No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Mike in A-town] #6679663
11/30/19 12:22 PM
11/30/19 12:22 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline OP
trapper
Blaine County  Offline OP
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Oklahoma is trying to make it easier to get out and hunt deer... On the face that seems like a good thing. But I believe it also shows how hunter numbers are dwindling. The state has made it progressively easier to harvest deer for several years... And they keep making it easier. Which tells me that fewer hunters are taking advantage.

• I've heard talk of expanding rifle season to 3 weeks, we're already at 2 now.

• I've heard talk of allowing hunters to buy all their tags and letting them fill all of them with their preferred method... Basically you could fill all 6 of your tags with your rifle, or muzzleloader, or bow. (Fine with me, I would prefer to take them all with my flinter)

Sadly, I haven't been deer hunting in probably 15 years... For years I didn't have the time or the money. Work obligations were the main obstacle. And a handful of years back, I bought my lifetime license so buying licenses and tags is taken care of... And I am financially secure now... But TIME and a decent spot to hunt are still the limiting factors.

I had planned on going this year and letting my new flintlock spill its first blood. But between work and rain every time I had a day off, I couldn't get it sighted in... And I wasn't going to be irresponsible and tote an unsighted weapon out to take a bad shot at an animal.

If things work out the way they are supposed to in the next 6 months I will have the location dilemma taken care of. So perhaps next year I will have the chance to hunt. Just gotta get the flintlock sighted in.

Hopefully.

Mike

You'll have to come west but get out to the gun range at my farm. Sight that thing in! We even have a few deer for you to hunt.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Jurassic Park] #6679674
11/30/19 12:40 PM
11/30/19 12:40 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Online happy
trapper
walleyed  Online Happy
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
For some reason you guys all fell for that brain washing stigma and can’t shake it out of your heads.
I’m sure 100 years ago when some of you guys were kids they were saying the same thing.

Talk about how all the hunters in the USA is larger than any army in the world. Yet we need to worry cause hunter numbers are going down.

It’s a scam and it’s the way many people convince others to spend money so they can make money.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679675
11/30/19 12:42 PM
11/30/19 12:42 PM
Buggs Island, Va
lonewolf308 Offline
trapper
lonewolf308  Offline
trapper

Buggs Island, Va
As far as what hunting will be 20-100yrs from now I have no idea. You have to take in consideration the generation of kids that are coming up saying they care for the environment by getting rid of cows and not eating meat but never setting foot in the woods to see nature and the animals that live in it. They aren't going to hunt which in turn will make the greedy states continue to raise their license prices. In Va I have not noticed any of my public hunting land ever being cared for or stocking introduced, so where's my money going? My dad use to tell me how there was no deer hunting season where I grew up until the 70's which blew my mind. My grandfather told me stories of hunting illegally to feed his family and hiding from the warden. I guess not matter where hunting goes I will take after my GF and hunt when I need to law be dam. Truth be told I have never been impressed in the quality and success I've had with deer on public land. People with their own land kill most the deer and they hoard it like scrooge, till they log it. I remember as a kid begging every farm that had a pond to be able to fish it I was always turned down even by people who admittedly did not fish. What is the sense in that? So between greed of the government and people's greediness and stupidness hunting is bound to decline.

VTA member
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679676
11/30/19 12:44 PM
11/30/19 12:44 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
You guys should come on down and hunt arkansas. Our deer season opens in September and closes in February.and we have millions of acres of national forest free for hunting and thousands of game and fish wildlife management areas to hunt.our deer on average do not get as big as the northern deer but there are some monster bucks that are killed in arkansas every year.we have the arkansas big buck clasic every year at the state fair grounds yall should check it out if you wanna se the deer arkansas can produce. There are a ton of youth hunters in the school my wife works at and it's like a holiday in our little town when gun season kicks off. Stores close , and the ones that have good breakfast open extra early so hunters can get something to eat before they go lol.and the school gives the kids what they call fall break so the kids that hunt get some extra days to hunt. Eaven some big manufacturing company's that employ alot of people around here will shut the whole plant down for a week during gun season so they can deer hunt

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Jurassic Park] #6679681
11/30/19 12:55 PM
11/30/19 12:55 PM
W
walleyed Online happy
trapper
walleyed  Online Happy
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Talk about how all the hunters in the USA is larger than any army in the world. Yet we need to worry cause hunter numbers are going down.

Well J.P.

Pennsylvania alone fields nearly 1,000,000 licensed deer hunters each year

which exceeds the standing armies of the majority of countries around the world.

So it's not exactly an internet urban legend.

There's no doubt in my mind that P.A's million man army of deer hunters could

beat you hosers in a cross border infantry brawl. laugh

Heck,

as soon as it was announced we were crossing the border, the French Canadians

would surrender, and Alberta & Saskatchewan would switch sides and join the U.S. laugh

You and BOCO in Manly Manitoba and Ontario wouldn't hold out for long

before you were sending over Maple Syrup and Canadian Bacon as a peace offering. laugh

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679683
11/30/19 12:59 PM
11/30/19 12:59 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I think if you look at California,Washington etc you will see the direction hunting is going in. Predator hunting will be limited or stopped,bears,lions,wolves will be protected by ballot initiatives. Game will be forced towards the ranches/farms and farmers will given piles of damage permits or the state will have shooters take care of it.

I firmly believe if the opportunity is there people will take it,if people can hunt and have a reasonable expectation of success they will hunt but that will require good management of game and predators not majority rules emotional ballot initiative driven madness.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679689
11/30/19 01:07 PM
11/30/19 01:07 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
My nephew got his first buck this year! I dnt think he would have been any more excited if it was a 10 point

2019-11-30 11.00.18.png
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679691
11/30/19 01:08 PM
11/30/19 01:08 PM
SK
S
Saskayote Offline
trapper
Saskayote  Offline
trapper
S

SK
I and my wife produced 4 kids. All of us hunt. That is more than any prior generation of my family. WE NEED TO DO OUR SHARE. We must show the new generation hunting. Real hunting. My 13 yo daughter and I just got in from a four mile trudge thru knee deep snow after white tails. It was hard but I made sure she enjoyed it. She carried a 94 Winchester 30 30, open sites. Nothing high tech but using the wind. Expensive? Not in the least.

Hunting future is in OUR hands. Trouble is, most of us shrug and do not make the effort to ensure our kids learn the ropes and enjoy the reality that is hunting.

Good news is, the hippy antis have maximum two kids, half of who are gunna be gay and not produce. So we got the numbers game. We need to do our part!!!

One thing that is of concern is land access. I own a decent chunk of about the prettiest most productive habitat for many miles in the area. I preserve it. I love it. All around me trees are pushed to make more land. It is getting insane.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679692
11/30/19 01:14 PM
11/30/19 01:14 PM

M
MsgRet
Unregistered
MsgRet
Unregistered
M

A lot of the private land I trap on is leased land for deer hunting etc and the elites from Milwaukee/Chicago come up for the 9 day gun season that ends tomorrow. Starting Monday it's all mine. The owners want me there in the off season. Though trapper numbers are decreasing, opportunity for trapping is increasing IMO
I know this thread is about hunting and I don't mean to be off subject. I am the eternal optimist.

Last edited by MsgRet; 11/30/19 01:17 PM. Reason: Added a phrase.
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679696
11/30/19 01:20 PM
11/30/19 01:20 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
WI introduced mentored hunting you can now take your new born out hunting. no age restriction . but one gun between the two of you.

took my son deer hunting the first time when he was 11 that was the year they passed the mentored hunting law. he already had taken hunters ed but could not hunt till 12 without me right by his side.

we did lots fo shooting before that , and not just 22lr . he bought his first shotgun when he was 10.

you can also use the mentored hunting to take older youth or adults who haven't had hunters ed yet to get them out and then let them go decide to take hunters ed.

even still average age of a WI hunter keeps creeping up it is nearly 50.

it won't die but it will continue to change.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679700
11/30/19 01:25 PM
11/30/19 01:25 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I thought this was about hunting. What ever happened to small game hunting?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679702
11/30/19 01:27 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Yes I think it is very important to take kids hunting and trapping.I put my nephew on that buck and if not for me he wouldn't get to do any hunting, fishing or trapping. He has a bad home life and me and my wife try to get him every chance we have.sad to say his brothers are to far gone but if I can keep him on the right track I feel good about that atleast

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679703
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
tomahawker….

you're right about parts of Europe like the UK, Hungary and some others. Here in France hunting and fishing have long been for the every man. Of course the kings of France and the ultra wealthy had some private land of their own but part of the cause for the revolution here was hunting rights.

But like America, we are not seeing the kids enter hunting OR fishing as we should for all above reasons. For me the biggest thing is that these kids are so bored if somethin doesn't happen in 15 minutes. Most or all of us can remember spending an entire weekend waiting for one shot at something or fishing all day waiting for one sturgeon to find our shrimp when we were young. The only "fix" we had for hunting was maybe the American Sportsman or a local outdoor show.

Not a good trend but I'm sure hunting will exist here in Europe because wild boar, red stag and deer will cause too much destruction and car accidents. Maybe we'll become like Germany. There if you own more than 50 acres of land you MUST kill the number of animals the government tells you to kill. If you don't they send the government hunters and send you the bill.

Used to be so simple.

Have a good weekend with your kids.

Pete

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679706
11/30/19 01:31 PM
11/30/19 01:31 PM

M
MsgRet
Unregistered
MsgRet
Unregistered
M

Maybe. So many youth are not exposed to the outdoors if they live in a medium or large city. Plus there have been activist groups damaging deer stands etc. Thats new and growing. Law enforcement seems to be on it which is good. Can't say what the future will bring but I predict that hunting in groups or "coops" may be the future in order to preserve the sport. Though I am happy that we have public land to hunt on but to be honest they are dangerous places during the deer gun season. More and more people opt for leased land.

Last edited by MsgRet; 11/30/19 01:37 PM.
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6679712
11/30/19 01:40 PM
11/30/19 01:40 PM
SK
S
Saskayote Offline
trapper
Saskayote  Offline
trapper
S

SK
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
WI introduced mentored hunting you can now take your new born out hunting. no age restriction . but one gun between the two of you.

took my son deer hunting the first time when he was 11 that was the year they passed the mentored hunting law. he already had taken hunters ed but could not hunt till 12 without me right by his side.

we did lots fo shooting before that , and not just 22lr . he bought his first shotgun when he was 10.

you can also use the mentored hunting to take older youth or adults who haven't had hunters ed yet to get them out and then let them go decide to take hunters ed.

You mean before the law change, you couldn’t take your kids with you?

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Saskayote] #6679713
11/30/19 01:41 PM
Wisconsin
V
virgil1972 Offline
trapper
virgil1972  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Saskayote
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

You mean before the law change, you couldn’t take your kids with you?

You could but they couldn't shoot.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Dirt] #6679714
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Dirt
I thought this was about hunting. What ever happened to small game hunting?

Deer hunting killed it,at least here it did. Here we have 9 days of firearm season then a muzzle loader season after. It is hard to get permission to hunt small game until after Muzzleloader season so that brings it into December. It can be tough to motivate kids to want to go out in the snow and cold of December to maybe get a shot at a squirrel,even if they want to they cant walk as far in the snow or sit as long in the cold.

The best small game hunting was always in buffer strips around here,fence lines between fields or patches of grass between fields cattails in a field etc,with the new 4wd articulating tractors everything gets plowed under,its like black desert after the crops are off.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679719
11/30/19 01:50 PM
11/30/19 01:50 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The way I remember it was squirrel opened way before any deer season, and most other small game seasons were before, during, and after the gun deer season. The truth be known, us small game hunters, did not have a high opinion of the people who just deer hunted.

BTW Kids love action.

Last edited by Dirt; 11/30/19 01:51 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679723
11/30/19 01:59 PM
11/30/19 01:59 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
First I ever heard of leasing i was in high school. Texans were coming to CO and doing it for private access. We thought they were crazy and made jokes about them. The fees just kept growing and the Californians kept moving in till there were few ranches left and hunting fees more than some people earn in 6 months. Most of the old ranches got busted up into 20-30 acre lots. Take a look at Colorado and California if you want to see where hunting and gun ownership is headed.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679724
11/30/19 02:01 PM
11/30/19 02:01 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
this is my grandson on the squirrel opener this year dirt.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread