No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6659161
11/06/19 09:39 PM
11/06/19 09:39 PM
NM
W
Wronganswer Offline
trapper
Wronganswer  Offline
trapper
W

NM
Originally Posted by Sicilian Hunter
[quote=Wronganswer]You need to do some research on the laws in NM before you go out and start setting. Based on what you are planning to do/use you are headed for arrest not success.

Longspring #5's are not legal. 6.5" maximum outside jaw spread (7" if outside laminated). Basically a Bridger #3 coilspring, Bridger #4 longspring or similar is as big as you can use. They also need to be offset. It's illegal to trap a lion on BLM or USFS property. It is legal on private property (with permission of course) and on state lease land (owned by the state land office not NMGF or any other state agency), however, since you state it wouldn't be on a ranch it sounds like you will be trapping on public land. That will likely be illegal. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

You also need BOTH a trapping license and a cougar license (which has to be purchased at least 2 days prior to hunting/trapping for lions). You also must follow the season dates for normal furbearer trapping. You cannot use visible bait. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

I would strongly encourage you to read the rule book and/or call a game warden before you commit a crime or possibly many crimes and in the process give NM trappers another black eye. We don't need any more illegal activity by folks who should know better. Please do everyone a favor and educate yourself before trying this.

As far as how to trap for lions:

Lions trapping techniques are very similar to bobcat trapping techniques but they are obviously much larger and your anchoring system needs to take that into account. Welded J hooks are strongly recommended. Set further back from your attractor/scent and make your stepping guides reflect a larger stride from a much larger animal.

If you are new to trapping or are just getting back into it there are a lot of laws that you can violate without knowing it so I'd also recommend you join the NM Trapper's Association as well as the National Trappers Association and Fur Takers of America. They can be a great source of information and can give you access to people who know what is legal and what isn't. I don't mean to jump all over someone who is excited to try a new sport, but trapping, especially in NM, is under constant attack and we don't want you to violate the law OR cause us to lose trapping

Wrong,
WOW!!!
You don’t know what you don’t know until the info hits you like a freight train!!
I appreciate your passion and your knowledge and as I stated, I am new to trapping and I joined the forum to learn more.
I can promise you that I intend NOT to break any laws or besmirch trapping in NM and maybe I should have looked into it more before I posted anything...live and learn.
I actually just joined the NMTA but with all the trouble I had just joining their organization I was not filled with confidence in finding a mentor.
Maybe you can spare some time if you happen to live close by?

Thanks

I'd be happy to help. PM me. Didnt mean to discourage you just wanted to make sure you didnt get in trouble and we dont have to see another illegal trapping case in the news. The media have a hard time seperating poachers from legal trappers.... they seem to be incapable of critical thinking and facts mean nothing to them so I want folks to trap legally. Sometimes i get pretty blunt.

PS the NMTA has had a couple issues with their website being difficult to access but i think thats been fixed.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6659182
11/06/19 10:05 PM
11/06/19 10:05 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

PM sent

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6659271
11/07/19 12:04 AM
11/07/19 12:04 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Welcome to Trapperman, Sicilian! Just want to make sure you know one of our rules. It didn't happen without pictures. Far as I've seen here, very few pictures of lion trapping have been posted here. We are counting on you buddy!! Go for it and good luck!
MT

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: KeithC] #6659398
11/07/19 08:28 AM
11/07/19 08:28 AM
New Mexico
S
Sicilian Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Sicilian Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by KeithC
I went to the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento back in 1998. It's an awesome place.

Keith

At some point I want visit the village they came from

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: martentrapper] #6659512
11/07/19 10:52 AM
11/07/19 10:52 AM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Welcome to Trapperman, Sicilian! Just want to make sure you know one of our rules. It didn't happen without pictures. Far as I've seen here, very few pictures of lion trapping have been posted here. We are counting on you buddy!! Go for it and good luck!

MT

MT,
DANG!!!
No Pressure !!! LOL
I’m going to be taking baby steps here as what I don’t know so far is a lot!!
If I get stoopit lucky I may just have those pics to share!!
Thanks!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6679057
11/29/19 05:39 PM
11/29/19 05:39 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
OK,
I have taken the test and passed it, bought my cougar tag and already have my trapping license.
I have purchased 3 #4, off set jaw, long spring trap from Murray's Lures at Dirtydog's suggestion.
Now, my next question is anchoring.
Someone suggested a drag that I know and I just don't think that will work.
I have Berkshire anchors I was going to use for coyote and I am wondering if using more than one would work.
I've also seen cougar urine for sale from Fleming's traps.
Is that worth buying?

The Sicilian

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6679098
11/29/19 06:50 PM
11/29/19 06:50 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Mtn Lion urine is not necessary.Bobcat,coyote or fox will work fine.Droppings are a big plus,behind the trapdog,cat,bobcat,coyote,it does not matter.

Youwould be surprised how many lions are caught and released from bobcat sets in the West,bobcat attractors,spacing,etc..

A drag will work if you have brush.A nice solid log drag will work also.I wouldn't trust Berkshires but something heavier with 1/8" cable or #3 chain will work and you can double or triple them if you think it is necessary.Use 10'of good chain,with drags.

Good bobcat locations are often good lion locations but,at any rate,being right on location is important as in most trapping.With the size traps you need to use,,don't expect any pad catches.I know many lions get caught every year in #3 traps but I also know of an instance where a big tom lion pulled out of two different MB650's,like they were mouse traps.I know of another instance where a big tom stepped in and pulled out of two,MB750 wolf traps.He didn't flick them right of but also,wasn't there long.The strength of toms that are 150 lbs plus,is kust a force to be reconned with.They are almost like a different animal.Well,nothing you can do about that and the odds of a large tom getting there first,is notthat great.

Make sure you have good chain on those traps and I agree with others,weldingthe connections is a good idea.

Last edited by Taximan; 11/29/19 07:29 PM.
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6679680
11/30/19 12:53 PM
11/30/19 12:53 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
If I was to target lions with a limited jaw spread I'd use #4 Newhouse and nothing else. When trapping bobcat I use an UNMODIFIED #3 coilspring. The bigger cats will blow the jaws out and I won't have to mess with them. The largest I've held with my set up was around 100 lbs.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6685212
12/06/19 04:53 PM
12/06/19 04:53 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
The big sleepy creek DLS traps dont have the soft / malleable base plates like the smaller ones do. If you cant afford the LPC prices take a good look at the sleepy creek 4.5s. The #5s are awesome but cost considerably more. Good luck and post some big kitty pictures for us!

Last edited by Leftlane; 12/06/19 04:55 PM. Reason: Clarified dls

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: newhouse114] #6685418
12/06/19 09:22 PM
12/06/19 09:22 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Taxi,
Thanks very much for the advice!!
That was a wealth of knowledge I can put to good use!!
Much appreciated!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: newhouse114] #6685419
12/06/19 09:23 PM
12/06/19 09:23 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Thanks!!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Leftlane] #6685434
12/06/19 09:39 PM
12/06/19 09:39 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Leftlane,
Thanks for the encouragement !!
I’ll do my best to come up with some pics to share!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6685456
12/06/19 09:57 PM
12/06/19 09:57 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

Have you got any traps set yet?

Good luck.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6685514
12/06/19 10:56 PM
12/06/19 10:56 PM
Montana
J
John Sullivan Offline
trapper
John Sullivan  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Lions are easy to catch when you find them but many will escape because of small equipment which is bobcat or coyote gear.

Finding them is key. Then gearing up to keep them caught is the other half of it. Big chains, big drags, trap jaw ends bent up or welded, etc.

They hunt different prey species then bobcats and coyotes, look for them in big game areas cause that is their prey. Particularly mule deer but some of them specialize in bighorn sheep in sheep areas.

Finding tracks and droppings will help immensely. Set right where there is sign.

A walk through set is deadly especially if two traps are placed in tandem. If a cubby or scent post just remember the size of the animal and have a big gap, twelve inches or more, between the pan and the bait/lure. And lots of guiding, just like for bobs. They are not trap shy or guide shy at all.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #7506358
02/23/22 04:13 PM
02/23/22 04:13 PM
Far Northern CA
VaderSpade Offline
trapper
VaderSpade  Offline
trapper

Far Northern CA
Did you ever catch that lion?

I have caught (and released) a few as incidental catches.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #7506471
02/23/22 05:41 PM
02/23/22 05:41 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Wow that's an old thread
I remember that though.

NRA and NTA Life Member