No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized #6681988
12/03/19 09:24 AM
12/03/19 09:24 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Raccoon Was Once a Thanksgiving Feast Fit for a President?

College kids wore raccoon coats?

Poor people hunted them for food (what great recipes?)

Mark Twain "missed" coon when traveling abroad?

How can these things spark resurgence of wild game?

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Raccoon-Was-Once-a-Thanksgiving-Feast-Fit-for-a-President

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6681996
12/03/19 09:28 AM
12/03/19 09:28 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
A different Time for sure!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682005
12/03/19 09:35 AM
12/03/19 09:35 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
I wonder if somehow the 1920's "boom" where college boys were wearing raccoon coats was because urban sprawl had yet to create the, "Trash Panda." And also because maybe the raccoon were still considered "not well known" or "exotic." How could these two theories be combated in 2019?

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682017
12/03/19 09:57 AM
12/03/19 09:57 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
A nice colored coon has some of the most gorgeous fur of any of the long haired critters. It has gotten to be the fad to diss them and put them down. A big silver black coon from my area to the ND area is a beautiful animal!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682131
12/03/19 01:21 PM
12/03/19 01:21 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
When a guy I went to high school with mother found I did some trapping, she asked me to catch her some coon. After I skun and cleaned two coon for her, she baked them, even had some of the best dressing I've ever had. That lady's long gone now; her recipe with her. Don't know anyone who cooks coon anymore.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682140
12/03/19 01:37 PM
12/03/19 01:37 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you like turkey legs , coon legs really aren't that different in taste or texture , a string dark meat.

at a December camp out I cooked one up for the boys a few years ago , caught a young female in the morning skinned her up and cooked her all afternoon .

my wife objects however to serving coon at home.

the boys really liked squirrel , we would do tin foil squirrel on the coals of the fire , a squirrel is sort of an individual serving size , BBQ tin foil squirrel was a favorite around the fire.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 12/03/19 01:38 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682157
12/03/19 02:18 PM
12/03/19 02:18 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Coon down South are highly prized in certain communities. We can sell skinned carcasses for $15-20 and possums whole for $5. A coon is more apt to be taken from a trap than anything else. I’ll get calls first normally though. All I ask for is a pic, gender, and which foot it was caught in.

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682199
12/03/19 03:32 PM
12/03/19 03:32 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Raccoon Was Once a Thanksgiving Feast Fit for a President?

College kids wore raccoon coats?

Poor people hunted them for food (what great recipes?)

Mark Twain "missed" coon when traveling abroad?

How can these things spark resurgence of wild game?

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Raccoon-Was-Once-a-Thanksgiving-Feast-Fit-for-a-President

I seen a video a few years back of a squirrel cook off in some small town. What I found interesting was they interviewed a lot of Millennial's and they said they were all against buying meat from the store because it wasn't raised in a way that is good for the environment. They said they weren't vegetarians because they don't eat meat, they don't eat it because it conflicted with they're beliefs but they do eat wild game because they view it a natural sustainable food source. That's why they were at the squirrel cook off to gain recipes. I don't welcome the competition for small game lol, but I think it cool that they want to hunt and put food on there tables. So, my point is, if good coon recipes were targeted to that demographic because a lot of them won't hunt or trap but will eat wild game, I would imagine it may create a better market. Just my thoughts.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: Catch22] #6682234
12/03/19 04:46 PM
12/03/19 04:46 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by Catch22

I seen a video a few years back of a squirrel cook off in some small town. What I found interesting was they interviewed a lot of Millennial's and they said they were all against buying meat from the store because it wasn't raised in a way that is good for the environment. They said they weren't vegetarians because they don't eat meat, they don't eat it because it conflicted with they're beliefs but they do eat wild game because they view it a natural sustainable food source. That's why they were at the squirrel cook off to gain recipes. I don't welcome the competition for small game lol, but I think it cool that they want to hunt and put food on there tables. So, my point is, if good coon recipes were targeted to that demographic because a lot of them won't hunt or trap but will eat wild game, I would imagine it may create a better market. Just my thoughts.

I do wonder if that angle could work. If people embraced the food, they might embrace the fur.

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682243
12/03/19 04:59 PM
12/03/19 04:59 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

I do wonder if that angle could work. If people embraced the food, they might embrace the fur.

they sure should but , sense often has little to do with it.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682251
12/03/19 05:04 PM
12/03/19 05:04 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH

I actually think it may with the older Millennial's as they tend to not waste much when it comes to food, my observation only. Gen Z, forget about it lol.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682252
12/03/19 05:06 PM
12/03/19 05:06 PM

C
CGilliam
Unregistered
CGilliam
Unregistered
C

I made quiche with Coon on my channel. Oddly, it's one of the vids that never gets views, but it's a really good way to prepare it for someone that has never had it.
I have a freezer full of the things I really need to cook.

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682264
12/03/19 05:14 PM
12/03/19 05:14 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I used to eat coon when I was younger, and we drifted creeks to shoot deer. Once the sun went down we had no problem finding a coon on a sand bar. We boiled our coon, then battered it and fried it in lard. Rubber coon fat on our leather boots.

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: ] #6682290
12/03/19 05:44 PM
12/03/19 05:44 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by CGilliam
I made quiche with Coon on my channel. Oddly, it's one of the vids that never gets views, but it's a really good way to prepare it for someone that has never had it.

Not sure what the video title is but maybe rename it. Something like sustainable meat recipe or something. Who knows, it might make for a fun experiment.

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: ] #6682292
12/03/19 05:46 PM
12/03/19 05:46 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by CGilliam

Thanks Chris!

Re: Neat story on how Raccoon was utilized [Re: nyhuntfish] #6682301
12/03/19 06:00 PM
12/03/19 06:00 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
I may have to try that with groundhog, got plenty in the freezer and that looks good. Thanks for the recipe!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread