No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Inconsiderate hunters. #6666466
11/15/19 11:17 AM
11/15/19 11:17 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline OP
trapper
strike2x  Offline OP
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Today is opening day for rifle deer season and I had to check traps like any other day. Only problem was I had 3 different trails that some deer hunters thought would be good parking spots. I made it past 2 of them in the little Jeep and bad to drive around t to a different entrance to get to my other sets. I don't set traps in what I call parking areas in consideration of other sportsman. I wish they all would think about how what they do may effect others. The one guy was sitting in a chair about 100 yards from his truck on the side of the trail. I almost went back and asked him to move it but I was considerate and drove around. Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I do hunt also, just didn't today because of work but I don't block others travelways. How was your morning.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666484
11/15/19 11:34 AM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Pretty good thus far. The cold has eased up

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666485
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
been huntin,scoutin fur,and aint saw another human.----AWESOME in other words.heck i'm about ready to set a few traps around my little farm to kick the season off.MUCHO SPECTACULAR.

sorry,hope you caught something and have a better end to your day.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666497
11/15/19 11:56 AM
11/15/19 11:56 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Was in the stand calling. A nice little buck was making his way to me. Then bang!!! He tenses and looks. Bang!!! He bolts. Frustrated I leave the stand. The neighbor fired a couple rounds checking his sights, taking his nephew for youth day tomorrow.

-Goofy-
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666502
11/15/19 12:03 PM
11/15/19 12:03 PM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
I've run into a fair number of inconsiderate people while hunting and trapping. And not just hunters. There have been inconsiderate trappers, hunters, hikers, birders and fishermen. A lot of people think the spot of public land they use is their private spot.

Hobbie - our gun season is in a week, they should call the 2 weeks before "gun sight in season." It's nothing to hear several dozen gun shots every evening while on stand.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666505
11/15/19 12:09 PM
11/15/19 12:09 PM

R
Rubee
Unregistered
Rubee
Unregistered
R

Some park that way to block the two track from competition I believe.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666516
11/15/19 12:27 PM
11/15/19 12:27 PM
U.P. Michigan
G
garart Offline
trapper
garart  Offline
trapper
G

U.P. Michigan
We get a lot of this going on around here during bear and gun deer season. It most often ends up being someone from downstate or out of state, pulling this crap, on public land. The cure for it is reporting it! This is illegal in the state of Michigan, but if you don't report it you are condoning this type of behavior. Gary.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666519
11/15/19 12:32 PM
11/15/19 12:32 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
My all time favorite. I was with my buddy in Northwest Ontario running bear baits for his outfitting business. We are 30 miles from camp - civilization etc. 200 yards in the bush on this rock outcropping. Carried in bait standing talking and out comes some nature lovers apparently. Said they were bird watching. Have no idea how they got there. But there they were. I mean we were in the middle of no where.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666530
11/15/19 12:55 PM
11/15/19 12:55 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Try boat trapping steelhead streams sometime for true frustration. LOL Drift boats and bank anglers and they all think you should be at idle speed only and you've got 15 miles to cover in a short amount of time.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666540
11/15/19 01:06 PM
11/15/19 01:06 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Firearms gun season is a nightmare to anyone who owns land. Apparently as soon as you but on blaze orange you are instantly unable to read No Trespassing signs and become a complete bozo.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666544
11/15/19 01:14 PM
11/15/19 01:14 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Must be a thing blocking roads and gates I had a transport the first day of grouse season here and drove through the Grass Lands and even with a ton of room to park the thing was to block the gates to keep others out.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Calvin] #6666561
11/15/19 01:37 PM
11/15/19 01:37 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Calvin
Firearms gun season is a nightmare to anyone who owns land. Apparently as soon as you but on blaze orange you are instantly unable to read No Trespassing signs and become a complete bozo.

X 2!

Eh...wot?

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666571
11/15/19 01:56 PM
11/15/19 01:56 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
A friend of mine had a registered Maine guide write him a note two days ago letting him know he was setting up a blind close to where my buddy was hunting. Almost right on top of him. Talk about inconsiderate and especially coming from a "guide". There are literally thousands upon thousands of acres wide open to sportsmen here and this clown pulls a stunt like that.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666583
11/15/19 02:11 PM
11/15/19 02:11 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
Originally Posted by strike2x
Today is opening day for rifle deer season and I had to check traps like any other day. Only problem was I had 3 different trails that some deer hunters thought would be good parking spots. I made it past 2 of them in the little Jeep and bad to drive around t to a different entrance to get to my other sets. I don't set traps in what I call parking areas in consideration of other sportsman. I wish they all would think about how what they do may effect others. The one guy was sitting in a chair about 100 yards from his truck on the side of the trail. I almost went back and asked him to move it but I was considerate and drove around. Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I do hunt also, just didn't today because of work but I don't block others travelways. How was your morning.

I can imagine this guy on some hunting site venting about the stupid jerk that went around his parked vehicle and completely wrecked his opening day hunt. SEE, it works both ways. Give a little, take a little.

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666612
11/15/19 02:51 PM
11/15/19 02:51 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Its the same everywhere. Dealing with it on the land we deer hunt on. It's only 60 acres and the owner lives on about 3/4 an acre of it. There are 3 of us bow hunting it , myself, brother, and dad. Come gun season there is 5 of us adding my sister and my son. About every 3 years the owner gives another person permission to bow hunt. It's all fine the first season but by season 2 they have figures out we have stands at the best spots and they start creeping closer and closer. The extra guy in there now has a blind exactly where my sister finished off the a doe last season, which puts him under 70 yards from her stand. He also put a stand up within 80 yards of mine and my sons stand.

The problem really is the land owner doesnt realize 60 acres with 3 people already bow hunting is already crowded, add a 4th person who is not related and is an antler hunter and it's way to close for comfort. We have hunted this woods for 20 years, and this makes the 4th person that has decided to scout by finding our stands.

The owner is just too nice to tell some one no. We have offered to lease it in the past, but he did not want to. Think this off season we are going to offer again.

The two worst guys to have permission in the past. I hunted from a climber for years from the same tree, one fellow who only gun hunted ran in during september and put ladder stand in the tree, because he had watched me for 2 seasons.

Then another guy hunted one season and then the next he put stands up within 40 yards of every stand we had. Our stands stay up year round so he couldnt say they werent there.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Chuckles84] #6666641
11/15/19 03:13 PM
11/15/19 03:13 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I have nothing against hunting. I like to hunt. But recently a guy on a Maine Facebook page was astonished as some outlandish behavior of another outdoorsman. I do not even remember what it was. I made a comment that there are not many good sportsman or should I say well behaved ones. Several were shocked at that comment.
I can only assume they have not spent much time in the woods. Once hunting season starts it always changes how you go about trapping and almost always entails stories like the one shared above. People on the whole are inconsiderate dolts. Hate to say it but it is true. From jumping in your pocket and trying to fly fish the same hole, to setting pretty near beside you on a deer run, to blocking roads and trails, to stealing fur and traps, to blocking roads with trees, you name, it is done. I am always glad when hunting ends.
The guy that goes out, and actually hunts is too busy to bother you. The real hunters are fine sportsman. I love it when you are setting a trap on a land where you have permission and a pair or more of hunters walks up to a nice coyote set and starts asking what you are doing. One year a landowner that was of advanced age asked me to check on a tree stand someone had put up on his land that he had heard about. I checked, found the name and asked the hunter to please move it by request of the land owner. He took it down, moved to the other side of the barb wire fence and was still looking at the same country but at least he did move it. Oh, he was a supposedly well respected law enforcement dude in the area. People have little respect for others and are just out for themselves. Too many do not think of their actions and how eventually it will reflect on hunting, fishing and trapping.

Mac

Last edited by Mac; 11/15/19 03:16 PM.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666658
11/15/19 03:32 PM
11/15/19 03:32 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
It comes down to I don't really want that deer but I surely don't want that guy over there to get it, BOOM! LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666699
11/15/19 04:47 PM
11/15/19 04:47 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
I talk to frustrated landowners every year who complain about the lack of ethics of the so called sportsman that they deal with, shooting to close to buildings/cattle, trespassing, not closing gates and etc.
We have come to the conclusion that the trouble causers are actually a small percentage of hunters as they are always having to search our new places to hunt as they get kicked off wherever they have been hunting due to their actions.
They don’t have interactions with the good sportsman as they have developed good relationships and aren’t bouncing from spot to spot or having trespass to do their hunting.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666710
11/15/19 05:01 PM
11/15/19 05:01 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I figure I'm about the strongest advocate for hunting, fishing, and trapping, that there is. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there is at least an element (and, sorry, that element may even be in the majority nowadays) on the public land each and every year that is extremely ethics-free. They have no ethics. Leaving gates not as they found them. Leaving piles of trash. Running 4-wheelers absolutely everywhere, even on marked CLOSED roads. Poor (illegal) salvage of deer/elk meat. The list goes on and on. We have hundreds of nonresident hunters blast by our place every fall headed for the BLM and Forest Service public land. We no longer enjoy the season, simply due to the unethical, disrespectful dolts that call themselves hunters.

Sorry for the rant, but if we don't clean up our act and start showing a little respect for the land, the animals, and the landowners/land managers, I'm afraid we're going to lose it.

Jack

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Gulo] #6666741
11/15/19 05:50 PM
11/15/19 05:50 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I here you Jack. I have fished, hunted and trapped since I was a teenager and that was a lot darn time ago. Every time I am out I try to make sure I am not going to be the one a poster that says "You can thank this guy for ruining it!"
Not saying I was a saint when I was a kid but by the time I was in my late teens I knew there was nothing I would rather do than trap, and hunting and fishing were not far behind. I just do not want to ruin it. So many folks today have low or no morals and just plain do not care about other peoples land. I have trapped on some of the same land since 1968 and 69. Treat peoples land right and it pays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread