No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679730
11/30/19 02:12 PM
11/30/19 02:12 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
You will have to teach him how to put a slit in the back leg tendon and put a stick through for a handle when he starts shooting big numbers.

smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679733
11/30/19 02:17 PM
11/30/19 02:17 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Yes, CA, WA,OR, CO and it keeps spreading. Leasing is killing it. How about this one........ Non-local land owners have farms in CRP and/or crops which is a subsidy from the govt. They then lease their tax payer funded farm land to someone to hunt . Should be you lease for hunting then no govt. payment.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679736
11/30/19 02:24 PM
11/30/19 02:24 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Trapping will likely be illegal in heavily democrat controlled states except for government trappers and very restricted private ADC.

Hunting will likely be illegal in most heavily democrat controlled states and limited to the very rich in other democrat controlled states.

Trapping and hunting in all conservative states will be restricted to non toxic ammunition. There will be many more laws interfering with trapping and hunting.

We have lost control of the education system to liberal democrats. The liberal democrats will continue to corrupt the youth, in greater numbers, to be anti trapping, anti hunting, anti fishing anti firearms. Unless we take strong action, we have lost.

Keith

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679742
11/30/19 02:30 PM
11/30/19 02:30 PM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
I've lived here next to this public hunting area campground for 23 years, I've seen the number of people camping during deer season steadily decline since moving here. Every economic downturn has cut the numbers and they never go back up.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679750
11/30/19 02:39 PM
11/30/19 02:39 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I taught my kids to hunt, (all girls), just like my dad taught me. The one in college at ISU will bring friends home, all of which seem to have grown up around hunting, etc. Their not afraid of a rifle leaning in the corner or a deer hanging in the shed. Gives me a little hope for the future.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Dirt] #6679752
11/30/19 02:42 PM
11/30/19 02:42 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Dirt
The way I remember it was squirrel opened way before any deer season, and most other small game seasons were before, during, and after the gun deer season. The truth be known, us small game hunters, did not have a high opinion of the people who just deer hunted.

BTW Kids love action.

It opens with our deer archery season here in Mid Sep and runs to mid Feb. Like I said though, hard to get permission before deer season because no one wants the deer being chased around and pressured. It can be tough to get kids out in the winter when its cold and there is not as much squirrel action most of those days compared to the fall when they are collecting acorns.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679756
11/30/19 02:44 PM
11/30/19 02:44 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Glad hunting is still alive and well in the South.
Yes we have leases and public land...and lots of it.
We have small game seasons and deer seasons that are long and liberal.
Yes we have greedy landowners (but if I owned land I don’t think I’d just let anyone hunt it for free either)
My county doesn’t have any public land, but I have umpteen places I can hunt and as the years go by, trap as well. Our fur isn’t worth anything, but Quail is King and folks will pay you to trap.
Kids hunt and it’s generally an excused absence from school (Did have to meet with the school board when I took my son out for a Kansas turkey trip) They let him work ahead and make up what he missed.
I’ve been taking a young lady and her boyfriend the last couple of weeks trying to get them there first bucks. My buddy I normally hunt with has been taking a young man for his first buck as well. We’ll get back to hunting together after we get these folks theirs.
As far as numbers, I have never heard of a kid that can’t go hunting until a certain age except up North. Sounds like y’all need to get to the polls or find some candidates with some common sense. Our kids can hunt and shoot at whatever age they can actually shoot a gun. I do remember hunting with some Yankees out in Arkansas and they were astonished my son was able to hunt and shoot ducks with adults at 10 years old. I was astonished that folks actually stuck to that law, lol. Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of.
In 20 years hunting will probably be about the same down here except I’ll be taking my future grandkids and celebrating their firsts.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679781
11/30/19 03:33 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
In Michigan wildlife based special interest groups fight each other for a piece of the outdoors pie. What is one to do when hunters of different animals and different methods of hunting the same animal fight amongst themselves. Hound hunters trespass, don't like trappers. Bow hunters want special treatment, and 100% of whitetail rut, Rifle hunters want a bit earlier longer season without the deep snow up north. Cat/predator hunters don't like trappers and have a long season, trappers get 10 days to trap a cat, Deer hunters never agree on baiting deer, Trophy deer hunters just don't like anybody. Our big wildlife group MUCC picks sides. I do worry.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679782
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
DNR's and Zoo's have a closed "Good Ol' Boy" system going. You MUST have a degree to get hired and they all seem to be from Liberal schools, that brainwash the kid's to an "ANTI" mind set. The vast majority anyway. They are the ones that will be in charge of policy making someday.

Last edited by BigBob; 11/30/19 03:34 PM.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679785
11/30/19 03:40 PM
11/30/19 03:40 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Deer are Varmits. Nothing more. If nobody shot them for three or four years there would be a bounty on them.

Having said that I was checking coyote sets on a new property a week or so ago and some guy stops to ask me what I'm doing. I told him and he asks if I know who owns the property. So I tell him well aware he is just likely looking out for a neighbor as has never seen me before. We talk a bit and he asks if I want to trap some ground he and his brother bought to deer hunt. It was a property I wanted on but hadn't tried to find out who owned it. Looks real catty. When our deer rifle season is over those cats will be getting good.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679787
11/30/19 03:49 PM
11/30/19 03:49 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline OP
trapper
Blaine County  Offline OP
trapper

Playstation, year round sports, divorce, de-masculinity, urbanization and social media are killing recruitment of the next generation. This is not new.

Sure leasing and bureaucracy are factors but we are losing at a numbers game. That translates to anti-hunting, anti--trapping and anti-gun laws. Such becomes the political will, or at least politically safe, without numbers.

Cool stories about kids on this thread.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: TurkeyTime] #6679800
11/30/19 04:19 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
How about this one........ Non-local land owners have farms in CRP and/or crops which is a subsidy from the govt. They then lease their tax payer funded farm land to someone to hunt . Should be you lease for hunting then no govt. payment.

I agree with this and also include local land owners. Some land owners here claim ag damage then won't let anyone hunt but their family and friends. If they're required to keep a log to show who hunts on their land it's filled out in advance by their certain few. I get a little tired of hearing about the damage deer do to crops but then they won't let a non relative or friend hunt.

I'm lucky I've got 1 private land to hunt because getting permission is not easy. Most of the public land here is a circus to hunt with Madison hunters over here.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679801
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Oklahoma is trying to make it easier to get out and hunt deer... On the face that seems like a good thing. But I believe it also shows how hunter numbers are dwindling. The state has made it progressively easier to harvest deer for several years... And they keep making it easier. Which tells me that fewer hunters are taking advantage.

• I've heard talk of expanding rifle season to 3 weeks, we're already at 2 now.

• I've heard talk of allowing hunters to buy all their tags and letting them fill all of them with their preferred method... Basically you could fill all 6 of your tags with your rifle, or muzzleloader, or bow. (Fine with me, I would prefer to take them all with my flinter)

Sadly, I haven't been deer hunting in probably 15 years... For years I didn't have the time or the money. Work obligations were the main obstacle. And a handful of years back, I bought my lifetime license so buying licenses and tags is taken care of... And I am financially secure now... But TIME and a decent spot to hunt are still the limiting factors.

I had planned on going this year and letting my new flintlock spill its first blood. But between work and rain every time I had a day off, I couldn't get it sighted in... And I wasn't going to be irresponsible and tote an unsighted weapon out to take a bad shot at an animal.

If things work out the way they are supposed to in the next 6 months I will have the location dilemma taken care of. So perhaps next year I will have the chance to hunt. Just gotta get the flintlock sighted in.

Hopefully.

Mike

You'll have to come west but get out to the gun range at my farm. Sight that thing in! We even have a few deer for you to hunt.

