No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6671959
11/21/19 06:38 PM
11/21/19 06:38 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I write “memorable” stories in my notes section on my phone and print them out and keep them in a folder marked “Dads Life”. Been doing this for many years now. I also take hundreds of pics which are kept dated in an app on the phone as well.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 11/21/19 06:39 PM.
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6671966
11/21/19 06:47 PM
11/21/19 06:47 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I've scribbled detailed notes in journal for 50 years. Am currently trying to go through those journals and match the stories up with pictures (mostly 2x2 transparencies) and put together a book. Mostly trapping, but a lot of fishing and hunting as well. It's been fun, and wouldn't be possible without the detailed journal. I still try to write in the journals daily.

Jack

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672010
11/21/19 07:39 PM
11/21/19 07:39 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
I write down everything. Daily log, fishing log, hunting log and trapping log.
It's what I like to do. You wouldn't know it by the short replays I post, but it is hard to type on a phone.
I started keeping daily log over 30 years ago. I can go back to jobs I've done and find an answer to a problem that I've delt with before but forget the fix to it.
And my grandkids might enjoy them.

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: wetdog] #6672036
11/21/19 08:07 PM
11/21/19 08:07 PM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
Since Jan. 1968 when I was 15. So come this Jan. that will be 52 years. Before I go to the Happy HTF ground want some eyesight, hands, about a year of time and other sufficient health to write it all up and throw in some pic's. Only HTF and other outdoor stuff in it. Everything from polar bears and whales to mice and bugs.

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672047
11/21/19 08:21 PM
11/21/19 08:21 PM
N.Y.,E. Adks
TRADER TUT Offline
trapper
TRADER TUT  Offline
trapper

N.Y.,E. Adks
When I started my first job working for NYSCD 1967 I did a daily journal nightly . As a CYA thing. This became habit thru life. Not so much in full retirement last 3 yrs. Have been keeping weather log here +/- 50 yrs. veeerrry interesting data to look back at. Started a log "Nature I Have Seen or Heard" with grand kids to get them to be much more aware of nature . I am still keeping mine 10 yrs later. Nice ref. when talking with others. Tut

I Farm The Forest
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672054
11/21/19 08:29 PM
11/21/19 08:29 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I keep a season journal at London Lure ATT as I'm trapping during the season and add related ADC issues that come up.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672238
11/21/19 11:38 PM
11/21/19 11:38 PM
Indiana
Siegs Offline
trapper
Siegs  Offline
trapper

Indiana
I created my own Trapping Log sheets and I just print some out when I need them. I'll post a picture of what they look like. If anyone would like a copy of the file, pm me and I can forward it to you.

-Bryce
[Linked Image]

-Bryce
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672302
11/22/19 01:26 AM
11/22/19 01:26 AM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
I will be starting one this year. I think it will mostly be of me just rambling off thoughts and details about the day...

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: Lugnut] #6672451
11/22/19 09:52 AM
11/22/19 09:52 AM
Wisconsin
lindner115 Offline
trapper
lindner115  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by COMuleman
I keep a daily journal of whatever I do. Have been doing it for almost 2 years now. Does anyone else keep a journal, especially while trapping and hunting or am I the only one? I’ve always thought that it would be neat to look back as I get older and see what happened and look at habits and patterns of the animals.

I've kept a hunting/trapping/fishing journal since I was about ten years old.

I also keep a journal at camp and everybody is required to make at least one signed, dated entry per stay.

We do the same thing at our trailer up northern WI. It's not much but an old job shack converted to a place to lay your head. But we have a book we have everyone sign when they stay. Its a lot of fun to look back and read some of the entries. I know i've got to read some of them to remember just what we did, if you know what i mean. lol.

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672474
11/22/19 10:12 AM
11/22/19 10:12 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I've never kept a actual journal, I do keep notes on trap line. It's only way I can keep track of set locations especially when start moving things couple days in.. My mother kept a journal of sorts and I never really knew that until she passed. I always thought it was just a list of sorts for the day she was writing. But she had years worth of those notes with simple descriptions of some daily events.. Which of us boys lost a tooth or crashed our bike etc..
My younger brother has kept a hunting journal since the 70s.. Is interesting how many times he has brought it out.. Then settled a discussion about who shot what deer, weather, when, where, time, lot of times even down to what gun was used.
I've always been to ADD to sit at end of day write things down. I make daily list/notes now to remember things, But I even loose those or run them threw the washing machine. Believe it or not if I lay them on small table by my chair and walk away. The old dog steals them and eat them..kind of like the old excuse dog ate my home work..If I want that note back got to pick it out of the pile next day. I usually just make a new one.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: lindner115] #6672512
11/22/19 10:55 AM
11/22/19 10:55 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by lindner115
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've kept a hunting/trapping/fishing journal since I was about ten years old.

I also keep a journal at camp and everybody is required to make at least one signed, dated entry per stay.

We do the same thing at our trailer up northern WI. It's not much but an old job shack converted to a place to lay your head. But we have a book we have everyone sign when they stay. Its a lot of fun to look back and read some of the entries. I know i've got to read some of them to remember just what we did, if you know what i mean. lol.

It took almost twenty years to fill the first one (400 pages). As much as I would have liked to leave it at camp (because members, guests and myself love paging back through the entries), it is just too valuable, too many old memories and writings from old, dear friends, to risk something happening to it. About two years after we started a new one I brought this one home for safekeeping.

I've been paging through it just now and what memories it brings back. Entries from my now grown children when they were young and participating in youth hunts and all excited about the little things. Entries from camp members and guests no longer alive and just a ton of good times.

[Linked Image]

Eh...wot?

Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: Lugnut] #6672612
11/22/19 01:04 PM
11/22/19 01:04 PM
Wisconsin
lindner115 Offline
trapper
lindner115  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin

[/quote]

It took almost twenty years to fill the first one (400 pages). As much as I would have liked to leave it at camp (because members, guests and myself love paging back through the entries), it is just too valuable, too many old memories and writings from old, dear friends, to risk something happening to it. About two years after we started a new one I brought this one home for safekeeping.

I've been paging through it just now and what memories it brings back. Entries from my now grown children when they were young and participating in youth hunts and all excited about the little things. Entries from camp members and guests no longer alive and just a ton of good times.

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Very cool. Tomorrow is our WI deer opener. I've got a 9 year old thats yelled to me the last two nights while i was going to bed...... Dad i cant sleep, i remember those days. I just hope that generations down the road can have those same sleepless nights.

Last edited by lindner115; 11/22/19 01:05 PM.
Re: Anyone keep a journal? [Re: COMuleman] #6672619
11/22/19 01:21 PM
11/22/19 01:21 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Yes. I was just reading some of it. I forgot all the rough times on the line. Seems like endless, trail cutting/ breaking, overflow, and sno-go problems. frown

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread