Today was typical on my line. Lots of miles and a handful of beavers. It got up to around 67 degrees, started off cloudy and turned sunny.
Drove 72 miles to my first site.
I have taken all the beavers out of this site except one. It wouldn't come to anything, and it wouldn't respond to a break in the dam. Monday opened this dam up to pretty much drain the place. Tuesday there was a small patch in the break. I made a dam break set on Tuesday where the patch was. Wednesday there was no action, Thursday there was no action, but finally it came back last night and I was fortunate to get this last one.
Drove 4 miles to the next site on this same tract.
I set a snare in this trench made in front of the riser. The beavers have been using it to go through the pipe. The beaver got wrapped up beside the pipe. You can see the pigtail of the snare left where I cut it. This should be the last beaver here also. I'm hoping so anyway.
Drove 43 miles to the next site.
I had made two crackerjack lured sets here yesterday, and I just knew I'd connect. There was beaver sign everywhere. They have a good size lodge and lots of water because the pipe is plugged.
However, when I checked the sets today, they were untouched. I did some more looking around and found what looked like a #3 Duke wired to a metal stake. I didn't touch it. It looks like someone from the hunt club has been educating the beavers. This is going to be a tough one, I think. Time for footholds and blind sets.
Drove 2 miles to the next site on the same tract.
Make two sets yesterday, but only this one connected. I used a curiosity lure to draw it in.
Drove 26 miles to the next site.
The beavers have a 48 inch pipe plugged up. The pipe is about 6' down. I'm standing on the logging road taking the picture and the water is right up to the road. The water is about 2' deep out in the pine plantation.
I had a snare knocked down by an otter and a beaver in the body grip at the next set.
Drove 41 miles to the next set and it was empty.
I think I have all the beavers from this site, but not sure. I put a hole in the dam in the riser to find out if it will get repaired.
Drove 101 miles home. Total miles for the day - 289. That's why the Yota now has 661,000 miles on it - lol.
Here's today's catch. Not a big catch, but a lot of miles. Note the blue bucket in the back in case I need to make that famous blue bucket set.