I appreciate it Blaine and I'd love to say I would be there on X day to do it... But as sure as I'm born a transformer or switch gear would blow up at 3:00 am in one of our customer's facilities, or something else like that... The last year and a half all spare time was spent taking care of my in-laws... And since they've passed it's been settling their estate...

I just need to schedule a 3 day weekend when I'm reasonably sure the weather will cooperate. Notify everyone that I am falling off the planet, chuck my phone in a creek and just go.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679809
11/30/19 04:28 PM
11/30/19 04:28 PM
Blaine County Offline OP
trapper
trapper

I hear you. We are slaves to our clients/customers/job now and the chain is our cell phone.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679812
11/30/19 04:34 PM
11/30/19 04:34 PM

C
CGilliam
Unregistered
CGilliam
Unregistered
C

I know this thread is about hunting, but the same applies to trapping. Lately I have been bombarded with people coming on my videos, claiming that I'm giving the antis more ammo by merely showing an animal in a trap. This foolishness' has to stop. Antis will always be antis, but me showing every catch completely uninjured is not aiding them, it aids us, and showing how enjoyable trapping is has brought more people into it. We can make it popular again. Hunt and trap responsibly please. smile

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679818
11/30/19 04:41 PM
11/30/19 04:41 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Blaine County

I hear you. We are slaves to our clients/customers/job now and the chain is our cell phone.

It's actually not TOO bad... It's just one of those Murphy's law deals... The phone never rings unless I have something concrete planned. LOL

I had plans to attend the NTA in Springfield this year... Sure enough, we wound up having to work. I told the boss I already had plans for Saturday and he gave me Saturday off. But I had to cut the day short so I could be back to work on Sunday. But at least I got to go... And Sunday was double time.

I can't complain too much. I work for a great company. But life is about choices and you have to sacrifice sometimes...

Paycheck or hunting? I'm pretty secure money-wise but not independently wealthy, yet. Lol

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: wr otis] #6679893
11/30/19 06:42 PM
11/30/19 06:42 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by wr otis
PA at one time did have a million licenses sold, but last year the adult license sales were around 525,000? Half a million guys quit, or died or something, but they ain't buying licenses anymore. My deer hunting bunch used to be around a dozen guys, half are dead and the other half don't hunt any more.

Yeah,

But a half a million man P.A. militia is still a force to be reckoned with.

We could still take Canada in less than a week but then..........

What would we do with it ? laugh

We'd have to pay the bill to feed and clothe J.P. and BOCO !!!! laugh

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6679992
11/30/19 08:20 PM
11/30/19 08:20 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I wonder my self what it will be like 20 years from now. My daughter is 12 and she goes to a small rural school when deer season opens thats all the kids talk about. Out of the 20 kids that are in her class 15 hunt. She is the only trapper. All kids are started young here. She has been with me hunting and fishing since she was in a carseat. Everyone told me I was talking her to young. She shot her first coyote in a trap at 3 went in the river boat at 2. If people in big cities did that they would go to jail for child endangerment. This life is all she knows. When she get out on her own. She will not no what to thing about all the backwards city folk and their ways. I worry she will not fit in this world later in life.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6680094
11/30/19 10:11 PM
11/30/19 10:11 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
When I hunted the northern “big woods” country in PA back in the 1960’s and 1970’s, the woods on the first day of the rifle season, especially in the morning sounded like a war zone with all the shots being fired. The camps were all filled with hunters. The last time I hunted there was in 2002 and I would only hear a shot now and then and the camps were mostly empty. I imagine it is even worse now.

Re: Hunting in 20 years? [Re: Blaine County] #6680105
11/30/19 10:15 PM
11/30/19 10:15 PM
Blaine County Offline OP
trapper
trapper

My 12 year old shot a doe tonight. Nice buck last weekend. We do what we can do. I hope he does the same for his kids in 20 years (or 33 in my case).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread