No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Home made trapping pack #6668197
11/17/19 01:40 PM
11/17/19 01:40 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Post pictures please

I think I'm about to try my hand at it. But I want to cross it with a survival pack.

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6668200
11/17/19 01:49 PM
11/17/19 01:49 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd like to combine these concepts into one pack that would be ok for hiking, camping, and trapping while using natural and easily to come by material that is easy to repeat in ho!e.

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6669231
11/18/19 06:26 PM
11/18/19 06:26 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Here it goes

1st one in the making

[Linked Image]

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6669240
11/18/19 06:34 PM
11/18/19 06:34 PM
New Mexico
J
JustinEllisNM Offline
trapper
JustinEllisNM  Offline
trapper
J

New Mexico
Made my own by taking an old LL Bean backpack, cutting the front of the main pouch out (Basically left the sides with pouches and the bottom), and the lid out. Then I inserted a 5Gal bucket where the main pouch would have been and secured it with spray adhesive and very short sheet metal screws. Created a couple loops inside the bucket for my hammer, pliers, etc.

I'll try and post some pics later.

So far I have been very happy with it.
Not the prettiest thing in the world, but darn efficient.

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6669245
11/18/19 06:35 PM
11/18/19 06:35 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
What are some must haves in a trapping pack? For intended use of just trapping!

What are some must haves for a hiking/survival pack?

Last edited by brianmall; 11/18/19 06:36 PM.
Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6669930
11/19/19 02:01 PM
11/19/19 02:01 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
[Linked Image]
This is the one I made I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Free trashcan free backpack straps, all I payed for was the bolts. It works well stays flexible in the cold, and has lasted 3 seasons so far.

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: JustinEllisNM] #6669938
11/19/19 02:07 PM
11/19/19 02:07 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by JustinEllisNM
Made my own by taking an old LL Bean backpack, cutting the front of the main pouch out (Basically left the sides with pouches and the bottom), and the lid out. Then I inserted a 5Gal bucket where the main pouch would have been and secured it with spray adhesive and very short sheet metal screws. Created a couple loops inside the bucket for my hammer, pliers, etc.

I'll try and post some pics later.

So far I have been very happy with it.
Not the prettiest thing in the world, but darn efficient.

Everybody just for reference , thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation army have a nice selection of backpacks for very affordable prices .

NRA benefactor member
Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: loosegoose] #6679561
11/30/19 10:26 AM
11/30/19 10:26 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by loosegoose
[Linked Image]
This is the one I made I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Free trashcan free backpack straps, all I payed for was the bolts. It works well stays flexible in the cold, and has lasted 3 seasons so far.

Will take a little from this idea

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6679566
11/30/19 10:31 AM
11/30/19 10:31 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kids all made one today. I collect the cat litter buckets off my trash routes. Use them for several different things from used oil to chicken coop. Now trapping packs!

Can't finish until I get some para cord. Get this all worked out and I'll start buying accessories for them. Poncho, sleeping equip, etc...

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6679579
11/30/19 10:39 AM
11/30/19 10:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If you want your kids to enjoy backpacking break out your checkbook and buy them good packs. Ones that fit so you can hike all day without getting raw spots and a back ache. Walking a few hundred yards on a trap line is one thing but a backpack/camping trip will not be fun with improvised stuff.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: danny clifton] #6679588
11/30/19 10:51 AM
11/30/19 10:51 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
If you want your kids to enjoy backpacking break out your checkbook and buy them good packs. Ones that fit so you can hike all day without getting raw spots and a back ache. Walking a few hundred yards on a trap line is one thing but a backpack/camping trip will not be fun with improvised stuff.

Lol

Na

Had a blast today just hanging out. Cutting, building, etc...

I've done some packing. And I'll tell ya that if you put a little effort into these that they are comfortable. Maybe not with a 90 pound load? But carrying around a trapper bucket etc...

They will beat what you can bu!

Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: brianmall] #6679603
11/30/19 11:07 AM
11/30/19 11:07 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I took my soon backpacking for the first time in CO. H e was 7. Had a little trouble at school when I told them I was taking him out for a week and I needed his work so I could keep him caught up. They said they couldn't allow me to do that, so I explained I wasn't there for permission, I just needed to know what I should have him doing. I let him carry a 22 rifle and his sleeping bag. We were going deer hunting. Hiked about 7 miles into a spring. Wore him out. Took it slow though and averaged about a mile an hour. That night it snowed about a foot. I left him in his bag in the little pup tent we brought while I built a fire , made hot tea and breakfast. I was really worried I had ruined him for backpacking. One of both of us's fondest memories. We didn't leave camp till that afternoon. Snow melted some. I pushed a buck out of its bed by rolling rocks down off a ridge. He ran up the opposite side and stopped. I told Mike there is supper and dropped it. Was getting pretty dark when we got back to camp and that back strap was wonderful. My uncle drove a 4 wheeler up there the next day to check on us and hauled our meat back out. Anyway I just think the more comfortable you make kids when you start taking them outside the more likely it is they will enjoy it and keep doing it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Home made trapping pack [Re: danny clifton] #6679778
11/30/19 03:27 PM
11/30/19 03:27 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I took my soon backpacking for the first time in CO. H e was 7. Had a little trouble at school when I told them I was taking him out for a week and I needed his work so I could keep him caught up. They said they couldn't allow me to do that, so I explained I wasn't there for permission, I just needed to know what I should have him doing. I let him carry a 22 rifle and his sleeping bag. We were going deer hunting. Hiked about 7 miles into a spring. Wore him out. Took it slow though and averaged about a mile an hour. That night it snowed about a foot. I left him in his bag in the little pup tent we brought while I built a fire , made hot tea and breakfast. I was really worried I had ruined him for backpacking. One of both of us's fondest memories. We didn't leave camp till that afternoon. Snow melted some. I pushed a buck out of its bed by rolling rocks down off a ridge. He ran up the opposite side and stopped. I told Mike there is supper and dropped it. Was getting pretty dark when we got back to camp and that back strap was wonderful. My uncle drove a 4 wheeler up there the next day to check on us and hauled our meat back out. Anyway I just think the more comfortable you make kids when you start taking them outside the more likely it is they will enjoy it and keep doing it.

Came back glowing didn't he!?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread