No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6674063
11/24/19 01:04 AM
11/24/19 01:04 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I don’t know about their mama, but all mine had to do was give me that look. lol

Great point, well said!
After reading all of these posts, I was trying to put my thoughts together in such a way as to convey what you just posted, only with a bunch of unnecessarily wordy words, and complex, multifaceted nuances in an attempt to impress only myself.
No need. You nailed it.
A parent beaver knows and recognizes its family members as well as they recognize themselves, most likely by smell.
No need to bite them (unless they acted like I did when I didn't listen to my mom).

Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674086
11/24/19 05:07 AM
11/24/19 05:07 AM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I've always been told that mama beaver drives off the two year olds when she's fixing to have another litter. I've often wondered how they do that. Most of the two year olds I catch don't have a mark on them. The ones that are cut up, I figure had to pass through an existing beaver's domain and the residents didn't think to kindly of the intruders. Now if mama doesn't attack them, how does she drive them off?

I'm wondering if the two year olds have an instinctual need to leave at a certain time in their life, kinda like the ducks and geese know when to head south or north. Or like how salmon know where to go to spawn.

What do y'all think?

One thing I have found interesting is that a few times here and there I don’t think the two year olds get driven off. I have cleaned out colonies where there were three or more huge beaver living together.

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674090
11/24/19 06:05 AM
11/24/19 06:05 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
^^^ I have noticed the same thing once in a while. I thought maybe some of them were living nearby in bank dens, but sometimes there was no spot for a bank den and there was only one beaver house present.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674166
11/24/19 09:14 AM
11/24/19 09:14 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
This is a very interesting and educational thread.

Eh...wot?

Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: mink99] #6674261
11/24/19 11:21 AM
11/24/19 11:21 AM
NH
T
thebeaverguy Offline
trapper
thebeaverguy  Offline
trapper
T

NH
Originally Posted by mink99
I've always been told that mama beaver drives off the two year olds when she's fixing to have another litter. I've often wondered how they do that. Most of the two year olds I catch don't have a mark on them. The ones that are cut up, I figure had to pass through an existing beaver's domain and the residents didn't think to kindly of the intruders. Now if mama doesn't attack them, how does she drive them off?

I'm wondering if the two year olds have an instinctual need to leave at a certain time in their life, kinda like the ducks and geese know when to head south or north. Or like how salmon know where to go to spawn.

What do y'all think?

One thing I have found interesting is that a few times here and there I don’t think the two year olds get driven off. I have cleaned out colonies where there were three or more huge beaver living together.

I remember a colony where I caught 6 beavers and only one was a kit (about 15 lbs.) the others were all 35 lbs. or better. It was a pond on a small brook and had a single lodge. I don't remember any bank dens either.

As far as dispersal of young, I've caught kits in mink sets in places that had no sign anywhere nearby. Did they have wanderlust or were they just lost?

Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674318
11/24/19 12:22 PM
11/24/19 12:22 PM
West Central Iowa
4 Fur Offline
trapper
4 Fur  Offline
trapper

West Central Iowa

Most of the two year olds I catch don't have a mark on them. The ones that are cut up, I figure had to pass through an existing beaver's domain and the residents didn't think to kindly of the intruders. Now if mama doesn't attack them, how does she drive them off?

What do y'all think?

I am still going with the 2 year olds getting driven from the colony before the female gives birth but agree dispersal instinct could be a secondary factor. I don't think beaver often fight with their teeth. Has anyone ever caught a live beaver that would bite a stick? Or you? Caged and Hancock beaver I catch are usually very docile but an occasional adult will hiss and head butt the wire from the side I approach from. Never had one show their teeth. I think this aggressive behavior that Rally and 330 Trapper mentioned is all it takes for a 2 yr. old to feel unwelcome and leave the colony. Sure I've caught spring travelers that were severely damaged and I assume they were bitten up. But could it be sharp toe nails rather than bites? How many old scars on pelts are from close call escape damage from coyote, bobcat, birds of prey or even mechanical damage like submerge barbed wire, discarded broken cattle panels, etc.?

Life Member NTA, FHA and Iowa Trappers Association
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674358
11/24/19 01:26 PM
11/24/19 01:26 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I'm thinking they're typical teenagers... They don't wanna babysit their younger siblings for free... And mama says if you don't like it you know where the door is.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674708
11/24/19 09:11 PM
11/24/19 09:11 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
4Fur,
I can't tell you how many beaver I've skun, that had perfect chop marks in them, from beaver bites. I,ve also seen live beaver that drug one of my snare poles up on the ice, send wolves away bleeding. Usually the other way around, but if the beaver can get there back into the hole that hasn't frozen yet, they are all business and not an easy meal.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674785
11/24/19 10:44 PM
11/24/19 10:44 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Corner a beaver on land in the springtime and you will soon find out how aggressive they are-and fast.And yes,they can jump.

Last edited by Boco; 11/24/19 10:44 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674804
11/24/19 11:08 PM
11/24/19 11:08 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I have caught adults, two year olds, and yoy in isolated sub-alpine colonies where there wasn't really the possibility of the two year olds just wandering back and getting caught during the same season as the adults and yoy being caught. Maybe they were just driven off to a far corner of the colony.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6674823
11/24/19 11:32 PM
11/24/19 11:32 PM
Ohio
Minker Offline
trapper
Minker  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Instinct's tell them .

Fur Trapping ;
Its not about making Money, Its All about the Adventures you'll have on the Trapline .
Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6675205
11/25/19 01:49 PM
11/25/19 01:49 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
My thoughts are that dispersal is probably instinctual and likely coincides with sexual maturity. Probably nature’s way of limiting inbreeding. There is no doubt in my mind that momma gets a little ornery when she’s getting near the end of her gestation. But I don’t think that is what prompts the dispersal.

Like Rally, I have noticed a higher catch rate on males during the spring dispersal. I wonder if male beaver mature sexually sooner than females??

At first ice off, there are very few bite marks but yet these beaver are clearly in the process of dispersing. As the season progresses, so does the amount of bite marks. I think all the battle wounds we see in the spring are from protecting/establishing territory not from getting kicked out of the house.

Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Bogmaster] #6675730
11/26/19 12:31 AM
11/26/19 12:31 AM
Winona MN
B
Birdman382 Offline
trapper
Birdman382  Offline
trapper
B

Winona MN
That's right beaver breeding season is during the winter. That is why you see less movement for a week or so. Dad and I trapped hundreds of beaver over the years and always had that slump in January.

Re: Question for the experienced beaver folks [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6675734
11/26/19 12:42 AM
11/26/19 12:42 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Maybe it is the loins of the teenagers that is the sex driving them and not the parents, as often enough the 2 year olds help with the raising of the young. Would explain the 2 year olds not getting bit up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread