No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Re-thinking Trap Theft #6662917
11/11/19 05:32 PM
11/11/19 05:32 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Got up at 0330 to run the line yesterday morning. First stop where I have 8 coon traps, 5 coyote traps and an otter set, I noticed human footprints that weren't mine by two of the coon traps (or at least where two coon traps had been) and no traps. Not the first time I've had traps stolen. Seem to lose some every year, as I trap almost exclusively public land. At first I was fuming, like I normally get when I have traps stolen. Then I started thinking about it and really it comes down to my responsibility to keep traps and animals out of sight. These were not in plain sight and someone had to go off the road a ways to find them, but I probably could have hidden them in some brush better rather than on the mud flat. This doesn't make stealing someone's traps and animals in those traps okay, but it's the battle we fight if we trap public land. I'm going through in my head over which traps in this area and other areas on my line should be moved to more discreet areas. Sometimes that might be just 20 yards away in some tall brush with a call lure to draw the animals in. At least that's the mentality I was able to adjust to, in my head, before I called the CO for the area to let him know about the theft. With all that said, however, I would LOVE the opportunity to actually walk up on someone red-handedly stealing traps or animals in my traps.

Last edited by Wild_Idaho; 11/11/19 05:36 PM.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662931
11/11/19 05:46 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
I agree that it is best to have traps and animals out of sight as best we can. This, however, can be difficult. A trap thief that knows there is a trapper around or someone who is extra curious can both find sets as these individuals can follow your tracks if there is snow or good tracking ground. I know I have missed animals or they were unwilling to commit because the location of my set was not as easily accessible as it would have been 20 feet this way or that, but my priority was to have the set concealed from prying eyes. Something we have to deal with I guess. Good luck!

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662932
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Hopefully you get something figured out.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662939
11/11/19 05:55 PM
11/11/19 05:55 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Have that here as well, slide wires can be used to move animals away from the set area, also drags

I've found that most thieves don't like to walk very far away from their get away source, so I make use of that when I can, especially for cats here, getting your set away from parking areas or off the trail is a must any more.

Making sure you report your loss and the general area is a must as well, to prevent you form being held responsible for another's actions using your equipment.

Sad as it is, some times we have to practice hide and seek our selves just to keep our harvest from being stolen !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662955
11/11/19 06:30 PM
11/11/19 06:30 PM
Central Idaho
I
IDaHo Bob Offline
trapper
IDaHo Bob  Offline
trapper
I

Central Idaho
I had a new one yesterday. I had two traps taken AS I WAS SETTING THE REST OF THE LINE. I came back by less than 2 hours after setting the initial traps and they were already gone. I have the same perspective, I kind of knew those ones were a risk as I was setting them and decided to do it in the interest of being able to check my traps directly from my vehicle rather than getting out and walking to every trap. It sucks that part of our location criteria is making sure the traps are not easily visible when trapping on public land, but it's what we deal with I guess.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662961
11/11/19 06:38 PM
11/11/19 06:38 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I dont think traps are much different than other pieces of outdoor gear that get left on public land. Would you leave a deer stand or trail camera within eye shot of a public road or trail?

Yeah moving a trap 20 feet off an animal trail with some call lure may net some catches, but far fewer than a trap set right on the trail. Slide wires or chains can get the animal out of site, but dont help much when the thief knows what to look for.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662980
11/11/19 06:56 PM
11/11/19 06:56 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
BS! People need to learn to leave stuff alone that doesn't belong to them. I see other peoples property on public land all the time and I don't steal it.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6662982
11/11/19 06:59 PM
11/11/19 06:59 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
A thief is a thief no matter if on public and or private land.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: ~ADC~] #6663006
11/11/19 07:28 PM
11/11/19 07:28 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
BS! People need to learn to leave stuff alone that doesn't belong to them. I see other peoples property on public land all the time and I don't steal it.

Oh I completely agree, but the fact is it's not going to stop. So I am going to adapt. And keep setting where I want but knowing that I'm going to lose some traps every year. Just hope I can catch the thieving rat turds.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663022
11/11/19 07:53 PM
11/11/19 07:53 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
When I was a Conservation Officer, I didn't care how old you were, if you were wrong then you got a citation or a trip to the lock up. One year I had reports of somebody stealing traps and muskrats out of traps in this one wildlife area. So I waited a couple of days and did a stake out on the area. Sure enough, about midnight I see two boys riding their bicycles down the road into the area. One had a flashlight looking in the ditch where there were traps. They got off their bikes and pulled the traps and put them in a burlap bag. I watched them steal 3 traps. I knew the guy the traps belonged to, and I had checked the traps earlier that day for tags.

I figured I had enough evidence so I pulled in to the area and positioned my car across the road. If they wanted past me they would have cross a 5 feet deep ditch. They didn't try to run. I asked them what they were doing and they said they were pulling their traps. I told them to dump them out on the ground, which they did. I picked one up, looked at the name tag and ask them for any identification. They of course didn't have any. I ask them their names and they gave me some made up names, which didn't match the tags. Our court in the county I was in, had a rule that if a person can't produce identification, then we were to haul them to jail. I ask them their age, 13 and 14. I laid their bikes on the side of the road, handcuffed them and put them in the back seat and away we went. At the jail the kids still wouldn't give me their names. They were locked up until later that evening (Morning) told the jailer what their names were, so their parents could be called.

The next day the prosecutor called me ask if I wanted to let them post bond or come to court like I had noted on the citation. I said they stole and then lied to me... The judge needs to talk to them. They got off with $50.00 fine each. This is not the end of the story.

The next trapping season I caught the same to boys on the Federal Game management area trapping, with no license and the area was closed to trapping. Now they were 14 and 15. Back to court... had a different judge this time. The prosecutor told me the judge wasn't going to fine them and dismiss the case, because they were just boys. I informed the prosecutor that I wanted my opportunity to give my testimony. After he talked to the judge, I told my story. He reluctantly fined them each $50.00. This is not the end of the story.

I told the prosecutor and the judge after court, that this wouldn't be the last time they would see these two. The prosecutor, asked me what I meant by that. I said, These two are bad apples, the next time you see them they are going to be in here for a felony. They looked at me like I was crazy.

One year later these same two boys robbed and killed the owner of a small sporting goods store in the town. They were 15 and 16. They both got hard time, but since I had moved to a different location, I can't remember how much, but I seem to remember 30 to life. The woman they killed was a good woman. They killed her, robbed her money and stole 12 or 15 weapons.

If a kid continually steals and lies they will end up being a hard criminal.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Actor] #6663046
11/11/19 08:15 PM
11/11/19 08:15 PM
Minnesota
4zebra61 Offline
trapper
4zebra61  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Good story Actor!

MTA member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Winchester Arms Collector’s Assn.
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: ~ADC~] #6663052
11/11/19 08:19 PM
11/11/19 08:19 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO

I agree with this!

Do I try to hide my sets and catches from others view? Yep. Thieves suck!

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663073
11/11/19 08:32 PM
11/11/19 08:32 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Online content
trapper
Law Dog  Online Content
trapper

Central, SD
We talk about location all of the time then we end up setting our 3rd choice to avoid problems.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Actor] #6663082
11/11/19 08:40 PM
11/11/19 08:40 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Good story , Actor
Lot of truth there , unfortunately.

Over my lifetime I have returned over a dozen wallets and 2 purses. All intact. Most only had a small amount of money. Last wallet I returned was a bit of a whopper , $454 in it. Guy who lost it was SO , SO happy to get it back intact. He gave me $25 for my troubles. I would much rather have the $25 earned honestly than just take the guy's money. Some of my friends call me 'The wallet magnet '
I sleep better at night.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663085
11/11/19 08:48 PM
11/11/19 08:48 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Stolen traps has been going on since the mountain man days,read articles written by trappers at the turn of the century(19th)and you'll see references to it,Bill Nelson and Herb Lenon used to talk about lines being followed and cleaned out.We've all been there,we've all had traps stolen.I've set by public trails and took fur right under peoples noses,I've also had them discover what I was up to and clean me out.I don't want or need the headache anymore,I stay away from them.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: ~ADC~] #6663092
11/11/19 08:57 PM
11/11/19 08:57 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan

Exactly! I trapped extensively on public ground and have seen other peoples stuff nearly on a daily basis. I have never taken another sportsman's property ever, and it saddens me that others seem to do it as often as they can. It ain't just one guy in the county swiping traps or trailcams....too many are stolen every day. What is needed are some stiff fines and penalties when they get caught. that ain't going to happen. The courts, for the most part, treat it as a nuisance to even prosecute sometimes. It is the same with trespassing. Most judges don't really see it as much of a real problem, at least in my area.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663117
11/11/19 09:16 PM
11/11/19 09:16 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
We have a big problem with Johnny Sneakum off the road system up here. I lost quite a few traps and fur to thieves and/or antis, until I bought a snow machine and began running a more remote line.

I haven't had much luck using call lures to call animals more than a short distance. I have to set on location to catch anything, and that means my sets are easily detected by thieves.

Some thieves--or anti saboteurs, I was never sure which--will work really hard to steal something, harder than they would have had to work honestly for the same gain. I used to cable tie traps to trees, and once had a thief dismantle a 120--turn it into a 110--after a lot of work trying to cut the cable and open the S-hook.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663129
11/11/19 09:27 PM
11/11/19 09:27 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
For some reason people who would normally not steal anything will pick up a trap.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663139
11/11/19 09:40 PM
11/11/19 09:40 PM
caldwell id
C
caldwellite Offline
trapper
caldwellite  Offline
trapper
C

caldwell id
Big problem down here also. I like to run a few Marten traps around Stanley. One year I had someone run my line and even reset my traps after removing my catch.

Re: Re-thinking Trap Theft [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6663142
11/11/19 09:46 PM
11/11/19 09:46 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
My grandfather told me a couple stories from when he trapped back in the 70s and 80s. First was a man he caught redhanded standing over his traps holding his fox catch, he had been walking down his line gathering up his fox and coon. The man was armed, and so was my granddad. He was told to leave the fox and go away...that man ended up with a face full of birdshot from a 12g. It didnt kill him or blind him. He was a local ne'er do well. Sheriff was called and nothing happened to my grandfather, so im assuming that boy decided to go for his gun or something.
A different time a dog hunter had one of his dogs caught in a trap and decided he was gonna pull all my granddads traps out of the field and he threw them in a briar patch. My granddad found out who it was and made that fellow walk out into the briars and gather up all the traps he decided he wanted to toss out there.
My grandfather was a very level headed man and did not get in confrontations with people except in rare occasions, he wouldnt take crap from anyone though. Pillar of the community type, so by these stories dont get the wrong idea about the man. Im sure if he was here to tell the story he would be very justified in his actions on all these stories.

I hate thiefs and people who mess with my hunting-fishing-trapping. I go out of my way to get out of others way that are out doing the same. I have had landowners handle trap thieves whenever possible. I would probably get nasty quick with a dipstick messing with my stuff if i caught em.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread