11/19 12:10 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
That's how my wife cooks it. In the crock pot. I skin one on the dining room table if we are going to eat it. I start by cutting to just above the vent. Skinning back enough to get the oil sacs and caster out. Then I use one of wife's kitchen knives to finish skinning. I just hog it off and flesh on my beam in the fur shed. While I'm fleshing and boarding it the wife takes the meat off and puts it in salt water then in the frig. Next morning it goes in the crockpot. I know she puts tomato puree in it. Onions potatoes and carrots. Pretty good when its ready.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Should Beaver Backstrap Be Cooked... [Re: J Staton] #6662713
11/11/19 12:46 PM
11/11/19 12:46 PM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
Backstrap doesn't need to be over cooked, pink in the center is good. When I take the backstrap, I use a different knife and be sure there is no caster on any of it, I take the casters out first so that helps. Once you get the backstraps cut out I soak in salt water overnight, than cut it up. Asd I cut it I skive the silver skin off so all I have is the meat, no sinew. Beaver meat is hard to beat.

Re: Should Beaver Backstrap Be Cooked... [Re: J Staton] #6662803
11/11/19 02:50 PM
11/11/19 02:50 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
1. Problems eating anything undercooked start with our age. The older you are above about 37, the more your immune system can’t withstand a bacterial or viral hit. The same is true for younger kids (birth to aged 32). Immune system is still developing.
2. Cooking doesn’t kill everything. But it does reduce the numbers. This helps but some of the toxins are still there and are heat stable well beyond normal cooking ranges. = We’re still at risk
3. Skinning often contaminated the meat. A little hair; a little fecal material; and no glove changes allows contamination to take place
4. Cooking temps are rarely taken. Most people believe hot is hot enough without knowing what “hot” is. You can get burned at 126 degrees F and lots of bacteria can live past this temp. There are reasons why restaurants and schools and hospitals cook as hot as they do. And chill as fast as they’re required. Food safety is a science plenty of people get wrong.

Think about it: you’re 42. You skinned and contaminated everything with disposable gloves. You washed everything down but contaminated the sides of your sink and counter tops with splash. You refrigerate in a refrigerator holding food at 45 degrees, meaning it’s too warm to control toxin production. Then you cook till it’s “hot” without knowing what “hot” should be. Bon Apetit!

Two or three days later, you’re on the throne, bucket in hand, because it’s coming out both ends. You blame it on the carrot salad you ate last night, because that’s what’s coming out.

Trust me, I spent 37 years working with sick people and 5 years teaching about it. Under cooking because it has more flavor isn’t doing anyone any good.

Never too old to learn
Re: Should Beaver Backstrap Be Cooked... [Re: J Staton] #6662817
11/11/19 03:11 PM
11/11/19 03:11 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
"Should beaver backstraps be cooked ?"

No Its a waste of time. Its mostly rib cage with almost nothing on it. Throw it too the dogs with the carcass ,and eat the front and hind legs, along with the tail muscle, and do leave some fat on it."
Must be cooked well done, or at least cooked long enough to get rid of the beaver smell. (It changes while cooking from beaver stink, to a beef smell. Very important. That's why some don't like it.)

I cook mine in a pressure cooker until its falling off the bone, make gravy with it use a lot of pepper, and slop it on mashed taters with bread its awesome.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread