No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Boco] #6681787
12/02/19 10:56 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Originally Posted by Boco
That's pure BS if he deals like that.I definitely wouldn't sell under those circumstances.I can see some big Indian choking him out if he starts throwing his fur in the truck before he owns it.LOL.
Even the HBC/NWC buyers didn't deal like that.

Fur stays on the counter till a deal is made then its tossed over a half wall into the back part of the truck. I never have much fur and I dont live in a great fur area. So far I have been good with his offers might of made more elsewhere but he stops 30 minutes away quick and easy.

You can back your truck right up to the window, have seen multiple guys do that.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681788
MO-IL
greggsinthehouse Offline
trapper
greggsinthehouse  Offline
trapper

MO-IL
Yeah the same 2x2 window that the guy b4 me was throwing up 10 half frozen bloody yotes in the round. Then I throw my fur up there and it soaks up all the filth.

I wouldn't want my fur back at that point!

This literally happened to me last yr. And no, he only bought about half of the guys bloody yotes "in the round". One was rubbed to heck and had the intestines hanging out.

The ol boy didnt skin one of them!

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
She should stay home and do more cooking like Babe Winkelmans wife did, and let her husband have some peace and quiet.
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: mnsota] #6681789
12/02/19 10:57 PM
12/02/19 10:57 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Originally Posted by mnsota
Bring a step stool! wink

Seen a few guys back their truck right up to the window.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: greggsinthehouse] #6681794
12/02/19 11:01 PM
12/02/19 11:01 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Originally Posted by greggsinthehouse
Yeah the same 2x2 window that the guy b4 me was throwing up 10 half frozen bloody yotes in the round. Then I throw my fur up there and it soaks up all the filth.

This literally happened to me last yr. And no, he only bought about half of the guys bloody yotes "in the round". One was rubbed to heck and had the intestines hanging out.

Guy ahead of us last year was selling green frozen beaver, and he had a lot. By a lot I mean he had them loaded in a box trailer. They were all frozen in plastic grocery bags, guess he was getting a set price per skin because they were just tossing them in the window and the truck guy was tossing them in the back of the truck. They never even took them out of the bags.

Last edited by Chuckles84; 12/02/19 11:01 PM.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681802
12/02/19 11:06 PM
12/02/19 11:06 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I wonder why GFW has never done much in South Dakota? Yeah, they've had 3-4 stops in the southeast area but never went much west or certainly not north. You would think if they are expanding into Canada, they would do much more of eastern SD. Maybe they are and I just haven't heard about it. They must be pretty tight with Dakota Snarelines, that's their main se SD stop or so it appears...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681805
12/02/19 11:11 PM
12/02/19 11:11 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Based on some of your experiences you should sell to someone else. If that was everyone's experience do you think that'd still be in business?

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681808
12/02/19 11:20 PM
12/02/19 11:20 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
I have sold to them in the past with no issues.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681817
12/02/19 11:30 PM
12/02/19 11:30 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
The question was asked and seems some don’t like the answers. The fact is get some over time and make up your own mind. When I call them and watch their video and do everything they ask and you see a guy come in the first time he sells to them with a load of burred non combed muddy crap rolled up 1/2 froze some green some freezer burnt and none of them cleaned up and he offers him $2 more per coon hide than yours and everyone else’s then I call him out. I have watched this same scenario over and over. Most folks don’t want to gropple over green fur. The AVERAGES are not much different in the quality of fur in a region and yes there are exceptions but you all that trap and average it out in the same region trapping the same critters know what the average fur is period.
What really kicks me in the nuts is you spend more time on the presentation that he talked about in last years video and then watch what happens and watch it more than once watch it 4 or 5 or 6 years then make up your own mind.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681822
12/02/19 11:42 PM
12/02/19 11:42 PM
s.e. mn
T
timbremn Offline
trapper
timbremn  Offline
trapper
T

s.e. mn
It's a two sided deal.
He offers a price.
You decide whether or not to take it.
It's really that simple.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: greggsinthehouse] #6681828
12/02/19 11:47 PM
12/02/19 11:47 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by trapdog1
I've never seen fur disappear in the truck. You pass it thru the window yes, but then its sorted into piles you can easily see, and stays there until the deal is done. My experience, anyway.

I don't have any trouble seeing through the window and watching him put the furs in piles on the counter top. He always asks what you have before anything, my guess is so he can get them sorted into the right piles to keep the average where he wants it. I don't care as long as its where I want it too! I have haggled and gotten a higher price, I have taken his first offer and I have said no and hauled my stuff back home. No skin off his teeth or mine. It's business deal, he understands that and so should the seller.

I have also kept the lower end furs and sold only the higher dollar ones, more than once.

Originally Posted by greggsinthehouse

If it bothered you that bad, all you'd of had to do is ask and they would wipe it up.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681832
12/02/19 11:51 PM
12/02/19 11:51 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Thaw out a load of green fur haul it a 100 miles or more an hour before dark arrive at the truck then turn down the price and take it all back and freeze it again or start putting up fur like crazy.
Better yet send it to an auction house where you cant get it back and it sits for a couple years and then bankruptcy is declared.
There has to be some integrity somewhere. If your going to put out on video to clean up and brush your fur and present it well then honor what you preach or stop lying about it. They know ahead what average they are giving
But if he can beat you out of another dollar cause you done went to all this trouble to get it there he knows most will sell anyway.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681835
12/02/19 11:59 PM
12/02/19 11:59 PM

M
MsgRet
Unregistered
MsgRet
Unregistered
M

Never had a problem. I've seen folks present some pretty bad looking fur in the grease. Many are early coon. They often hand it back and I can't blame them. It's like some people don't read all of the fur forecasts for months prior to the season like WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE PRIME. Sure, they are averaged out but they are in business. If you put up fur with care you may even get a compliment.

Last edited by MsgRet; 12/03/19 12:14 AM. Reason: Added and deleted sentence.
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681836
12/03/19 12:00 AM
12/03/19 12:00 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
You have way more options if you finish your fur.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: 8117 Steve R] #6681957
12/03/19 08:23 AM
12/03/19 08:23 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Yep

Eh...wot?

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6681970
12/03/19 08:52 AM
12/03/19 08:52 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Who is Colt Furs to GFW, an ally, a subsidiary? I guess I answered my own question about why GFW hasn't "expanded" into SD more. Its because they have these (this) guy do it. So the question is who is Colt Violet to GFW...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6682062
12/03/19 11:16 AM
12/03/19 11:16 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Don't worry Hutchy, I'm sure Groeny will treat Canadians just like they were Americans. Maybe better, since NAFA is no longer one of your options. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6682092
12/03/19 11:53 AM
12/03/19 11:53 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
If you bring green fur to GFW . . . .

1. Don't bring more than what you can refreeze if you don't care for what he offers. Either that, or prepare to put them up later that day. You're selling green fur. It's a risk.

2. Bring it semi frozen. Not in a bowling ball shape. Not all thawed out. Review his video and see how he wants it.

3. Bring your fur cleaned up. You should be able to take pride in what you throw on the counter. No burrs, no silt, no mud, combed out and looking good.

4. When you're in line, have your fur in something or on top of something to keep it clean and off the pavement. I can't count the number of sellers I've seen that threw their 'coon into a pile on the ground and kicked it along while they were in line. When I've arrived at a stop and there is already a line and more are coming, I throw a tarp down at the back of the line and pile my 'coon on top that while moving it forward as the line moves forward. If it's raining or snowing I cover the fur with a second tarp. Not to diss any one user group, but it's been my experience that the fellas who take the least care in presentation of their 'coon are 'coon hunters. Then they whine about the price they receive.

5. If you're dissatisfied with the offer, speak up. Make sure you understand why you have been offered what you've been offered. If you think you're a 'coon grader, then take colored zip ties and lock them through the eye of your better looking 'coon grouped by what you assume to be the same grade before you head to the stop. After he's finished sorting, you can then ask why a particular 'coon is in one pile versus another.

6. Skin your 'coon the way they want 'em skinned. Maybe GFW doesn't want a money cut on their 'coon.

7. Don't try and sneak a damaged 'coon through by freezing the 'coon folded so the knife cut is hidden. Murphy's Law states it will be found eventually. Better yet to 'fess up as you throw it on the counter and hopefully your honesty will be rewarded down the road.

8. Take advice given and thank the fellas for buying your fur. They're trying to make a living. You're not. If you were, you wouldn't be selling green fur to GFW.

9. Learn how to put up your fur. Makes life simpler. If your time budget doesn't allow for it, then selling green fur to GFW is what it is. Figure out what the average is for put up 'coon versus green 'coon. Figure out how long it takes you to put up 'coon. Then ask yourself if I use that time that would have been used to put up fur and instead set more traps, catch more 'coon, skin and freeze, will I make more money?

10. Buy another chest freezer. Not one that defrosts.

11. Keep it fun. If it isn't, and you need that money, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Dirt] #6682096
12/03/19 11:59 AM
12/03/19 11:59 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Originally Posted by Dirt
Don't worry Hutchy, I'm sure Groeny will treat Canadians just like they were Americans. Maybe better, since NAFA is no longer one of your options. smile

I wasn't worried at all. Just wanted to see everyone get into a shouting match

[Linked Image]

That's the thing about Canadians. People think we're nice!

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6682103
12/03/19 12:16 PM
12/03/19 12:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We are nice,people don't like nice.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Groeny? [Re: Hutchy] #6682104
12/03/19 12:19 PM
12/03/19 12:19 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
My brother always used to say two things.

1. Women like nice guys for ten minutes tops.
2. Women have more control than you will ever know.

So Boco i agree with you. a lot of people don't like nice lol.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread