No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680321
12/01/19 09:31 AM
12/01/19 09:31 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I'll shoot over a pile of big/old bucks for a 1.5 year old anything. Last thing I wasn't to eat is a old buck. Been there, done that, yuk.

I got over the antler craze in my early 20s...and I consider myself a slow learner.

Harvesting deer should (amongst other things family/experience related) be about the meat first. We've lost the meaning of hunting when it becomes about the antlers, IMO.

I've seen multiple big bucks harvested and just the antlers and backstraps taken. The rest went into the dumpster. Female warden didn't care about it, so I guess I shouldn't either. What a shame, but that's the mentality we are growing.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680325
12/01/19 09:35 AM
12/01/19 09:35 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
unfortunately as bad as the rear hams and backstraps only sounds.i'll find as many missin heads and left whole to rot as i will wasted rib meat.not me,just what i see.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680334
12/01/19 09:43 AM
12/01/19 09:43 AM
Stanton Mi.
B
BigJoe. Offline
trapper
BigJoe.  Offline
trapper
B

Stanton Mi.
your question was "How do you feel?" Here where we hunt around home in central lower Michigan we have been fortunate to have a healthy deer population. We moved to this location 24 years ago. We gained permission from the local land owner to deer hunt within walking distance from home. His first words about hunting his property were " we have too many does, probably 20 does to one buck". He was right! With a young hungry family we took several does a year. Once in a while one of us would shoot a buck. Always a year and a half old. We very rarely seen a buck with any size to them. Back then on opening day of firearm deer season the shooting was none stop for the first hour of daylight. Deer were running from woodlot to woodlot. After opening day you were lucky to see a deer during daylight hours.

Fast forward to about four or five years ago. Opening day had half the amount of shots fired that first hour. It wasn't because of lower deer numbers, it is because people around here have started practicing quality deer management. Weather they belong to a QDMA group or not these folks have seen the benefit of "Let em go, let em grow". At first I wasn't sold on QDMA. Then after listening to a few friends ad seeing their success, we started a quality control program here. We now own some land and have good success with letting the small bucks go and seeing more shooter bucks. Our taste buds have not changed. We still take does for the freezer and if someone has never shot a buck that is new to our group, they can shoot any legal buck they choose. And the high fives, back slapping and picture takeing will be no less than if it was a monster buck.

We are not snob hunters, we are down to earth simple people that like to hunt deer. I have all my deer antlers hanging proudly in my fur shed. From spikes to 8 pointers. No big record book bucks. But they all have a fond memory for me. What we do now is try to get a few bigger bucks. I remember back 30 some years ago when I would see folks with a nice big buck and I would think to myself "wow is that guy lucky". Was he lucky or did they practice quality management of some sort.

Getting back to your question, I feel as long as they are legal, take what you want. I will be happy to help and happy to give high fives, back slapping and picture taking no matter what size the deer is.

The one thing we all need to remember is to never look down on another sportsman or sportswomen for what they do as long as it is legal and ethical.

Happy Trapping, Joe

Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association Director at Large
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: BigJoe.] #6680366
12/01/19 10:18 AM
12/01/19 10:18 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Big Joe, that must be a different QDMA than I am familiar with in mid Mi.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680413
12/01/19 11:22 AM
12/01/19 11:22 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
the vast majority of hunters I see, are more than 40 years old.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680418
12/01/19 11:29 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Couple of small ones looking at me yesterday while I was pulling traps here in south Texas. Good thing I wasn't in heat!

[Linked Image]

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680419
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
QDM should be voluntary and left at that.I just got off another site where the chest thumpers are crying about Michigans buck laws,they want it redone to benefit antler growth.Trophy hunting will kill the hunting industry,which is already on wobbly legs.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680430
12/01/19 11:37 AM
12/01/19 11:37 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Our Pa deer don't get that big Mark, don't come with the ear tags already in them either. grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680438
12/01/19 11:53 AM
12/01/19 11:53 AM
West Central Mn
S
Snare loop Offline
trapper
Snare loop  Offline
trapper
S

West Central Mn
We hunt for the freezer. So we try not to shoot our breeding stock. Any buck will do.
If we get bonus tags, which none have been available for years we only shoot buck fawns. We feel these deer in the years ahead will be miles away if they're our in my freezer.

shoot what makes you happy and gets you the meat you can use

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6680488
12/01/19 12:55 PM
12/01/19 12:55 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
QDM should be voluntary and left at that.I just got off another site where the chest thumpers are crying about Michigans buck laws,they want it redone to benefit antler growth.Trophy hunting will kill the hunting industry,which is already on wobbly legs.

Ditto! It has become a cult-like group of guys that can be downright jackasses toward anybody that shoots a buck that they don't think should have been shot. I have 51 opening days under my belt, and I am sickened by some of the hyperbole. Sad.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: Michigander] #6680504
12/01/19 01:07 PM
12/01/19 01:07 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Michigander
It depends on your deer population. If you have a surplus of deer taking does in place of a buck is a good idea as the population can handle the does being taken.

Where I hunt (low deer density) it is better off, in my opinion, to take the small buck. The buck will only be a net -1 in your deer population and that is it. Taking a doe not only kills her, but also any deer she would have birthed the next year and the following years.

If you have a low density population why would it be legal to shoot does?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680525
12/01/19 01:47 PM
12/01/19 01:47 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Dirt, in our state, most deer GMU's are county-by-county. It is nearly impossible to micromanage areas within a county. We have had some terrible outbreaks of Blue Tongue in the southern part of the state. I have many friends in one county that was hit very hard by it about 5 years ago. Some farms/parcels lost 90+% of their deer before it was over. Then, other areas nearby (within a couple miles) they lost none. Imagine what a patchwork of management that would require! My county, according to the DNR, has an over-population of deer, yet my own neighborhood has so few does that I don't want to tag one. I haven't shot a doe on my own 180 acres in maybe 12 years. They are getting thicker though, and before long I will gladly fill a doe tag. It kinda throws a wrench in the QDM mantra of letting the small bucks go and shooting a doe for meat, at least on my place.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680529
12/01/19 01:55 PM
12/01/19 01:55 PM
Lake Erie, Ohio
H
honkerextreme Offline
trapper
honkerextreme  Offline
trapper
H

Lake Erie, Ohio
I shoot whatever crosses my path first, no one is going to tell me what to shoot, I can not stand people telling me I shouldn’t have shot the 4 point I killed a few weeks ago, all my wife and I eat for meat is venison.

I hear it from the guys I work with and the neighbors, I even heard it from the mail lady the other day. LOL. well I have no regrets on any animal I harvest and my freezer is full.

Like stated above——- shoot what makes you happy!

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680561
12/01/19 02:36 PM
12/01/19 02:36 PM
West Central Mn
S
Snare loop Offline
trapper
Snare loop  Offline
trapper
S

West Central Mn
QDM land and lease owners have large sums of money and time into raising a certain deer that they intend to shoot. Why would they not look down on others that are happy with less? Taking the easy way out or you can shoot the does because their not worthy of my time and effort when I need horns and only certain horns.
You have the same type of people in all outdoor sports. it's usually breaks down to money and trophy's VS meat or fish ………..

If I see one more outdoor show "I'm here with my good friend" translation ( the guy I spent a ton of money on to be here) and most are on the QDM bandwagon because of MONEY.

Money corrupts all. If the simple things like huntin and fishin.

Now I have to go Pheasant hunting and I will shoot at Rooster I see no matter how long it's tail is .

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6680646
12/01/19 04:26 PM
12/01/19 04:26 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
As another Michigander I agree 100%, MUCC which does support our right to trap has been less than on the up and up when it comes to our deer regulations. They loss my financial support because of it. If our trapping org. had a membership option without automatic MUCC I would rejoin. Honestly I prefer to tag out on deer meat as quick as possible so I can trap my behind off.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6680976
12/01/19 10:27 PM
12/01/19 10:27 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
I like big horns so i pass on the little bucks we have does running out our ears so we dont wory about protecting the herd through the does . We harvest as many does as we can for meat . The blue tongue has been around us
the last couple droughts. its hit them hard all around us but has not hurt the pop on our farm . I think its the cattle waters that make fresh well water available that dosnt have the bugs in it that pond or stagnant creek water has .

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6681218
12/02/19 09:12 AM
12/02/19 09:12 AM
Sullivan, Ohio
R
RV6 Offline
trapper
RV6  Offline
trapper
R

Sullivan, Ohio
Hey "neighbor", go ahead and let that "future trophy buck" walk. When he crosses on over to my place, his growing is done.

Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: RV6] #6681233
12/02/19 09:24 AM
12/02/19 09:24 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by RV6
Hey "neighbor", go ahead and let that "future trophy buck" walk. When he crosses on over to my place, his growing is done.

x2

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: twild] #6681250
12/02/19 09:49 AM
12/02/19 09:49 AM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
Originally Posted by twild
Shoot what ever makes ya happy, hunting is supposed to be fun.

mostly this.

I typically put the first deer I can get a shot on in the freezer.

we are allowed 2 bucks, so if the first deer is a small buck, I'll generally pass on smaller bucks to keep that tag open in case the bruiser comes by.

other than that, I'll take all the does I can put in the freezer.

example, this year I haven't been out as much. I killed a spike on the firearms opener.
this past saturday, I passed on several small bucks hoping for a doe or big buck. neither happened.

Josh
Re: Shooting small bucks vs doe deer [Re: charles] #6681285
12/02/19 10:49 AM
12/02/19 10:49 AM
Arkansas
A
Artrapper16 Offline
trapper
Artrapper16  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
I try to kill does but if we don't see any and a small buck walks up I'll take him home with me

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread