No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ditching tree stand. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6669665
11/19/19 08:30 AM
11/19/19 08:30 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
They have good points and bad points. Something similar gained in popularity quite a few years ago but died out quickly. I am surprised to see them making a comeback, but it's mostly because the Hunting Public (the hottest thing in hunting these days) are using them and people are hanging on their every word and attempting to copy everything they do.

I would think it's difficult to shoot a bow from one, both because of the stability aspect and the drawing of the bow with stuff in your way. It really doesn't look either safe or comfortable to me. It will be interesting to see if this new popularity is sustainable. Personally I doubt it.

Re: Ditching tree stand. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6669689
11/19/19 08:50 AM
11/19/19 08:50 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Well, I watched the video, think my Summit Viper is working just fine.

Re: Ditching tree stand. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6669718
11/19/19 09:21 AM
11/19/19 09:21 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Since I can remember up here still hunters did plenty good for deer. Move easy, into the wind, a spot looks or for some reason feels good sit on a stump or cross log for 20 minutes, listen, move on. Sometimes cut fresh doe tracks back off and wait. In this thick country patience can work very well. We do have tree stands as well.
Still hunting here works better up here from about now on, as most deer hunters have been successful or given up and cleared out.

I notice not many talk about walking deer down anymore? Bring some snacks and water and get on a fresh track in the snow,first thing and keep on it. Stay sharp and after time you will catch them looking. Works best when things are frozen up so you can cross the water areas better.

All this being said I do have solid stands up here as well.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Ditching tree stand. [Re: Osky] #6669724
11/19/19 09:25 AM
11/19/19 09:25 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by Osky
Since I can remember up here still hunters did plenty good for deer. Move easy, into the wind, a spot looks or for some reason feels good sit on a stump or cross log for 20 minutes, listen, move on. Sometimes cut fresh doe tracks back off and wait. In this thick country patience can work very well. We do have tree stands as well.
Still hunting here works better up here from about now on, as most deer hunters have been successful or given up and cleared out.

I notice not many talk about walking deer down anymore? Bring some snacks and water and get on a fresh track in the snow,first thing and keep on it. Stay sharp and after time you will catch them looking. Works best when things are frozen up so you can cross the water areas better.

All this being said I do have solid stands up here as well.

Osky

You need a lot of country to walk down a deer. Not going to happen in most of southern WI. I'd need permission from dozens of landowners to even walk a few miles cross country.

I'd love to have the option though.

Re: Ditching tree stand. [Re: w side rd 151] #6669745
11/19/19 09:39 AM
11/19/19 09:39 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
More than 20 years ago already there was something similar .I think it was called a Tree Sling .I had one but it was not something I want to spend hours at a time using . My biggest problem was always deciding which side of the tree the deer would go by on .If I guessed wrong I was always set up wrong to get a shot at the deer

You'll never eliminate that problem unless you build a shooting house or tree house.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread