No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682126
12/03/19 01:11 PM
12/03/19 01:11 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
A Faraday device is a conductor that keeps electric charges on the outside of the device. So basically a met box...like your car.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682138
12/03/19 01:36 PM
12/03/19 01:36 PM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Mike is right, if the larger transformers are knocked out, it would take months or years to get electricity back on line. We no longer make or stockpile these transformers due to EPA regs. They all come from South America now and to ramp up production would take quite a while.

Faraday cages are not designed to conduct electricity or emp charges to ground. Grounding actually makes item MORE susceptible to damage. They are isolating devices. A common faraday device in just about every home these days is a microwave (unplugged). Electronics placed in there would survive an emp. It is the double insulation of an item that makes a faraday cage. Think of it this way, If you place items to be protected in a metal garbage can they will still be affected as the emp energizes the metal can and items in the can are fried. You can put the trash can on a wood (or other non-conductive surface) but this will only help minimally. However, if you use a large can and a smaller can you, place a wood board in the larger can, set the smaller can on top and then place wood between the sides of the two cans AND then put on the lid to the smaller can and the bigger can without them touching each other; you now have a homemade faraday cage.

As for autos, all newer ones would be fried. Older cars would start once you replace the points and condensers. If your not old enough to understand that statement, or know someone who is, you will be walking. You also have to have access to these pre-electronic vehicles.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682148
12/03/19 02:00 PM
12/03/19 02:00 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
We will have to go to Cuba to get car parts.

Anybody got any idea how big an area would be affected from a bomb the size we dropped on Japan. Would the electric part be bigger than what the wind and radiation would wipe out anyway. Does the thing have to go off up in the atmosphere or on the ground?
Just checked my unopened bottle of potassium iodide, its still there and I feel safer already, lol.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682155
12/03/19 02:14 PM
12/03/19 02:14 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
An EMP is detonated some distance above the earth and radiation/destruction is not an issue in comparison to a ground burst. One launched from either side of the US could shut down the entire country.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682181
12/03/19 02:58 PM
12/03/19 02:58 PM
Utah
foxhunter52 Offline OP
trapper
foxhunter52  Offline OP
trapper

Utah
We've covered a few "What Ifs" here. How about another one. What if an EMP was successfully detonated over the US by a country intent on taking over. The only military we would have would be that which was deployed in other places or on Naval carriers. Other than that, ground soldiers would be our only means of defense on the home front. I do however believe that if there was a successful EMP it might well be an act of domestic terrorism. I would then hope humanity would prevail and other nations would come to our aid. And to be truthful, I really don't believe any of this will happen! It's just kind of interesting to speculate on the event it MIGHT.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682246
12/03/19 05:01 PM
12/03/19 05:01 PM

C
CGilliam
Unregistered
CGilliam
Unregistered
C

On the bright side, none of my traps or snares have electronics in them, I don't think I'll starve. Shot by jealous husband maybe, but not starve. smile

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682263
12/03/19 05:13 PM
12/03/19 05:13 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by foxhunter52
We've covered a few "What Ifs" here. How about another one. What if an EMP was successfully detonated over the US by a country intent on taking over. The only military we would have would be that which was deployed in other places or on Naval carriers. Other than that, ground soldiers would be our only means of defense on the home front. I do however believe that if there was a successful EMP it might well be an act of domestic terrorism. I would then hope humanity would prevail and other nations would come to our aid. And to be truthful, I really don't believe any of this will happen! It's just kind of interesting to speculate on the event it MIGHT.

No one ever does think it will ever happen......................but then we have Iran, North Korea and China...............................

Last edited by SkyeDancer; 12/03/19 05:14 PM.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682271
12/03/19 05:20 PM
12/03/19 05:20 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I think modern weapons are going a different direction.Russia is more interested in improving on weapons similar to the older neutron bombs that will annihilate humans but leave valuable infrastructure intact.
Just move in after the attack and clean up the rotting corpses.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682280
12/03/19 05:25 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
The big guys are not going to start anything like that. They stand to much to loose in trade. If it does happen it’s going to be a country like Iran , Korea etc.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682281
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
E.M.P.,,or hacking into the computer systems and shut everything down.Either way,,,gonna get ugly when no gas, or no food on shelfs.No banks open to get money.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Scuba1] #6682285
12/03/19 05:31 PM
12/03/19 05:31 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Scuba1
The big guys are not going to start anything like that. They stand to much to loose in trade. If it does happen it’s going to be a country like Iran , Korea etc.

I tend to agree with you...not something a domestic terrorist could accomplish

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Marty] #6682338
12/03/19 07:04 PM
12/03/19 07:04 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by Marty
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I live along a river that has millions of salmon and a huge moose population , as well as beaver.I Have my own well and generator. Sled dogs, boats ,chickens, quail for eggs and meat. And bees for meed grin
Have a wood stove. Logs drift to my house every spring so easy firewood. I keep a net for fish year round. Also have the knowledge to dry meat and fish for long term storage ,and have a small garden too.
Your all welcome to my house for dinner. If you can get here.

I need the map grid reference #'s..... smile

I wish I could move to a spot like that..kudos to you.

Sure I can give you directions. Just need to get over the Chilkoot trail to Lake Bennet, then it's smooth sailing 1900 miles down the Yukon to my house.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682418
12/03/19 08:14 PM
12/03/19 08:14 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Smooth sailing ? I can do that

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Foxpaw] #6682514
12/03/19 09:35 PM
12/03/19 09:35 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
We will have to go to Cuba to get car parts.

Anybody got any idea how big an area would be affected from a bomb the size we dropped on Japan. Would the electric part be bigger than what the wind and radiation would wipe out anyway. Does the thing have to go off up in the atmosphere or on the ground?
Just checked my unopened bottle of potassium iodide, its still there and I feel safer already, lol.

The bombs dropped in Japan were (IIRC) in the 15-20 kiloton range... firecrackers in comparison to what is used today.

You would need to detonate a fairly high yield device (hundreds of kilotons to megatons) in the upper atmosphere ( 18 to 60 miles up IIRC) for it to be effective for an EMP attack. That's far enough up that blast and fallout aren't an issue.

It sounds simple in theory... But you need a decent bomb, a way to get it several miles up in the atmosphere, and then detonate it in the sweet spot over the North American continent for full effect... And most of the calculations are just that, calculations. Nobody really knows all the variables you'd have to figure in... I suppose somebody could get lucky and black the entire country out, but I think that would be a long shot. But frying the grid in a quarter of the country would be pretty bad.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682534
12/03/19 09:42 PM
12/03/19 09:42 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma

I would lay money that most military installations are hardened, at least in part, for this scenario... And since EMP is a byproduct of nuclear detonation I would guarantee that our missile solos are protected... Along with our ballistic missile submarines.

A country might manage to cripple the US electrical grid but I doubt they would live long enough to celebrate or invade us.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682545
12/03/19 09:51 PM
12/03/19 09:51 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Someone should come up with a bomb that can completely destroy the atmosphere.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682559
12/03/19 10:08 PM
12/03/19 10:08 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I wonder if some kind of super virus that would affect all the computers would stop everything in this country. The electric plants and grid are all controlled by computers along with all financial systems and all communication systems. Seems like it would have the same effect.

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6682580
12/03/19 10:28 PM
12/03/19 10:28 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline
trapper
brianmall  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Who says it's got to be man made or caused?

There is debate about what kind of technology we have at Armageddon. Almost seems as if we have lost all our technology by that point.

Maybe one of these things renders most of our tech useless?

Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: Marty] #6683685
12/05/19 02:15 AM
12/05/19 02:15 AM
Cleveland IL
muddyriverdogz Offline
trapper
muddyriverdogz  Offline
trapper

Cleveland IL
Originally Posted by Marty
An emp or cmi that knocks out the large majority of the power grid in north America would result in 25%+ of the people dead in 30 days, 25%+ more dead in 90 days and 25%+ more dead in a year. Nuclear power facilities would melt down due to no power to cool them. No food or any type of product delivery.
If you can find a spot where you will have enough food/water/shelter to survive for the first 90 days your odds of being able to live for years after would go way up.
If the larger components of the electric grid are fried there are really no replacements available. It would be a very long time for 'normal' times to return if they did at all...the strong/self-reliant people would do the best, the weak/unable to care for themselves would not do well at all.
Food/water/shelter.....staying hidden would be better than 'fighting off the hoards'.

I will go with Marty on this.and add.

Nowhere would be safe. As the Nuclear reactors started melting down and ejecting radioactive waste into the atmosphere uncontrolled my bet is all of humanity would be lost. Humans would become part of the fossil record for some other life form in the future to dig up.

A God would have nothing to do with it. Man would have perished at his own hand's.

At the rate the world is going it's almost inedible.A solar flare could cause the same.

Last edited by muddyriverdogz; 12/05/19 09:49 AM.

You only live once, so get over it!

Tactics may change but the goal remains the same.
Re: Nuclear EMP [Re: foxhunter52] #6683720
12/05/19 06:38 AM
12/05/19 06:38 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
There's a fellow at work who I would call a borderline prepper. He's convinced one day he will need every item he's stored over the years. In fact, he's says the world has become prideful and needs to be humbled. I believe he'd like to see something catastrophic happen just to see if he could make it through. Actually he's kind of an idiot.

"When the disaster is upon us,,the time to prepare has past".

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread