No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Gulo] #6666747
11/15/19 06:00 PM
11/15/19 06:00 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Gulo
I figure I'm about the strongest advocate for hunting, fishing, and trapping, that there is. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there is at least an element (and, sorry, that element may even be in the majority nowadays) on the public land each and every year that is extremely ethics-free. They have no ethics. Leaving gates not as they found them. Leaving piles of trash. Running 4-wheelers absolutely everywhere, even on marked CLOSED roads. Poor (illegal) salvage of deer/elk meat. The list goes on and on. We have hundreds of nonresident hunters blast by our place every fall headed for the BLM and Forest Service public land. We no longer enjoy the season, simply due to the unethical, disrespectful dolts that call themselves hunters.

Sorry for the rant, but if we don't clean up our act and start showing a little respect for the land, the animals, and the landowners/land managers, I'm afraid we're going to lose it.

Jack

AMEN ! I'd love to see 4 wheelers and UTV's banned on public land. They are worse than cattle !

Mean As Nails
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666755
11/15/19 06:07 PM
11/15/19 06:07 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Hunters here are pretty good bunch for the most part.There is a lot of space up here and you don't need to step on anyones toes when you get out there.
The worst is closer to towns when slobs dump old appliances,old tires and just junk off the logging roads.A lot of trappers spend time on their traplines picking up and hauling this stuff out of the bush and to a landfill.Often Trapping councils will get together and do a several day cleanup of the worst places.once or twice a year.The worst places for this is around the bigger towns like Timmins.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666795
11/15/19 07:20 PM
11/15/19 07:20 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline OP
trapper
strike2x  Offline OP
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I was on a rant this morning. I agree that there are a lot of inconsiderate people on public land. I just try not to be one of them. I called the end to report these guys but we only have 2 officers for our county and I am sure they didn't hear right there to evaluate the situation. I have to go the same places tomorrow morning and I would almost bet the same vehicles will be in the same spots. Maybe I will wait until noon.....just So I don't ruin their hunt...

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: garart] #6666810
11/15/19 07:35 PM
11/15/19 07:35 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by garart
We get a lot of this going on around here during bear and gun deer season. It most often ends up being someone from downstate or out of state, pulling this crap, on public land. The cure for it is reporting it! This is illegal in the state of Michigan, but if you don't report it you are condoning this type of behavior. Gary.

I would dispute your assertion that it often ends up being outsiders.The locals often have a "I was born here therefore I'm entitled "attitude.And if that is the case I'd be careful about pushing things.Unless you like retaliation.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6666812
11/15/19 07:36 PM
11/15/19 07:36 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
There are a lot of inconsiderate slobs out there. The upside to that is that when I show respect to landowners who are kind enough to give me permission to hunt and trap on their property they tend to think it's really special. It's not, it's just common courtesy to stop by and chat once and a while, to send thank-you letters at the end of each season, to ask permission each and every year even though many have told me it's not necessary and, above all, respect the land; gates as you found them, no trash, etc.

Eh...wot?

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667113
11/16/19 05:59 AM
11/16/19 05:59 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Road hunters is what really gets me (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). They ride around on the roads just at that right time in the morning or late afternoon. It’s mostly private land and they do not have permission to hunt it, but that doesn’t stop them from shooting a deer out the truck window. That’s why I only hunt my private land, the public lands of the Adirondacks, and the core of the Tug Hill Plateau. I can hunt all season and not encounter another hunter.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667142
11/16/19 07:52 AM
11/16/19 07:52 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland

55854602-3E47-42BC-B2D6-7F68796D7481.jpeg

-Goofy-
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: white17] #6667178
11/16/19 08:46 AM
11/16/19 08:46 AM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Gulo
I figure I'm about the strongest advocate for hunting, fishing, and trapping, that there is. However, there is no doubt in my mind that there is at least an element (and, sorry, that element may even be in the majority nowadays) on the public land each and every year that is extremely ethics-free. They have no ethics. Leaving gates not as they found them. Leaving piles of trash. Running 4-wheelers absolutely everywhere, even on marked CLOSED roads. Poor (illegal) salvage of deer/elk meat. The list goes on and on. We have hundreds of nonresident hunters blast by our place every fall headed for the BLM and Forest Service public land. We no longer enjoy the season, simply due to the unethical, disrespectful dolts that call themselves hunters.

Sorry for the rant, but if we don't clean up our act and start showing a little respect for the land, the animals, and the landowners/land managers, I'm afraid we're going to lose it.

Jack

AMEN ! I'd love to see 4 wheelers and UTV's banned on public land. They are worse than cattle !

I take it snow machines are ok

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Lugnut] #6667190
11/16/19 09:09 AM
11/16/19 09:09 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

[quote=Lugnut]There are a lot of inconsiderate slobs out there. The upside to that is that when I show respect to landowners who are kind enough to give me permission to hunt and trap on their property they tend to think it's really special. It's not, it's just common courtesy to stop by and chat once and a while, to send thank-you letters at the end of each season, to ask permission each and every year even though many have told me it's not necessary and, above all, respect the land; gates as you found them, no trash, etc.

Lugnut, great points. Are we under the assumption that there are people groups that consist of only saints? Nope. But we can be the "odd" one that respects, shows ethics, etc. We can't control others, although we want to at times, but we can sure determine what we do. And do it.

I picked up a new ranch last year, and I had a bit of time in the afternoon after checking traps, so I decided to pick up all the trash in a one mile stretch along the county road that ran along one side of the ranch I was trapping on. It took me until dark and when I got done, I couldn't believe all the junk I had piled high in the back of my buggy. But I got it all picked up, just the way I'd have it done if it were my place.

I took a quick picture with my phone, and texted it to the owner, who lived off property. He called me right back and he couldn't believe I'd taken time to do that. He told me I was the 8th trapper he'd had on the place in over 20 years and no one had ever done something so respectful for him. He said he would pay me for the effort, and I told him I wouldn't accept the money because that's not why I did it. He told me, "Everybody is always after me for money! You don't want more than I'm already paying you cause you spent hours looking after my place?" I told him, "Nope, but thanks. Just part of it sir." He said, "Well then you're hired forever because that tells me what kind of man you are. And by the way, I want you to pack out of the maintenance shack we've got you bunking in, and I want you to come up to the main house and stay there." I told him thanks, but I was fine where I was at. Liked it actually. He told me, "You're different than any other trapper I've had, that's for sure. And that's a good thing by the way. By the way, you don't cuss much." I told him, "Well, I try not too. But I have been known to kick a little when I miss a coyote by an inch!"

Mr. John and I have become very good friends in a short amount of time. When we do to others as we would have done to us, they see our truer colors a bit better.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667212
11/16/19 09:54 AM
11/16/19 09:54 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
As Mr John pointed out, Mark, you are the rare exception rather than the rule (which is a disappointment).

I trap mostly public land. One of my routes snakes through a private inholding, and the ranch owner always allows me access. He caught me a couple years ago coming off the public land, and always stops to chat. He noticed that my truck bed was half-filled with garbage and asked about it. I said that I always pick up where the elk/deer hunters have camped, and this was just today's findings. He was almost speechless. He walked around my truck and took a picture, then noticed a fencing hammer and a bucket of staples and asked if I was responsible for fixing the fence up on the east fork. I admitted it, and he just shook his head and said, "I thought pretty much every truck up this road was driven by an %#&*, and you've made me re-think that feeling. Thanks."

Jack

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Boco] #6667250
11/16/19 10:30 AM
11/16/19 10:30 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Boco
Hunters here are pretty good bunch for the most part.There is a lot of space up here and you don't need to step on anyones toes when you get out there.
The worst is closer to towns when slobs dump old appliances,old tires and just junk off the logging roads.A lot of trappers spend time on their traplines picking up and hauling this stuff out of the bush and to a landfill.Often Trapping councils will get together and do a several day cleanup of the worst places.once or twice a year.The worst places for this is around the bigger towns like Timmins.

Boco you just described the reservations here to a T. Junk everywhere along the roads particularly underneath the native pride signs. And these are my peeps?
I have a two mile long driveway, extremely well posted with two lockable gates also well posted. I’m keeping them unlocked currently for the loggers. The other night after dark nearly up to the lodge I ran out two guys poaching out of a shiney red dually. It’s crazy these days.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 11/16/19 10:31 AM.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667266
11/16/19 11:10 AM
11/16/19 11:10 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I was stalking an antelope on a piece of public land. I was about 150 yards away hoping they would feed closer (archery hunting). As I am waiting two guys come into the field and started stalking the same antelope and trying to decoy them in, they were no more than 100 yards from me trying to get the same antelope I had been hunting for a couple hours. After they successfully scared the antelope away they left... I just sat there the whole time amazed someone could be so inconsiderate. There is no doubt they saw me before starting their own stalk.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: ] #6667290
11/16/19 11:49 AM
11/16/19 11:49 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by Lugnut
There are a lot of inconsiderate slobs out there. The upside to that is that when I show respect to landowners who are kind enough to give me permission to hunt and trap on their property they tend to think it's really special. It's not, it's just common courtesy to stop by and chat once and a while, to send thank-you letters at the end of each season, to ask permission each and every year even though many have told me it's not necessary and, above all, respect the land; gates as you found them, no trash, etc.

Lugnut, great points. Are we under the assumption that there are people groups that consist of only saints? Nope. But we can be the "odd" one that respects, shows ethics, etc. We can't control others, although we want to at times, but we can sure determine what we do. And do it.

I picked up a new ranch last year, and I had a bit of time in the afternoon after checking traps, so I decided to pick up all the trash in a one mile stretch along the county road that ran along one side of the ranch I was trapping on. It took me until dark and when I got done, I couldn't believe all the junk I had piled high in the back of my buggy. But I got it all picked up, just the way I'd have it done if it were my place.

I took a quick picture with my phone, and texted it to the owner, who lived off property. He called me right back and he couldn't believe I'd taken time to do that. He told me I was the 8th trapper he'd had on the place in over 20 years and no one had ever done something so respectful for him. He said he would pay me for the effort, and I told him I wouldn't accept the money because that's not why I did it. He told me, "Everybody is always after me for money! You don't want more than I'm already paying you cause you spent hours looking after my place?" I told him, "Nope, but thanks. Just part of it sir." He said, "Well then you're hired forever because that tells me what kind of man you are. And by the way, I want you to pack out of the maintenance shack we've got you bunking in, and I want you to come up to the main house and stay there." I told him thanks, but I was fine where I was at. Liked it actually. He told me, "You're different than any other trapper I've had, that's for sure. And that's a good thing by the way. By the way, you don't cuss much." I told him, "Well, I try not too. But I have been known to kick a little when I miss a coyote by an inch!"

Mr. John and I have become very good friends in a short amount of time. When we do to others as we would have done to us, they see our truer colors a bit better.

A little respect goes a long way. Many of the landowners of the properties I hunt and trap will call me to see if I'm trapping there this season when I'm late asking permissions (like this year). One guy holds off plowing a large pumpkin patch because I told him the three lanes running through it concentrated fox movement. He even planted a twenty-foot wide patch of corn between the pumpkin patch and the edge of the road and leaves it stand to hide my catches from the road. I never ask him to do that, but during one of our conversations, I was lamenting having to set in a swale to hide my catches from prying eyes and the next year he started with the corn strip.

I doubt they'd do stuff like that for disrespectful slobs.

Eh...wot?

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: beartooth trapr] #6667312
11/16/19 12:32 PM
11/16/19 12:32 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
Originally Posted by white17

I take it snow machines are ok

There's a world of difference between the damage wheeled vehicles cause and a track mark in the snow.

The snow machine tracks are gone in the spring. 4 wheeler trails just get worse every year with repeated use. They also contribute to new trails off at angle to the existing one. Soon there is an entire road system developed and the erosion gets worse. The next thing we see is shacks and permanent camps along those 'road systems'.

Not only is erosion a real problem, but areas that served as refuges for game populations become accessible as people push further into those areas.

Mean As Nails
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667320
11/16/19 12:50 PM
11/16/19 12:50 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Indeed .

Some of the worst encounters I have had are from dirt bikers, and 4 wheeler drivers approaching me as I am on horseback. And trash is not just items strewn along the ground....it also comes in the form of noise pollution from revving engines with no mufflers.

A very few do respect ethics and behave in considerate fashion when they see me , conducting themselves properly around horsemen , though very few.

In hunting season, I am always very careful where I go , in consideration of others , and my own safety.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: Sharon] #6667322
11/16/19 12:53 PM
11/16/19 12:53 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Sharon
Indeed .

Some of the worst encounters I have had are from dirt bikers, and 4 wheeler drivers approaching me as I am on horseback. And trash is not just items strewn along the ground....it also comes in the form of noise pollution from revving engines with no mufflers.

A very few do respect ethics and behave in considerate fashion when they see me , conducting themselves properly around horsemen , though very few.

In hunting season, I am always very careful where I go , in consideration of others , and my own safety.

Agreed.
Ms Sharon isn’t it about time for you to be showing us another nice mountain buck youve harvested?

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667324
11/16/19 12:55 PM
11/16/19 12:55 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Not a lot of tolerance here.

Speaking of horses; I once followed a horse trail up the Yanert River on foot and every camp along it was littered with trash. Maybe it was us foot guys? blush

Who is John Galt?
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: ] #6667325
11/16/19 12:58 PM
11/16/19 12:58 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted by Rubee
Some park that way to block the two track from competition I believe.

That was my thought too

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667340
11/16/19 01:37 PM
11/16/19 01:37 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Osky, I'm undecided this season .

The first "found" cases of CWD have been reported to the north , the first of several confirmed, this far into the north west regions . The perimeter line F&G logged around the core site ends a mountain ridge away from where I go . A moose was just reported with it a few days ago.

Yes I can send samples in for free testing, I'm just trying to absorb this right now, and I am undecided. I still can get a license , the chasing phase is revving up more and more. I'm seeing a number of younger bucks and some older . I may sit this one out and observe the results , though I just can see myself muttering expressions if I see a nice one , with no tag at the ready .

Dirt, everyone needs to watch their 6 and clean up after themselves . No excuse , packing in stuff on large critters that can carry it all, but not packing it all out.

Re: Inconsiderate hunters. [Re: strike2x] #6667432
11/16/19 04:25 PM
11/16/19 04:25 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Hunting Gov land once I found a guy sitting on the log in MY ground blind. I just went about 50 yds further down the ridge, and slapped together another and shot a nice Buck. He ran and dropped right in front of the old blind, where I proceeded to field dress it right there, flinging bit's of this and that on the brush and left a gut pile 10 ft in front of him. Never saw him again.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread