No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling #6664764
11/13/19 01:46 PM
11/13/19 01:46 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was wondering how the new restrictions for CWD were going to be handled

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/landfillmap.html

the answer to disposing of the carcass and where you can get self sample.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665341
11/14/19 01:23 AM
11/14/19 01:23 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I always get mine tested. It's easy to do.

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665371
11/14/19 02:40 AM
11/14/19 02:40 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Never had one tested and don't plan on It. But those dump sites might be a good way to fill your bait piles.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665431
11/14/19 07:45 AM
11/14/19 07:45 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Really?

Deer parts that may be moved

If not brought to a licensed taxidermist or meat processor within 72 hours after harvest, the following are the only parts from wild cervids legally-harvested in the CWD-affected counties [PDF] that may be transported beyond those counties or an adjacent county. These are the same parts that are allowed into Wisconsin from other states and provinces that have CWD.
•Meat that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
•Quarters or other portions of meat to which no part of the spinal column is attached.
•Meat that has been deboned.
•Hides with no heads attached.
•Finished taxidermy heads.
•Antlers with no tissue attached.
•Clean skull plates with no lymphoid or brain tissue attached.
•Clean skulls with no lymphoid or brain tissue attached.
•Upper canine teeth (also known as buglers, whistlers or ivories).

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665436
11/14/19 07:58 AM
11/14/19 07:58 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
So I shoot a deer in Dane county and I can't take it home to butcher or to my local taxidermist in Sheboygan county?

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665475
11/14/19 08:57 AM
11/14/19 08:57 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Not sure about any the testing or any of that.. Did take a drive south yesterday and two county's south see a plastic lined dumpster. Sitting right along HWY pull off, sign on it said Dispose of deer carcasses here..Help prevent spread of CWD..
Guess that is better people got place to dump their bones then throw them in road ditch like some do..But the lazy slobs that do that probably won't haul them to the free dumpster.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665529
11/14/19 09:57 AM
11/14/19 09:57 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin

It doesn't say I can't dump a deer carcass In the back forty where I live If I kill It In that county. So If I don't take a dumpster deer out of the area I should be good to go.
Not saying I may do that since It may be very hard to get it out of the dumpster. I can remember when they had that kill a doe earn a buck tag deal. Those dumpsters were filled with doe deer that weren't even gutted.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: k snow] #6665542
11/14/19 10:10 AM
11/14/19 10:10 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by k snow
So I shoot a deer in Dane county and I can't take it home to butcher or to my local taxidermist in Sheboygan county?

you can pay to have it processed , or to a taxidermist , in 72 hours

fellas I didn't make the rules I was just pointing out the map the DNR sent via email for those who may not have gotten it so you might comply with the new rules.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665545
11/14/19 10:11 AM
11/14/19 10:11 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
And the DNR wonders why hunter numbers are declining. More rules making it harder to hunt.

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665548
11/14/19 10:15 AM
11/14/19 10:15 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the township I normally hunt has a big hole they dig at the beginning of bow season and they fill it in at the end of the year and dig a new hole next to it next year.

I haven't hunted the main land in 18 years , but due to heath issues in the family we are going with my sons friends family this year.

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665596
11/14/19 11:30 AM
11/14/19 11:30 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I haven't look at the regs yet this year, but last time I did you could bring them to a taxidermist or licensed meat processor if bringing them from a CWD county to a non-Cash county. Same with bringing deer back from out of state.

But here's the kicker. Probably 90% of the guys making some quick cash cutting up deer during the fall out of their garage aren't licensed meat processors. I looked into the licensing requirements back when I worked for the DNR because I thought it would be handy to make a list of licensed processors available to the public. Turns out the licensing is done by USDA and they don't even offer a license to someone who only cuts up wild game.

Now a guy could easily get around that by buying a taxidermy license (which would also allow the licensee to purchase raw fur if I'm not mistaken) and be completely legal.

Beav, I dont think taking a deer from the dumpster for a bait station would be legal, since you have no way of knowing where the deer came from. Plus it completely defies one of the reasons for having the dumpsters in the first place. Should be plenty of roadkill around that you can call in or register online and use for bait, plus they won't already have all the meat removed.

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6665605
11/14/19 11:39 AM
11/14/19 11:39 AM
Wisconsin
D
DadN3Boyz Offline
trapper
DadN3Boyz  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I just had a chat with the DNR using their on-line chat service. I live in Waukesha county but hunt in Vilas. According to the rep, I can transport a whole harvested deer home without restrictions because every county I drive through is designated CWD. If I travel through a Non-CWD county then I have to follow the restrictions.

Not sure about traveling through an adjacent CWD county though. I did not ask that question.

Re: WI gun deer carcass disposal sites and sampling [Re: DadN3Boyz] #6665612
11/14/19 11:51 AM
11/14/19 11:51 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by DadN3Boyz
I just had a chat with the DNR using their on-line chat service. I live in Waukesha county but hunt in Vilas. According to the rep, I can transport a whole harvested deer home without restrictions because every county I drive through is designated CWD. If I travel through a Non-CWD county then I have to follow the restrictions.

Not sure about traveling through an adjacent CWD county though. I did not ask that question.

Just read the rules and looked at the map, I should be good.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread